4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help Needed - A real crazy ignition problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 11:15 AM
jc123

Default Help Needed - A real crazy ignition problem

I'm brand new to this forum and just now found it from a Yahoo search. I've got a crazy intermittent electrical problem that's killing me.

I have a 1997 cobra convert. I got a intermittent condition where in cold (damp seems to be a factor too) weather, the car won't start. It turns over fine, but doesn't seem to get any spark. When it won't start, sometimes I smell gas like it might be flooded. I've even tried spraying in starting fluid, but can't get it to run on that. As a final test, I hooked up a timing light (only thing I could think of) and couldn't get it to flash when turning it over. So, with all that, I'm reasonably sure it's an electrical ignition problem. I replaced the plugs, wires, and fuel filter a couple of weeks ago and it's been running great since. I got up this morning (cold and damp outside - although the car was in the garage) and it wouldn't start again. I did wash my other car and put it in the garage last night. Maybe that's was my dampness contribution? The mustang turned over fine, but never got any spark. Knowing cold and damp seems to be a factor, I got out my forced air blower heater and heated up the garage. 30 min later, I turned it over a few times, and got it to start. I did have to give it a little gas (which I never normally have to do - there goes my electronic theory???). Now it's running fine again. I know I can cut it off and re-start it a thousand times and it will be fine. Another cold/damp day may come along and it could even be left outside, and it would probably start just fine. This is like a 1% of the time problem, but cold and damp seem to be the common denominator.

Are there any common ignition parts failures on a 1997 mustang cobra? I've got around 90k miles on it, so I'm fine with replacing anything that would typically go between now and 125k as a shotgun test sort of thing. Also, is there anything I can remove and look at to see if there is moisture present when the problem exists? Or maybe even a piece of metal (cracked perhaps) that shrinks in the cold causing the continuity to be lost?

Thanks in advance for your help. 20 years ago, I could do much of my own work. Now, I'm befuddled by the miles of wires and hoses with no where to get your hands in the problem area.[sm=helpout.gif]

Jay
Old 01-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Help Needed - A real crazy ignition problem

Get the car running and take a spray bottle filled with water and start spraying at localized places around the engine.If you do this in the dark you might be able to see the sparks jumping around.This will at least give you some kind of an idea where the problem actually is.Since the engine won't even attempt to start I'm going to say look around the coil packs closely,they could have a crack that's allowing moisture inside and shorting them out on the secondary side.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:07 PM
jc123

Thanks. I'll check around the coil packs tonight...when it's dark....that sounds a little crazy, but I'll give it a shot

Jay
Old 01-18-2006, 11:15 AM
dsum14
2nd Gear Member

I also would suggest changing the distributor cap and the darn thing it sits on...what's that called? Ah...Adapter! They sometimes get a hairline crack in them and will prevent the spark from hitting the correct timing. Another thing I had problems with was when I would let the car sit for a while it wouldn't start. I tried everything and couldn't figure it out. The car had about 90K on it and I had just started upgrading performance items. I went to change out the fuel pump and found the Strainer or Sock as a lot of people call it was very dirty. I change it and haven't had a lick of starting problems since. Just an idea! Good Luck!
D