4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

can someone tell me how much HP i prob have with my mods?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 12:13 PM
chrisman242

Default can someone tell me how much HP i prob have with my mods?

hey yall.. i gotta 96 gt. the mods are the following,

2 and a half inch pipes from the headers, two high flow cats, x pipe, flowmasters.

the PI intake manifold on the none PI heads. and my throttle body is bored out. with a K&N air filter and that plastic guard is taken off too,

the car had one of thos cheap 10 dollar chips in it that you see all over ebay that claim 20 hp but when i put that in and take it out, i notice almost nothing at all. so right now i just leave it out because it messes with my check engine light,

and i have a bad O2 sensor, does that effect my HP at all? by making my car not run right ? or to rich or lean?

what should my next mod be? i was thinking about getting a real throttle body instead of ghetto bored out one that i dont think makes a diff. or should i get a CAI?

and/ maybe 3.73 gears?

does anyone know how much it would cost to get the gears done? and does anyone know any good cheap CAI kits i can buy? and what should i look for when i buy one. i see the cheap ones on ebay for like 30 dollars, but it dosnt have the MAS on it or anything and i was wondering of that would mess with the car or not or how do they expect that to help the car at all without the mas?

i just want more power for less money.. :/ any sugestions would be great, and if you guys could tell me what my hp prob is, to the crank and rwhp.

and how much torque i have and how much i lose through the drive train to the wheels?

thanks guys!
Old 12-19-2005, 12:20 PM
Bad04OrngGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: can someone tell me how much HP i prob have with my mods?

2 1/2 from the stock headers of do u have aftermarket
Old 12-19-2005, 01:43 PM
01yellowgt
3rd Gear Member

for gears it will be about 450 installed. ~200 for gears, ~100 for the install kit, and install will vary mine was 150
If you are looking for your performance, dont got 3.73, get 4:10's. If you do get 3.73's you will wish you would have gone the 4:10

Dont worry about the mas, you wont max it out while you if you stay n/a.

But for a cheap CAI just check on ebay. But instead of the CAI, you might get a short throw shifter instead. mgw, or tri-ax? or one of the others.

Old 12-19-2005, 02:41 PM
MikeHawke
Retired MF Moderator

If you actually have headers with your exhaust, you might be putting 200 hp to the ground.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:47 PM
xx9gt6xx
4th Gear Member

Go w/ 4:10 gears. $450 out the door parts and labor at a shop around me. I'd say your at like 220-225 at the crank and like 190 or so at the wheels...
Old 12-19-2005, 09:44 PM
Gregs68
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xx9gt6xx

Go w/ 4:10 gears. $450 out the door parts and labor at a shop around me. I'd say your at like 220-225 at the crank and like 190 or so at the wheels...
wow, id guess more than that... at least 200-205 at the wheels...
Old 12-19-2005, 11:20 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Who cares about HP, goto the track and get a trap speed... thats all that matters.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:04 AM
chrisman242

so 4:10 gears huh? for 450.. hehe i know what im wishing for this christmas.

can i still use the 4:10 gears on the highway? what rpm is 60 - 70 mph with thos gears?

and will i have a problem with spinning my tires on the launch with the new gears? right now all my tires want to do is spinwhen i step on it in first, they dont grip like iwant them too.. they are the 245 45's on the back.. i got the car with 255's but i didnt think it would make that big of a diff putting 245s on there when i got new back tires.

and will a short throw shifter put any more ware and tare on my tranny? i just hit 126000 miles today and i started thinking about how old the car is getting.. i kinda want it to go fast but not really hurt it any more than usual lol..

thanks guys!
Old 12-20-2005, 01:21 AM
Slick97gt
2nd Gear Member

Im guessing more like 210 to the wheels, the pi intake even without the heads adds a significant amount of power. If you re running LT's, maybe even more.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:43 AM
01yellowgt
3rd Gear Member

with the t-45 trany(same as i have), 60 mph is right inbetween 2100-2200 70 mph is right inbetween 2500 and 2600rpm

Yeah spinning will be more of a issue with the 4:10's, if you spun in 1st, and chirped second, you will probly can spin in 2nd. Your car wont have to try as hard to accerate. I still have 245/45/17's and I spin in first and second. Just dont dump the clutch from to high, its better to just go from idle( or no more than 1500) and then you can get on it with stock tires with low gears. Doing that you will spin, but you will be moving. If you was wanting to launch harder(geared or not) and not spin you would have to go a drag radial tire that is wider.

Others probly have more experience launching with stock tires. I guess you could say theres an art to launching with stock tires, and I can admit i havent totally mastered this. So if you got that down you can launch with any gear on stock tires.

Gears are pretty much one of those performance that show the most improvement dollar for dollar from the boltons. Tires with suspension will help out traction issues

Shifter would just make the throws shorter, and faster. So, you have less of a chance to grind a gear since each it is going in gear faster and makes it impossible to miss 3rd(pretty much have to be trying to miss the gear). So I would say it would be say it would help the trany, instead of harming.

CAI helps, just my opinion that the shifter helps more(even though no hp is added).

Switching out your non-PI heads for PI heads would give a nice increase also

It all comes down to what you want, and what your planns are. Mods can be a never ending story.

Quick Reply: can someone tell me how much HP i prob have with my mods?