4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Gas Milage Problems! Please Read.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 09:02 PM
dajawu
2nd Gear Member

Default Gas Milage Problems! Please Read.

Hey guys,

I keep track of my gas milage all the time and lately it has been getting worse! I have no idea what is wrong if anything. Normaly I would get high 16 to low 17 mpg. Mind you all the driving I do is stop and go, I am usually never on the highway. I also give it gas every now and again but I would say each tank of gas should see exactly the same kind of driving on average. After I got my dyno tune my gas droped to low 15mpgs. At first I thought mabey it was because I was using the 87 octane tune, so I tried puting in 93 and using that tune, but it got no better. My next tank of gas droped even more to mid 14 mpg. Then my most recent tank was high 13 mpgs. Now I am really worried because it has been getting worse. Is there anything that might be causing this? Cold weather, the tune? I am goign to fill up in a few days and check if it has gotten worse. If so I am going to switch back to my stock tune just to see if that helps, other than that I dont' know. Does anybody have any ideas? Thanks for your help.

P.S. I typed this really quick just now so it might be worded funny. Sorry.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:22 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Gas Milage Problems! Please Read.

First, octane has nothing to do with your milage. Octane functions to prevent detonation only.

Having a tune on your car to increase hp/tq (correct, right?) would more than likely cause your milage to drop. It's a trade off we all make eventually.

DId you disable the O2 sensors or anything like that?

Go ahead and go back to the stock tune first. IF that fails, come back and give the forum another shot.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:23 PM
dajawu
2nd Gear Member

The reason I mentioned my octane is because with the 93 tune I have advanced timing.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:29 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Got it. Usually advancing give better power and gas milage. Still, I think it's your tune.

^bump^
Old 12-07-2005, 11:30 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Probably driving habits. Reguardless... YOU DRIVE A FU*KING SPORTS CAR! GAS MILAGE REALLY DOESNT NEED TO BE CONSIDERED WITH A SPORTS CAR! Now... If you really want better gas milage, go get a Yugo!
Old 12-07-2005, 11:49 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Accurate, if not eloquent, jdaniel.

Don't mind jdan, he's addicted to gas fumes. Just don't say anthing bad about Kenne Bell. LOL

Old 12-07-2005, 11:53 PM
dajawu
2nd Gear Member

Ahh thanks for gracing me with your intelect Jdan, I have forgoten how far your knowledge extends. You see I thought this forum was a place for people to ask questions, and make comments on mustangs. I didn't know it was a forum for questions to be responded to with moronic posts simply reminding me that I drive a sports car! Thanks Jdan but I know. Do me a favor, for a few seconds stop being a ***** and go re-read my post. You might notice that I stated that my concern was my sudden drop in MPGs, not that I was getting horrible MPGs without a basis of comparison. The fact that I lost about 2.5 miles to every gallon raised my concern, hence the post. Next time you don't have an answer, just don't answer. There is no need for me or anyone to have to waste time reading a brilliant post such as yours. Jdan I really am not trying to be a d*ck but you got to understand you come across as a *****. Ohh and now instead of anyone worth listening giving me good info this thread is going to become off topic, thanks again Jdan.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:05 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

What modifications do you have done to your car?

You must have some serious money in it for it to be anywhere near that bad of gas mileage. That, or there is something wrong with it.

Obviously, I don't have a huge amount of mods done yet...but i still average 22-24mpg on the highway...and 19-21 in the city. It all depends on how bad you beat your car every time you get in it. I get on the gas every now and then, but it rarely sees redline, and I'm only on it for very brief periods...which gives me the decent gas mileage.

Not sure what your driving habits are, but unless you have serious money in your vehicle...I would say the problem lies in something other than simply owning a sports car. Which I'm sure you already picked up on....

Your mods?

Type of Mustang?
Old 12-08-2005, 12:13 AM
dajawu
2nd Gear Member

First off thanks for the response, this is more what I was looking for! I only have CAI, catback, and tuner. I know this MPG just isn't right thats why I asked. I only do city driving, seriously almost no highway. I don't beat my car but don't get me wrong I give it gas when I need to. Even when I do, I don't redline my car at all. Like I said in my first post I drive the same every tank of gas. I drive to the same places, the same distances, and I give it gas about the same. Everything I do is pretty much the same. I will try my stock tune to see if that helps, but if it doesn't I dont know whats next. Sports car or not, I can't be happy with 13MPG when otheres are getting 20.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:26 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

What year and model Mustang is it?

I don't know of any Mustangs ever made that should see that low of gas mileage with those mods. I don't even think the 03/04 Cobra's are anywhere near that bad. Now, I'm not sure on the Cobra since I have no hands-on experience with them...but that gas mileage is terrible even if you floored it numerous times.

Now, I'm definitely not qualified to give automotive advice beyond the basics...so I'm not going to lead you with BS. Maybe some of the more experienced members here may be able to give you some troublehooting advice, but I would take it back to the tuner and make sure everything was ok. Or take it back to the stock tune and adjust the timing back to normal. Try and take out any changes that you made prior to the gas mileage going downhill to narrow things down a bit. If none of that changes the mileage( I doubt timing has any relevance)...take it to a couple places and have them take a look at it.

Forums are a great place to learn, meet people and get an idea of how things work. But when things are going seriously wrong or your asking for true automotive assistance...it's hard to sort the BS from the guys who really know their stuff. A lot of people suffer from SPES (Self Proclaimed Expert Syndrome) when they're on internet forums.

Quick Reply: Gas Milage Problems! Please Read.