4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What oil does everyone use here???

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 01:28 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: What oil does everyone use here???

i use motorcraft synthetic 5w20. ford recommended (duh) and is cheaper than mobil 1.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:33 PM
n/a_threat
2nd Gear Member

Valvoline Synpower 5w-20 with a Motorcraft oil filter, still viscus at every 4 month change.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:11 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Royal Purple 5w-30 full synthetic. Car loves it and my oil pressure is always right up there almost instantly on start up. I also use the Purolator premium oil filter that is rated #1 on "multiple" pass through of oil cleaning efficiency. Synthetic oil gives you almost instant oil pressure, increased rpm's, increased horsepower, increased oil drain intervals, absolutely no sludge/varnish build-up, virtually "0" wear on internal engine parts, and......starts at 30 below zero the same as if it were a hot July summer's day. A 5w-30 synthetic will pour at almost 50 below zero. Try that with a conventional oil...you wouldn't even get a drop out of the container at that temperature. Mobil 1 ran an engine 200,000 miles and then checked each internal part with a mic. All parts still qualified for tolerances considered that of "new" parts. Royal Purple, Amsoil and Redline are considered "premium" synthetics due to their exotic additives and extremely pure base stocks. Mobil 1 is also very good.

I was able to buy Royal Purple's synthetic the other day at Pep Boys on sale for only $4.99 a quart. Good buy for an oil like that. Yes, synthetic is more expensive that conventional oils but they are worlds better. If you drive an average of 12,000 miles a year and change your oil every 3,000 miles, that is 4 oil changes a year. If you change your conventional oil every 2,000 miles, that is 6 times a year. With a good synthetic, you can easily run your engine 4,000 miles between oil changes, which would make only 3 times a year. Do the math, it really isn't any more expensive. But....always use a premium oil filter for best results.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:14 PM
closer9
2nd Gear Member

I use Motorcraft synthetic blend 5/20. Use the same thing in the fiance's Civic...
Old 01-05-2006, 03:15 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

I've experimented with quite a few oils.
Summer I do best with: 5w-20 Royal Purple
Winter I do best with: 0w-20 Moble one
Old 01-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SilverGTV8

ORIGINAL: Tim37

2-20 thats what is recomended buy the facotry.

Ummm that's 5-20

That's is whats recommend from the factory. You can use 5-30. I wouldn't go any thicker.

As for a brand I run Royal Purple and have zero complaints.
what you can't buy 2-20 where you live? sorry i ment 5-20 and factory.
Old 01-05-2006, 03:35 PM
SilverGTV8
4th Gear Member

I have tried with no luck
Old 01-05-2006, 03:53 PM
denizen
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: white04gt

ORIGINAL: Emann0007

Ford Motorcraft 5W-30. Am I the only one not running synthetic???
Don't feel bad emann, I can't afford 40 dollar oil changes either, I have been going to a place that uses semi synthetic for about the same price (25) as normal oil so I don't think that's too bad. Can't remember the brand though.
I wanted to learn how to change my oil to a) save money and b) learn about my car. It's a great way to be "introduced" to your car. I also use Castrol GTX which is non-synthetic I believe?

So if you're interested in changing your own oil I found a great how-to article on Mustangworld that is specific to the 4.6. It is as they say a messy job but it's a lot of fun. I just bought some rhino ramps, oil refuse container, and some basic stuff like a filter wrench and I already had the socket set on hand, plus the oil and filter. Give it a try
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/oilc1.htm
Old 01-05-2006, 05:14 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

I'm with Deannostang Royal Purple 5W-30 or go home. Nothing beats it!!!
Old 01-05-2006, 05:51 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: denizen

ORIGINAL: white04gt

ORIGINAL: Emann0007

Ford Motorcraft 5W-30. Am I the only one not running synthetic???
Don't feel bad emann, I can't afford 40 dollar oil changes either, I have been going to a place that uses semi synthetic for about the same price (25) as normal oil so I don't think that's too bad. Can't remember the brand though.
I wanted to learn how to change my oil to a) save money and b) learn about my car. It's a great way to be "introduced" to your car. I also use Castrol GTX which is non-synthetic I believe?

So if you're interested in changing your own oil I found a great how-to article on Mustangworld that is specific to the 4.6. It is as they say a messy job but it's a lot of fun. I just bought some rhino ramps, oil refuse container, and some basic stuff like a filter wrench and I already had the socket set on hand, plus the oil and filter. Give it a try
http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/oilc1.htm
i will let you get some practice if ya want to change mine sunday.

Quick Reply: What oil does everyone use here???