4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

373 gears are in - really dont like them

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 02:22 AM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 373 gears are in - really dont like them

I do think having a T56 is an advantage with 3.73's or 4.10's vs a 5 speed, and should be a factor in gear choice. It's too bad they were out of 3.55's. I think you would have liked them. There is something to be said about staying in between the extremes.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:25 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Don't worry... im with you on the gear swap. Everyone thinks i'm crazy... i DO drag racing religiously like every week, however if its also your daily driver IMO its sucks. First gear is non-existant. Speaking from experience though, i've never driven a car with 3.73's just 4.10's and stock. Anyways to have pretty much the full advantage of a higher gear swap drag radials are needed. I raced a friend and proved it when i beat my friend with 4.10s with my stock car. Also... i started pulling him back at anything over 105.

Gears don't impress me, everyone likes them because they supposively wake up the mustang... well yeah no **** along with just about any other car, but you dont see many lsX owners buying gears. Save the money for a power adder... **** for price of gears + install you could buy a NX kit for $200 more.
[sm=nxsmile.gif]
Old 01-17-2006, 05:25 AM
gtmuscle03

I've never heard of anyone that replaced the gears in a mustang complain about it. I must say, this is a first time i've known someone to dislike the upgrade.

I have 4.10s in my '03 GT and fell in love with them the second I romped on it. I got a nice pair of shoes for the car, and now I can launch 1st great. Not to mention, I can still do 130mph. I threw on some Weld 15' prostars with nitto drag radials in the back.

Old 01-17-2006, 09:35 AM
Blue70
2nd Gear Member

I was looking for more out of my 4.10 swap [&o]

I also gained 2 mpg from the swap to 4.10's and half my ride to work is 70mph highway...

I just had my foot in it a lot less while driving than I used to to get the same feeling of acceleration
Old 01-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Dsmfighter
3rd Gear Member

first gear doesnt exist????works fine for me
Old 01-17-2006, 11:29 AM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOHCtimes2

I also have a feeling he hasnt adjusted his speedo to match the new gears....he didn't mention anything about that.
except this:

ORIGINAL: mustangdad

I am among the minority here but other than to rip out and burn rubber the 373 gears suck. I basically now have a 4 speed car with 1st being only to lauch for a race. I can easily leave stop signs in 2nd gear from a dead stop and take the same turns I was taking in 2nd now i have to take them in 3rd. I used to use 3rd from like 20mph to as high as 70 when merging on the expressway. Now I am always shifting and 4th and even 5th are getting used on 50 mph 2 lane roads. So what the hell did I accomplish here? To top it off it squeeks and whoop whoops a little on fast right hand sweeping turns,so tomorrow it has to back. I hope the installer screwed something up and ruined the gear set so I can say just put back my factory gears. The dallas mustang speedcal does work but is not a 20 minute install, you need to get under the car to disconnect the vehicle speed sensor and then take the switch apart then some other wiring which has no diagram just written directions which are fair at best. To be fair to the 373's though if you don't mind shifting alot they are fun and Yes they completely change the cars powerband. I dont know if they will grow on me or what but I doubt it. I guess the engineers who made the car really know a thing or two about it. Imagine that. The correct way to drive a manual transmission vehicle is to shift up through the gears and keep the rpm's reasonably low unless your accelerating. Plus you save engine wear and fuel (if you care,I don't). Even through turns you could come out in 3rd at about 22 mph with barely any engine lugging with the factory gears. Like I said the factory engineers really know a thing or two about the car.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:03 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nathansmith50

ORIGINAL: SOHCtimes2

I also have a feeling he hasnt adjusted his speedo to match the new gears....he didn't mention anything about that.
except this:

I am among the minority here but other than to rip out and burn rubber the 373 gears suck. I basically now have a 4 speed car with 1st being only to lauch for a race. I can easily leave stop signs in 2nd gear from a dead stop and take the same turns I was taking in 2nd now i have to take them in 3rd. I used to use 3rd from like 20mph to as high as 70 when merging on the expressway. Now I am always shifting and 4th and even 5th are getting used on 50 mph 2 lane roads. So what the hell did I accomplish here? To top it off it squeeks and whoop whoops a little on fast right hand sweeping turns,so tomorrow it has to back. I hope the installer screwed something up and ruined the gear set so I can say just put back my factory gears. The dallas mustang speedcal does work but is not a 20 minute install, you need to get under the car to disconnect the vehicle speed sensor and then take the switch apart then some other wiring which has no diagram just written directions which are fair at best. To be fair to the 373's though if you don't mind shifting alot they are fun and Yes they completely change the cars powerband. I dont know if they will grow on me or what but I doubt it. I guess the engineers who made the car really know a thing or two about it. Imagine that. The correct way to drive a manual transmission vehicle is to shift up through the gears and keep the rpm's reasonably low unless your accelerating. Plus you save engine wear and fuel (if you care,I don't). Even through turns you could come out in 3rd at about 22 mph with barely any engine lugging with the factory gears. Like I said the factory engineers really know a thing or two about the car.
LOL ok ok, sorry. I have a problem when reading long stuff with small text. I always completely skip a line while reading and never notice. Sorry, but I honestly completely missed that entire section when I read through it (and yes I did read the whole thing). Sorry for my false statement.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:14 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

I am not spinning the tires (unless I want to) they are stock size and relatively new. I've put 147,211 miles on it (1998 Gt vert).I think by now I know how to drive/launch it. Only the second clutch ever (factory and this one) and it still chirps second on a power shift.The mileage and wear on the ring/pinion set and particularly the bearings were the reason for rebuilding the rear, so I figured while its being done let me have some fun for the last 50,000 miles or so I put on the car. I just didn't realize how low it would make my first gear feel. I'll have to drive it a few more days after I let the installer fix whatever may be making that whoop whoop whoop on sweeping right handers. But my first impression is that while the car accellerates quicker and pulls alot harder than stock-- I still feel like I have a 4 speed tranny now because the car leaves stoplights in 2nd with the 373's just like it did with the stock gear in 1st. I should have waited and got 355's but mustangtuning was out of stock. Oh well not a tragedy.Yes I did get the speedo corrected and the dallas tuner does work very well, but the instructions could have been a lot better.
Am I mistaken or didn't the 98's come with 2.73's, so going from those gears to 3:73's would make a HUGE difference. It's the equivalence of me getting 4:10's.
Old 01-17-2006, 12:43 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

if ya don't like them then swap them back out and sell them.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:29 PM
BadBob99GTConv
2nd Gear Member

came with 2.73's or option for 3.27's Black. If you are hearing rear end noise, that is normal until the gears break in, about 3-400 miles or so and mine stopped. If it doesnt, he didnt line them up properly. Cheap gears sometimes never stop whining. Did you get FRPP?

Quick Reply: 373 gears are in - really dont like them