4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Best intake manifold???

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 05:37 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Default Best intake manifold???

I saw the other thread about that new typhoon instake manifold. I have been wanting a new intake manifold. But I am not sure which would yeild the best power. I am having issues with my accufab peice. So I want to buy a new setup. So here are my options.

1. Buy a C&L upper plenum, 75mm throttle body, and C&L intake tube, C&L 85mm MAS, and C&L CAI filter.
2. Bullit intake manifold with new Throttle body, (not sure which size, C&L intake tube and a 85mm MAS and CAI.
3. P-51 intake manifold, 75mm throttle body, C&L intake tube and 85mm MAS and CAI filter.
4. Typhoon intake manifold and #1.
5. or some other setup.

Old 12-31-2005, 05:53 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Best intake manifold???

I would get the p-51 but I don't think I have seen the Typhoon. Do you have the link? What's wrong with the accufab?
Old 12-31-2005, 05:56 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

By the way I think your car looks bad *** with that front bumper and black wheels.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:01 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

yeah, why buy upgraded factory mustang parts if you are going to do a new intake. Get the p-51 I say.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:04 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

I thought the P-51 was pretty much for race only applications. Ask Code about that, he'd know for sure.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:05 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the compliment. Well I have the accufab plenum and stock throttle body on. With the MAC straight shot CAI w/ 85MAS. my problem is when I let off the gas the rpms stay at like 2000rpm for a few seconds then drop to 1250rpms for a second or two then drop to the normal 750rpms. When I had the accufab TB on it was worse. For some reason. I thought it was because they have a step down adapter for one of the vacuum lines so I drilled it out and used the stock size tubing. That did nothing. So I just want to junk it or sell the good parts on ebay, and buy a new setup. Plus the MAC straight shot doesnt really line up well, its about to fall apart.

Heres the typhoon intake, it was also posted in another post. http://www.rpmoutlet.com/musv8dynotune.htm

I think the p-51 intake would be just as much of an improvement as an aftermarket plenum and tb and intake. Because they gained about 15hp over a completely stock motor. thats how much you get with a plenum and throttle body. I dont know.... I was thinking about just getting the C&L stuff.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:13 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

my problem isnt the throttle body position sensor because I bought a new one and put it in and it did nothing so I returned it. I thought it might be the idle air control valve but it is opening and closing. I bought one but never tryed it because once I tryed it I would have to keep it. Its like $150. But mabye now I am thinking that, thats my problem. I should just buy the idle air control valve and just hope that $150 solves my problem. But Still I would like to buy a new setup. I hate my MAC straight shot setup it fits so terribly. I have to stretch everything and its held together barely.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:28 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

Hmm that's weird. When you open the throttle by hand it doesn't stick or anything. I have the Accufab and it works perfect. Did you try putting the stock breather tube and MAS back on to see if anything changes?
Old 12-31-2005, 06:37 PM
Aixtreme89
5th Gear Member

Yeah I have opened the throttle by hand and it still does it. Nothings getting hung up on the line. It does it a little bit with stock setup. But with the accufab setup it just worsens it by a few seconds. I tryed every setup, peice by peice. I know its real weird. I dont know what it is. I think its something to do with the vacuum. Thats my only guess. It just takes so long to drop in rpms. But either way I want to buy a new intake manifold. What do you think the best setup would be?
Old 12-31-2005, 06:44 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

I had the same sort of issues with a MAC CAI. It did this so bad, sometimes when letting off for a stop, the engine would die. All problems were solved for me when I got rid of the MAC

Quick Reply: Best intake manifold???