4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Ticking sound getting louder

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 07:56 PM
mcget29
2nd Gear Member

Default Ticking sound getting louder

I have a stock 4.6 01GT and it makes this werid ticking noise after the engine heats up a little, if its just idling i cant hear it but when im driving at like 30 and put it in 3rd or 4th ( pretty much whenever its at a low RPM ) and give it gas it ticks with every turn of the engine, is it an exhaust leak, its definatly coming from the engine, tonight when i drove it it was even louder than usual idk if it being 20 degrees out has something to do with it someone please respond to this and tell me whats wrong and how to fix it. IT REALLY PISSES ME OFF!!!!
Old 01-15-2006, 10:02 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Ticking sound getting louder

To find a possible exhaust leak you can use smoke bombs.Light a couple and toss them up the exhaust pipe,then stuff the tailpipes with rags.Go under the hood and look for smoke.You might not be able to see smoke but you should be able to smell the distinct smell of sulfur based smoke bombs.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:47 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

I have heard thet happening to a couple people right before they blew a spark plug out. Most of the time I would think exaust leak but have known this to be an issue on Mustangs. Check your spark plugs. Or even better put a new set in. It can't hurt.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:33 AM
Jglisson
3rd Gear Member

Sparks plugs would be my first check...then exhaust leak possibly.

Beyond that...you are tearing into the engine. Worst case scenario of you have a bad cam chain guide. A worn or cracked guide will result in the ticking noise you described.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:49 AM
dan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Chopper

To find a possible exhaust leak you can use smoke bombs.Light a couple and toss them up the exhaust pipe,then stuff the tailpipes with rags.Go under the hood and look for smoke.You might not be able to see smoke but you should be able to smell the distinct smell of sulfur based smoke bombs.
sounds like a good idea, but would cats stop the smoke. Just asking for him, i have an o/r pipe.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:29 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dan

ORIGINAL: Chopper

sounds like a good idea, but would cats stop the smoke. Just asking for him, i have an o/r pipe.
No I wouldn't think so.Cats only work when they are at a high temperature.But this is awfully far up the exhaust so maybe run a can of Seafoam through the engine.It smokes like he11.If there was a leak it would definately find it's way out at the manifold.The spark plug idea is an excellent idea,and an extremely urgent thing to check.There might be no damage yet but If it's allowed to develope further it could severely damage the head.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:39 PM
mcget29
2nd Gear Member

well since i live in MA, and it was 9 degrees out last night i started up my car and the exhuast smokes like hell when its that cold out, i had my buddy hold it a 3,000 rpm, and i didnt see any smoke coming from the engine or underneath the car, so idk, ill probably by a new set of spark plugs soon though
Old 02-01-2006, 10:25 PM
1999allen

1999GT with 5 speed with 39kmiles.

Mine has been ticking when engine was cold. But ,yesterday, on my way to home from work I noticed ticking got very very loud when I floored the gas in Fifth doing only 50mph.
Now It makes ticking whenever rpm is low and I give gas.
It is very similar sound you get when engine is under labor( like trying to take off in second or third gear.
or giving gas in 4th gear doing only 15mph.

Funny thing is no ticking when I rev it up in neutral. It only makes ticking/rattling when in gear.

The source of noise appears to be comming from Shift boot region.

This really pxxxxx me off.

Any Idea will be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-02-2006, 01:04 AM
Jeezla

Hopefuly this just relates to me, cuz it sucked big time, but i had a ticking sound too and knew it wasnt an exhaust leak cuz it sounded a bit more metallic - like something was rattling around in my intake- it progressively got louder and my local ford dealer had a listen and was baffled as to what it could be...Turned out I through a rod cuz i had no oil and my oil light never came on. Luckily i was under warranty and the because the oil light never came on I got it fixed for free. But it sucked not having my car for a week while they put a brand new long block in it.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:26 PM
mcget29
2nd Gear Member

thats crazy because that same thing happened to me only im not under any waranty

Quick Reply: Ticking sound getting louder