4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Blown gasket...

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 03:29 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Blown gasket...

ORIGINAL: racer02GTstang

how did you get through the fenderwell in your car? is there something i missed on how to get to the side of the motor to install headers easily like that? i went from the bottom and top to tighten the bolts. [:@]

Drop the K-member out of the car... which takes a long *** time. Support the engine without the kmember... jack and 4x4's

thats the drivers side though, the passenger side is more of a bitch even with the kmember out.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:40 AM
2004 GT RagTop
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2004 GT RagTop

is he talking about header gasket or head gasket? does the car feel like crap driving also or does it just sound like crap? if it just sounds like it.. could just be a blown header gasket and thats not to big of deal compared to a head gasket. you just have to take off the X pipe and take off the manifold (not as easy as it sounds) and put the new one on. about a 2-3 hour job depending on the side its on.
The car drives fine but sounds like crap. Basically I think my car got messed up because one night coming off this exit I did not realize the roads were so bad, I proceeded to drive in some of the biggest potholes I've ever seen (or not see in this case). My car has been sounded like junk since then, thats when I went to go see the mechanics.

I don't really know much of anything about the technicality in cars, and this sounds like something that would require more skill/knowledge then I possess. But they won't work on it since the pipes are o/r, what do you guys suggest I do? It seems as though it is a blown "header gasket" which thankfully you guys don't think is as big of a deal as a blown head gasket. What kindof purchases am I looking to make here? And how will I go about actually fixing it?

ugh this sucks.

well.. if its the header gasket... you will need to buy some new header gaskets for your car from like summit racing or something.. i would go with a good gasket that wont blow out and will last a long time like the percys.... if you have the money and want new headers, this would be the time maybe....
ok good deal. I would love headers...but i'm in college right now...enough said lol. I actually do have the cash for headers, but I think I want to save up and get headers/gears/SC all in one swoop, as opposed to going one by one.

http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...=egnsearch.asp

^^ is that would I am looking to purchase here, not sure b/c those appear to be just seals, but hey like I said..I don't know tech

Old 12-27-2005, 03:41 AM
2004 GT RagTop
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

how did you get through the fenderwell in your car? is there something i missed on how to get to the side of the motor to install headers easily like that? i went from the bottom and top to tighten the bolts. [:@]

Drop the K-member out of the car... which takes a long *** time. Support the engine without the kmember... jack and 4x4's

thats the drivers side though, the passenger side is more of a bitch even with the kmember out.
Is this how i'm going to have to fix the header gasket, or did I just misread your post? I'm hopin I misread it b/c that sounds like a bitch lol
Old 12-27-2005, 03:59 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Is this how i'm going to have to fix the header gasket, or did I just misread your post? I'm hopin I misread it b/c that sounds like a bitch lol

If you dont have long tubes people have done the shortys without doing all that. Personally I dont see how cause there is no room from above, but its much easier with the shortys and damn near impossible with long tubes.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:08 PM
2004 GT RagTop
3rd Gear Member

If you dont have long tubes people have done the shortys without doing all that. Personally I dont see how cause there is no room from above, but its much easier with the shortys and damn near impossible with long tubes.
hmm alright thanks.

Well three questions then I guess

1) My SES light has came on ever since my car started sounding like crap. To insure that it is a blown "header gasket" as opposed to head gasket, should I find out what codes are tripping that light?
2) If it is a blown header gasket, is the product in that link what I would be looking to purchase?
3) hmm dropping the k-member is something I've never done before, would you or anyone be able to give me instructions on how to do so online? Or better yet, if I could somehow get access to a lift, would that be the best route to fix it?
Old 12-27-2005, 04:50 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

If the car runs fine but sounds like crap, then it's a header(exhaust manifold) gasket. If it ran and sounded like crap then it would be a head gasket blown to the outside. As stated above, if you have shorty headers, it's not too difficult (best to get it from below) If it's a long tube header...have fun [&:]

The SES CEL or whatever light is trippin because you've got excess air entering the exhaust system that the car can't adjust for.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:49 PM
2004 GT RagTop
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Derf00

If the car runs fine but sounds like crap, then it's a header(exhaust manifold) gasket. If it ran and sounded like crap then it would be a head gasket blown to the outside. As stated above, if you have shorty headers, it's not too difficult (best to get it from below) If it's a long tube header...have fun [&:]

The SES CEL or whatever light is trippin because you've got excess air entering the exhaust system that the car can't adjust for.
alright cool, thanks.

Yea the car runs fine. It was sitting outside for a couple weeks in the cold while I was away for college (shoulda put it in the garage, but my parents cars were in there), and when I came home for break the car wouldn't start intially. I had to push the gas at the same time as the clutch to finally get it turn on. I'm gonna say that it was due to the cold weather and not being turned on in awhile? Other than that incident the car goes through the gears and everything fine. When I turn off the car, it is an ABRUPT stop, like the car just cuts off very quickly. But that appears to be due to the exhaust and not anything with the engine.

Yea I have stock headers so thats a good thing in this case. Still waiting to hear if the Perceys 4seal gasket is what I need to purchase..
Old 12-27-2005, 08:57 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Ahh, you got a bunch of issues to look into.

For the SES light, you will need to have the codes pulled, I've never seen a header gasket tripping a code, it might be that your Eliminators failed and tripped the light.

As for the header gasket, that WILL be a PITA to get to. I'm assuming you have stock manifolds, you won't have to drop the k-member to get to the gasket. You can loosen up the motor mounts, jack the engine up a little and give your knuckles some more room to move around.

As for the car not starting, I went down to storage after not starting my Cobra for 2 weeks, I didn't give the fuel pump time to prime and it wouldn't start after 3-4 seconds of cranking. Turn the key into the on position without engaging the starter, give it a few moments, you'll hear the pump prime...and I bet she will fire right up every time.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:19 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Derf00

alright cool, thanks.

Yea the car runs fine. It was sitting outside for a couple weeks in the cold while I was away for college (shoulda put it in the garage, but my parents cars were in there), and when I came home for break the car wouldn't start intially. I had to push the gas at the same time as the clutch to finally get it turn on. I'm gonna say that it was due to the cold weather and not being turned on in awhile? Other than that incident the car goes through the gears and everything fine. When I turn off the car, it is an ABRUPT stop, like the car just cuts off very quickly. But that appears to be due to the exhaust and not anything with the engine.

Yea I have stock headers so thats a good thing in this case. Still waiting to hear if the Perceys 4seal gasket is what I need to purchase..
If I were you, I would get the stock midpipe put back on. Then take it to the dealer and let them fix the gasket under warranty. Your 04`s warranty should still apply. Alot cheaper that way as for labor costs which will put a huge dent in your wallet.