4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Overdrive off

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 02:26 AM
2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Overdrive off

99's. and by time I get all the way accross the line im going 100. Don't be jealous that my car is cooler than yours. haha [&o]
Old 01-08-2006, 03:51 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aking287

Why would you even turn it off for a race??? It does nothing to have it turned off except it will never shift into O/D. It doesn't make it any faster or anything. That makes no sense to me to want to drive at 4k rpms. H pipes sound better at lower rpms. If you like high rpms get an x pipe, they sound better at higher rpms than h's. Or better yet I'd say get a civic or something if you like to keep the engine wound up like that.
Well I like the way my h-pipe sounds at all rpms. Why would having rice have anything to do with keeping my engine wound up? Dont worry about what I do, just worry about what you do with your car. All I did was ask a question and wanted an answer, and I got it. You aint gotta jump all over me for doing what I do. With that said, thanks everyone for the responses'.
Old 01-08-2006, 07:30 AM
bobjenkins
1st Gear Member

I would just keep it on but what do I know haha

Im not sure if it will mess up anything ..but if you do turn it off all the high RPMs over time will wear your parts out faster
Old 01-08-2006, 07:35 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

I'm gonna keep it on, now that everyone has assured me that it wont help and parts wont last as long.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:14 AM
janine
3rd Gear Member

I have an 02 Auto 4.6 running 373 RWHP and I leave the overdrive on except when I nail it. Since I am running 3:73 gears, I tach out at about 118mph and I can feel the rev limiter hinting back and forth. When I activate the overdrive at that time, I can go till 138mph. Yes, it does rev higher with the overdrive off and it will not hurt the engine in it's self, but as a rule of thumb, higher revs will wear out an engine faster, that is obvious. If you want to drive with overdrive off all the time, you will lose about 1 to 1 1/2 miles per gallon and the action will cause your computer to relearn your driving style. You can expect a loss of passing gear for a few days untill your computer gets reacculamated with the higher rpm settings.

Out of curiosity, do you get passing gear every time you hit on it? I ask because I don't and it annoys me big time. I would say I get a drop 50 percent of the time with a really strong kick down 1 in 10 times. Any imput would be appreciated.
Old 01-08-2006, 05:29 PM
aking287
2nd Gear Member

Wow man no need to get all defensive about it. I'm just wondering why you would want to run your car at 4k all the time. I mean you have a muscle car that's pretty loud even at low rpms since you have exhaust, and its gonna stand out no matter what without riding around at 4k. I'm not gonna tell you what you're doing is wrong just trying to understand.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:42 PM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

I wasnt trying to get defensive towards you or anyone. I was just trying to figure out myself if it was good or bad.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:20 PM
2001 GT conv

Turning the OD off does change the shift pattern for all gears. Cruise at 30 and turn it off, jumps 500 RPM's. Take it to the floor and it olds each gear longer. I'm sure its just a computer change.
Old 01-08-2006, 11:32 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2001 GT conv

Turning the OD off does change the shift pattern for all gears. Cruise at 30 and turn it off, jumps 500 RPM's. Take it to the floor and it olds each gear longer. I'm sure its just a computer change.
I think I read one time that you shoud race with over drive off. I have not timed my car both ways though. I only had my car at the strip one time and I forgot to run it with it off. The TQ converter has a lockup schedual for 2nd 3rd and 4th but I'm not sure if the button has anything to do with it. If you have a XCal or XCal2 and you have used the old xtreme software you can view and change when it locks the lockup clutch in the converter. Very cool. I am holding off updating my XCal2 to the new version update for this reason. You can't use the Xtreme software.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:34 PM
aking287
2nd Gear Member

If you are WOT the car is gonna shift the same with the O/D off or on. It will shift at the redline. Now if you're not at WOT then it probably does shift differently. But I doubt that it makes your car any faster to run it with the O/D off. No matter what at WOT its gonna shift at the redline.

Quick Reply: Overdrive off