4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mach 1 out of commision

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 04:47 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Default Mach 1 out of commision

Ok, Here it goes. From one red-light I raced a Lightning SVT and a Silverado, and some v6 POS (mustang)(and beat em all :-p, in the process i did redline 1st... but I drive that harder on the track). Well, after that light, I was driving normal, and when I reached cruising speed for the road (55 mph), something popped, then went "ka-chunk" and the car died. When I restarted the car, and was changing lanes, something scraped (metal on metal) and then i could drive fine... but:
1) i have no acceleration, as in, im revving to 3-4k and when i shift, it shifts clean (so internal tranny parts seem ok) but it isn't transferring the power... 4k rpm in 4th gear = 45 mph... doesnt sound right. and good luck going beyond 50mph.
2)My car has practically 0 exhaust noise, i can still feel exhaust come out of the tailpipes, but it doesnt resonate.... essentially my car sounds like a taurus or a 3.8l

I'm not getting a CEL or any other 'idiot' light for that matter, so, any ideas what the hell happened to the car?

BTW it's allready at the dealer (still under factory warranty) I didnt tell them about the racing, or the track (duh, cause they'll void the warranty) but, I'm trying to figure out if this will be covered or I'll have to pay out of pocket. Thanks
Old 12-09-2005, 04:53 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mach 1 out of commision

Do you know that a dealer can actually tell how you've been driving your car by the comptuers? So you don't have to tell them. Anyway, last time I checked driving hard won't void your warranty. As for the problem. Couldn't even begin to tell ya.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:29 PM
IownaMustangNow
3rd Gear Member

hmmmmm...i dont knowwww
Old 12-09-2005, 05:36 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

ORIGINAL: blueangelfightr

Do you know that a dealer can actually tell how you've been driving your car by the comptuers? So you don't have to tell them. Anyway, last time I checked driving hard won't void your warranty. As for the problem. Couldn't even begin to tell ya.
If they can prove that you "abused" the car, they can very easily tell you to go fug yourself. I have seen dealers refuse to warranty things like a trans or a rear end where the guy had been racing.

You can get it warrantied, but you would have to take them to court to get your money.

I don't have a clue what's wrong with your car dude. You definitely broke something. Anything I can think of would probably stop the car from running all together.....unless it was a timing chain. I guess technically the 4 valve could still RUN on two or three cams. It would just be really sh1tty.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:59 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Im not to worried about the "abuse" of the car... the guy I bought the mach from actually works at the Ford dealership, so he's gonna help me get this figured out.... but it still preturbs me the strangeness of the noises etc, could it be i popped a timing chain off and that is accounting for the lack of power? it doesn't sound like the car is misfiring, but im not entirely sure what this could be... I hope I didnt break anything in the engine and it's all drivetrain (somewhere the splines are loose or something, and not x-fering the power to the wheels) 'cause that'd be cheaper to fix.... still open to ideas, thanks
Old 12-09-2005, 09:20 PM
xx9gt6xx
4th Gear Member

Odd...Never heard of something like that before [:@]
Old 12-09-2005, 09:23 PM
mrjohnwayne

sounds like the clutch disk and or pressure plate let go. It is a manual correct.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:26 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

Yea, its manual, but if the disk/plate let go, why can I still drive it now? or is it slipping?
Old 12-09-2005, 09:29 PM
BCisme
5th Gear Member

well, you said you have very little exhaust noise, meaning air isn't coming out so it aint going in. so it's an engine problem. it's running, so the rotating assembly is intact somewhat, meaning your block is still good. wich is good, because it's worth money. especially if your crank is still good. sounds to me like you may have broken a few valves, and they got into the combustion chamber. or maybe a bent rod. let us know what they find when they take it apart.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:36 PM
dlazrael
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BCisme

well, you said you have very little exhaust noise, meaning air isn't coming out so it aint going in. so it's an engine problem. it's running, so the rotating assembly is intact somewhat, meaning your block is still good. wich is good, because it's worth money. especially if your crank is still good. sounds to me like you may have broken a few valves, and they got into the combustion chamber. or maybe a bent rod. let us know what they find when they take it apart.
Is it possible to break valves and such with those stresses? Perhaps it was damaged from the runs at the track and just decided to break now? I'm really hoping maybe something got stuck in the air intake and thats what happened, I didnt even think of it that way.. (no air in = no air out). But, I just went to get stuff out of the car from the dealership and I turned it over, when i rev is up, i can hear exhaust out the right but not the left (as I sit in the car). So, if anythign it may be on the left side of the engine? Any idea how long this could take to fix, and if it should be covered by warranty?

Quick Reply: Mach 1 out of commision