4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

X2 Balljoints & Ride Height

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2005, 11:28 AM
JHonor
2nd Gear Member

Default X2 Balljoints & Ride Height

Ok, here is my dilemma. I have a 2002 GT convertible with Steeda Sport springs, They've been on it for some time. The ride height is good and liveable as a daily driver. However, the linear 600lbs spring rate is a bit much, especially on the convertible, and the car is starting to develop a bit of a bumpsteer problem. I also am starting to hear a thud in the right front over some bumps now, so needless to say, I am going to be having suspension work done, but I want to do it a little different this time. I want to go with the Steeda x2 balljoints and bumpsteer kit along with a set of progressive rate springs, but I am always told that the balljoints lower the front even more than the springs. So I was hoping to find a set of springs that lower the front less than the Steedas, and have the balljoints lower the car the rest of way. I don't want to go any lower than the Steedas because the Washington DC area has some very crappy roads. Also the convertible has a skidplate under the oil pan that I'm not sure the coupes have. It causes many more ground clearance issues. So in short, does anyone know of a progressive rate spring that lowers a little less than most? I was thinking of going with FFRP B springs, or the others that work with the convertible. Any thoughts?
Old 12-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

Default RE: X2 Balljoints & Ride Height

if i where you i would just call steeda basicaly you know what you have and what you want tell them and they will be able to help you pick out the right springs for what you want
Old 12-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

Default RE: X2 Balljoints & Ride Height

Steeda X2 aren't the only option, check out these (which work just as well):extended ball joints
I'm pretty sure I've seen sets that are even cheaper elsewhere.
I don't know for sure that they would lower your car (this is the first time I've heard that) but they will correct the geometry. That being said, if you want more ride comfort or the ability to stiffen/soften things up on demand, you should seriously look into adjustable shocks and struts such as Tokico D-spec.
There are other geometry correcting products such as adjustable tie-rod ends and offset rack bushings that you may want to consider as well. Also dialing in the prefect caster/camber (i'm assuming you have CC plates) will make a huge difference.
Keep the skid plate on there. it may sound bad when you scrape it but that's alot better than flattening your exhaust pipes and robbing power. I've driven through D.C. enough times to know that bottoming out is almost inevitable with those pot-holes.
Finally, mustangs are just plain noisy, especially convertables. Every bump you feel is magnified by how much you hear it. I'd look into putting some fat-mat or dynamat in the trunk and underneath the carpeting to really quiet it down.