4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

3 Grand? What would you buy??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 01:23 AM
shuribob
1st Gear Member

Default RE: 3 Grand? What would you buy??

Kenne Bell is the way to go. They make a complete kit and I did it with a friend in 8 hours over two days. No other add ons needed. They are a dream to work with and answered all my questions before and after the purchase. The power from the twin screw comes full on by 2000rpm so plenty of low end torque. After that I would work on the suspension to put the power to good use. By the way Kenne Bell provides a burned chip to jump your computer tuned to your mods.

1997 Rio Red Cobra Coupe, Kenne Bell Supercharger at 7PSI, Kenne Bell Open House Hi Flow Manifold, Kenne Bell Boost a Pump, Superchips Excalibrater II Tuner, MSD Blaster Coil Packs, C&L TrueFlow Inlet Intake Power Pipe, Super Chips MAF with K&N Filter, UPR O/R x pipe, MagnaFlow Catback Exhaust
Bilstein Shocks and Struts, Kenny Brown Sport Springs, Kenny Brown Extreme Matrix System
Kenny Brown Rear Shock Tower Brace, Kenny Brown Lower Chassis Brace, Kenny Brown Caster Plus Kit, Steeda Lower Control Arms, Lakewood Upper Control Arms, Ford Racing Aluminum Drive Shaft with Safety Loop, T/A Rear End Girdle, B&M Pro Ripper Shifter, Autometer Guages, Raptor Shift Light
Hood Struts, Rear quarter Sail Panels, Side Scoops, Custom Striping
275/17 X 9” Front 315/17 X 10.5” BFG drag radials Rear on Cobra R Rims
Old 01-09-2006, 03:42 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

I would spend about $1,000 or so on the suspension and get some DR's
Then I would get a catback, headers, midpipe
Gears and a tuner
All this with a good driver could put you in the high 12's to low 13's in the 1/4 and also give you a very respectable N/A GT.
Old 01-09-2006, 03:50 AM
David_K
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nanaki

ORIGINAL: Hyper00

why does almost everyone assume that everybody can get LTs on here? some of us live in states where we have to pass emissions, and that won't happen with LTs. those aren't like a midpipe that you can quickly unbolt and bolt back on in an hour for the test.
My friend has LT's and a shorty catted h-pipe. He passes emissions just fine.
that's great, and where does your friend live? do they do a visual inspection? in northern va, you can't pass with an off/road or LTs. otherwise i would have gotten them. i'm not wasting my money on shorties.
hey nanaki. i have some bassani mid lengths im not using.

oh and passing emissions with LT is easy. what you dont have an extra $50 in your pocket.
Old 01-09-2006, 01:29 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Not sure how expensive, but there are many things you can do... I would research it. I also agree with the above.. some control arms, and suspension upgrades would be needed too.. what good is a supercharger if you don't catch traction for 10 seconds? Drag radials won't do all the work...
Old 01-09-2006, 02:33 PM
Cumstang02
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hyper00

why does almost everyone assume that everybody can get LTs on here? some of us live in states where we have to pass emissions, and that won't happen with LTs. those aren't like a midpipe that you can quickly unbolt and bolt back on in an hour for the test.
My friend has LT's and a shorty catted h-pipe. He passes emissions just fine.
that's great, and where does your friend live? do they do a visual inspection? in northern va, you can't pass with an off/road or LTs. otherwise i would have gotten them. i'm not wasting my money on shorties.
They do a visual inspection of your exhaust? Are they looking for headers? There is no reason you can't pass emissions with headers.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:48 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

Shuribob, where can I find a kenne belle for 3 grand? I haven't heard of anyone getting a kenne belle for around that price. If you can find a link of one, that would be of great help.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:51 PM
Steeda1716
3rd Gear Member

I dont think you can,Why not just get the kit from vortec?
Old 01-09-2006, 09:23 PM
Shifty Powers
3rd Gear Member

people always complaining about emissions... do you guys not have local shops that do inspection? if so most of the time they do not care, as long as the car is in working order and its just emmisions... they slap on a sticker for ya... plus most of um like us muscle car guys so... theyr all for it...

just maybe not where u live... o well... and now... NJ has 2 year inspection stickers WOOOO!!!!!! yae for me
Old 01-09-2006, 10:35 PM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

I think I am going to get a brand new kit from vortech, I just don't like the idea of buying a used blower. Do it once, do it right is my moto. So with my income tax return and such, I should be around 3500, with a little bit more saving I'll be aroudn 4,000 by April and hopefully I will buy it!!!
Old 01-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Slick97gt
2nd Gear Member

My vote would be for gears, tuner, exhaust, suspernsion, tires, and a nice 100 shot of nitrous.

If you go that route, you should have a much better performing car that can put the power it makes to the ground other then a close to stock ride with a bolted on supercharger that can drop her into 3rd at 65 and roast the tires.

Im in no way hating on superchargers, but I think people need to do the things to handle the power also.

Quick Reply: 3 Grand? What would you buy??