4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

my experiences at pepboys....

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 03:16 AM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: my experiences at pepboys....

I have a Walbro fuel pump now but I'm going to put in a 300lph Ford pump cuz I'm going to drop the tank anyway to drill some holes in the fuel pump bucket. I know the Walbro has enough for my set up but since I'm dropping the tank I want this other pump I found later.I want to drill the holes because on the first run I did toward the end of the run I think the car leaned out. What I think may have happened is that the bucket was emptied. The bucket only has one inlet for fuel and it sure seemed like that's what it did cuz I felt a power decrease and it seemed as if the car needed fuel. I looked out the rear window and there was white smoke. At least I think it was white but it was dark. This guy has some good info about emptying the bucket and he also has a 300lph Ford pump made for a returnless system. I'm not sure what car it's from though. He will also supply a new bucket since I modified mine to fit the Walbro.

http://www.vmptuning.com/cart/produc...1&cat=6&page=1
Old 12-12-2005, 03:38 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ive got that 310lph pump that he sells... its pretty nice, i havent drilled holes in the bucket though but i havent gotten on it much yet to notice.... only taken it up to around 5lbs since im untuned....

yes, i do have a new IAT. i cut the 2 outer wires to the maf and went to the junk yard and found some wrecked expedition with a 5.4 and a IAT sensor and plug. took the sensor and plug and put it on the stang and it works perfect. ford wanted 100 bucks for the parts when i got them for free!!! haha. hooked the outer wires (grey ones) to the IAT according to the color code on them and she started right up with no codes

ive also got some homemade looking powerpipe on my stang.

im going to have them tune it safely to around 410-415rwhp if it gets over 400. im hoping it does but anything is possible. if i did miss a shift running that much power... would i screw anything up as long as im rev limited at 6k rpms?
the guy thats doing it is Robert at ride revolutions in johnson city tennessee... its a real big car shop so some of you may know of it....
Old 12-12-2005, 04:03 AM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

ive got that 310lph pump that he sells... its pretty nice, i havent drilled holes in the bucket though but i havent gotten on it much yet to notice.... only taken it up to around 5lbs since im untuned....

yes, i do have a new IAT. i cut the 2 outer wires to the maf and went to the junk yard and found some wrecked expedition with a 5.4 and a IAT sensor and plug. took the sensor and plug and put it on the stang and it works perfect. ford wanted 100 bucks for the parts when i got them for free!!! haha. hooked the outer wires (grey ones) to the IAT according to the color code on them and she started right up with no codes

im going to have them tune it safely to around 410-415rwhp if it gets over 400. im hoping it does but anything is possible. if i did miss a shift running that much power... would i screw anything up as long as im rev limited at 6k rpms?
the guy thats doing it is Robert at ride revolutions in johnson city tennessee... its a real big car shop so some of you may know of it....
Wow sounds like you did it right. How did you find out about that pump? I have my rev limit set to 65K but I set the shift points at 6000. Actually when it shifts the tack hits 6200. I actually hit the rev limiter once by accident. I down shifted and thought I put it all the way back to drive but it was still in second. I held it to the floor and was waiting for it to shift when the fuel cut off but everythings fine (oops). This guy that blew the motor had like 475 HP on an 05 so he was asking for it anyway. The guy that was telling me about it said it was soo F**ked up. He said that coolent backed all the way back through the blower. You definetely don't want to ever hit that limeter so I would set it to about 65K. If you cut off that fuel it could blow the motor.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:06 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Voodoo

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

Wow sounds like you did it right. How did you find out about that pump? I have my rev limit set to 65K but I set the shift points at 6000. Actually when it shifts the tack hits 6200. I actually hit the rev limiter once by accident. I down shifted and thought I put it all the way back to drive but it was still in second. I held it to the floor and was waiting for it to shift when the fuel cut off but everythings fine (oops). This guy that blew the motor had like 475 HP on an 05 so he was asking for it anyway. The guy that was telling me about it said it was soo F**ked up. He said that coolent backed all the way back through the blower.
for the pump, i did some research on here for awhile before i ordered anything... about 4 months of research on parts can do wonders... haha.

do you have a boost gauge in your car? do you know how much vaccum you read at idle and how much boost your getting around 6k rpms?
Old 12-12-2005, 04:10 AM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

I'm getting a boost guage and fuel guage for christmas with the plate that replaces the black plastic around the speedo with the 2 places for them. Do you know what car that pump is from?
Old 12-12-2005, 03:38 PM
04GunGT

haha yeah that sucks man......well there is a reason that those asshats work at pepboys
Old 12-12-2005, 04:32 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

Great story, I had a similar experience at a Tire Kingdom (similar to Pep Boys but much more popular in FL), guy was convinced my car had the 5.0 motor, and after I showed him that wasn't true he swore his buddies girlfriend has a 2000 with the 5.0 motor so they must have changed it in 2001. I guess in all fairness he was only off by about 7 years!

edit- Forgot to mention the whole reason I went there was to see if they installed LT's or could recommend someone, needless to say after we got done arguing that an xpipe does the same thing, I left without anymore 'professional' advice.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:01 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

yeah theres idiots all around here. a guy with a 5 speed stock 6'er think he can take my GT cuz its an auto and alot of the LS1 guys with stock cars think just because they can walk a stock GT that they will be able to take mine even though its modified. don't even get me started on the mexicans and their rice burning mobiles. just ask Prophecy he lives 2 minutes from me. He gets even more **** than i do lol
Old 12-12-2005, 05:08 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DILO2001GT

yeah theres idiots all around here. a guy with a 5 speed stock 6'er think he can take my GT cuz its an auto and alot of the LS1 guys with stock cars think just because they can walk a stock GT that they will be able to take mine even though its modified. don't even get me started on the mexicans and their rice burning mobiles. just ask Prophecy he lives 2 minutes from me. He gets even more **** than i do lol
Do you have a blower on that car? Kinda looks like it.What gears do you have. Let me guess 4.10.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:12 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

then he wanted to run and all those stupid mechanics were on his side and were like "HES GOT A CHIP".
please do not refer to tire monkeys are mechanics.

Quick Reply: my experiences at pepboys....