4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

K-member information needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 09:36 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Default K-member information needed

Okay, I know dick about tubular k-members. I know they are lighter, but that's it. I've looked on the forum, but can't find any threads about them. So...

1. Are they race application only or can I use one on a daily driver?

2. Will they damage anything (potentially) in either case?

3. Are they as strong as a stock member?

Thanks.
Old 12-22-2005, 11:54 PM
mustangsel
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: K-member information needed

I'm going with the UPR k-member. I talked to the guys over there and they said that there k-member can be used on a daily driver.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:10 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Yeah, but why would you want to spend the money one them, unless you're going to go turbo or something.
Old 12-23-2005, 12:13 AM
mustangsel
2nd Gear Member

I'm redoing everything on my car. I'm doing everything put a power adder. That will come next. Plus I heard that the tubular k-member is a lot lighter then the stock.
Old 12-23-2005, 01:28 AM
racer02GTstang
5th Gear Member

after im out of debt from the blower, my next step is to do a tubular K-member... ive done some research and with most of them you have to get new control arms and a coil over suspension as well.. also they are streetable... improve handling... and are lighter. for me, im trying to get as much weight off the car as possible since its a convertible and its already heavy. im not sure on what brands are good to go with though for the k members.. i wonder if the UPR one is any good because its cheap.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:31 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

Yeah, but why would you want to spend the money one them, unless you're going to go turbo or something.
Well, there is the weight savings and the clearance for LT headers for a start. I'm not looking to drag the car, but weight is important and having access to the headers is crucial.

You can buy a D&D k member with spring perches (or set up for coilovers) for $248 on ebay. Shipping is #35. So, less than $300 is not much, really.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:34 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

UPR is cheap for a reason.... I would suggest you look into Maximum Motorsports for suspension parts. Top quality stuff. Just remeber, 99% of the time you get what you pay for.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:25 AM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Check out www.griggsracing.com they have info on the benefits of there suspension systems which apply to other manufacturers also.

"By installing our GR-40 K-Member and Coil Over system, the car can be lowered even further without hurting the geometry. The SN-95 spindles we installed previously have added over an inch of suspension travel. The K-Member radically reduces scrub-radius and corrects Ackerman, so steering response is much improved. Caster is nearly doubled for better straight-line stability, control arm locations are changed to reduce body roll and to eliminate the remaining components of brake-dive.

Prices for the Tubular GR-40 front end pieces which together eliminate about 50 lbs. of weight from the front of your Mustang, start around $1,189.00." qoute from griggs racing....

"Ackerman -
AKA "Toe out in turns". When turning the inside tire must turn more than the outer tire because it is turning on a smaller radius"

"Scrub Radius
Definition: The distance between the extended centerline of the steering axis and the centerline of the tire where the tread contacts the road. If the steering centerline is inboard of the tire centerline, the scrub radius is positive. If the steering centerline is outboard of the tire centerline, the scrub radius is negative. Rear-wheel drive cars and trucks generally have a positive scrub radius while FWD cars usually have zero or a negative scrub radius because they have a higher SAI angle. Using wheels with different offset than stock can alter the scrub radius."

"Caster -
The forward inclination of the spindle or strut - like the forks on a bicycle"

I believe that griggs has the best suspension systems for a mustang, but thats my opinion, but I am sure it is, I just cant prove it. It is expensive but its true you get what you pay for. You may be able to get a k-member for $300 but the geometry of it isnt the same as the griggs k-member. Its probably just mimicing the stock k-member and the only benefit is the weight savings.

If you want to go crazy you can get griggs new SLA (short long arm) suspension. It has an upper and lower control arm for up front.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:09 AM
Dark_Horse
3rd Gear Member

if you are going turbo a Tubular K makes it alot easyer to plumb everything. yes they are streatably they just weight 50 lbs less.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:09 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Thanks everyone. I'm not looking to turn my car into a road racer or anything. I want to reduce weight and create more room for the BBK LT headers I want. I've spoken with my friend who races stangs and has used D&D k members on several cars without complaint, so I'm moving in that direction.

I know in most cases you get what you pay for, but occassionally you get a good deal. D&D is a well known company. The $248 is not a kit, it's only the k member with perches.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: K-member information needed