4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Car sits unever after lowering, Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 03:57 AM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Default Car sits unever after lowering, Please help!

Hey guys I just got my '00 GT last week and I put H&R Sport Springs on it today. After lowering it I noticed that the driver side is a bit lower then the passenger side right now. I can put 3 fingers between the front wheel and the fender on driver side, 4 fingers on the passenger side. Same thing in the rear. My question is, has anyone else experienced this? Did it go away after the springs had a chance to settle? My buddy says his probe gt did the same thing when he lowered it but that when the springs settled it evened out.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-19-2006, 05:38 AM
boss281
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: New here, quick question about lowering.

same thing happend to me when i lowered my other car (infiniti i30) turns out that i had installed the springs wrong. im not saying
that this is your case but it might be, i lowered my stang last week and all 4 corners were even since day 1. i would just wait
a few days and then check if it went away.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:43 AM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

I am absolutely certain that I lowered them correctly. I don't even understand what I could have possibly messed up. I did the same thing on both sides, it really doesn't make any sense. I guess if several days go by and they havent settled in evenly, I'll just take it to a shop and have them check it out. Seriously though, I went around and look at the springs and they all seem to be seating properly how they should.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:54 AM
boss281
3rd Gear Member

then just give it a few days see if they settle.......how much did u lower 1.5?
Old 01-19-2006, 11:24 AM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Ya H&R Sport Springs, 1.6 front, 1.5 rear. The driver side (the lower side) looks perfect, its just what I was hoping for. Now the passenger side just needs to come down and meet its close friend the driver side. =P
Old 01-19-2006, 12:40 PM
ericdiver
3rd Gear Member

just cut 1/2 coil and youll be fine, my tahoe has traction bars up front, and I had to turn one all the way and replace one key with a 1 inch lift key to get it right, OH btw I just cut one coil off my car and it rides nice and looks better, i was thinking about getting springs but i have had like 5 cars in the last 3 years and every time I get springs, they are too low too stiff or sit off like yours, and i am not happy with the ride, when u cut your stock springs the ride does get a little stiffer and you can make it the perfect height you want.. I have no problems with my car...
Old 01-20-2006, 12:00 AM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Well I pulled everything back apart today and everything looks good, I cant figure out what it is. My driveway sits higher on the driver side causing more pressure on that side so I'm thinking maybe the driver side springs are just settling in faster then the passenger side. I dunno, seems like it couldnt be that though because if i remember correctly I was noticing the difference almost immediately. Also I wonder if maybe my struts/shocks are just weaker and going out on the driver side, which would cause it to sit a bit lower then on the passenger side. Not sure wtf it could be, when i get more money im gunna do my struts/shocks anyway, so we'll see if that helps. I'm hoping they will just settle themselves down to an even height.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:10 AM
JonBeast

Do you have the springs "clocked" the same?

You should have put the H&R's in the EXACT way the stock ones were......
Old 01-20-2006, 12:12 AM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Yes, that's why I even double checked it today. F*cking blows, I'm so pissed that the car isn't sitting even. I seriously took it all apart and re-did it today...didn't help at all.

edit: If they don't settle in properly within a week, I'm just gunna order a different brand spring and have it professionally installed. THen if its uneven they get to ****ing fix it! I hate it when **** doesn't work right. I've lowered cars at least 10 times before this, all were gay McPherson strut style though, none of them have ever sat uneven.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:25 AM
Blinkstang
1st Gear Member

I've got H&R Sports and it has sat even from day one. They also settled a bit after some time, but never had any problems with it sitting uneven, have been very happy with these springs. Maybe you should take it in and have a shop go over them, just to be 100% sure.

Quick Reply: Car sits unever after lowering, Please help!