4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

96 GT NPI 4.6 to PI 5.4 Swap. (Pic) Starting on 1/21/06 Dark_Horse

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 03:57 AM
Dark_Horse
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 96 GT NPI 4.6 to PI 5.4 Swap. (Pic) Starting on 1/21/06 Dark_Horse

monkeydude3
yeah, I'm thinking about buying a 4.6 engine (I don't feel like customizing everything) and rebuilding it to my liking, and when my current engine poops just do a simple swap. This is amazing.... dark horse I have a few questions for you!

How old are you?
Are you in school? What school if so
Do you do automotive stuff as a hobby or as a career?
Where do you work? (expensive stuff man!)

I ask because I am curious and I am very impressed by what you're doing. Looks like you are doing everything right, and not missing any beats.

I'm 18, going to my community college hear starting my path to a masters degree in automotive. Planning to be a master tech some day doing what you have going.

Peace!

George
i just turned 18 in December,
ya im in high school, last year there kinda sad. i havc had auto shop for about 3 years no in school first year i have it for a 1 period class once a day. then 11th i had if for a 2period class. and now this year i have if for 1st & 2nd period then 6&7th period. so i have it for 4 out of 6 class periods. i do it as a hobby on my car, i use to work at a repair shop after school. untill i get replaced by some european guy that went to collage for 3 years(it was like 1/4/06, i just bout a bran new dirt bike that i am makeing payments on so i need a job quick)

and if you are going to do a new motor i would probably do a 4V 4.6 if i were you. the 5.4 is great(so far its still not running yet) for the wow factor. i have told a few people what i am doing and they all want to see it as soon as its running so i will probably break in the motor just showing people, lol.

and my list on what i have to do untill its done...

1 i have a few plugs on the wiring harness i have to extend
2 Exhaust, i need to weld on about 1- 1.5" on the passenger side right under the flange and cut the H on the the stock H- pipe to widen it and to make it easyer to get in. i will be able to put one side in at a time = Much easyer.
3 get the clutch fork cover on. i dont know why its not going on.
4 Throttle cable bracket, the 4.6 throttle cable barely reaches. if you can get a 94-04 V6 or a 94-95 5.0 cable that will be easier because they are longer and bolt up the same.

look at my Cardomain i have all of this posted on there also
Old 01-23-2006, 06:42 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Man thats really impressive, your doing great for whats on your plate, its takes most 40 year olds months to do what you just did LOL. Not many HS students know how to do this. When I get my butt out to Missouri I am going to start stripping my 95' Down too to get that 03' Mach1 5.0L stroker in it. I am installing a complete QA1 K-Member and suspension kit for more clearance, better handling and of course lighter than stock. I was going to go over to a Flaming River Manual Rack but they only offer it for the 94-95 GT and the QA1 that I have is 96-06 so I dont know how I am going to get it to work.

So what is done to the 5.4L or is it stock, and stock out of what??? Its a 2V and thats about all we know about it

Keep up the good work, I am sure everyone wants to see some 1/4 mile times from this car when your done.

-Neo-
Old 01-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Dark_Horse
3rd Gear Member

NeoTokyo
Man thats really impressive, your doing great for whats on your plate, its takes most 40 year olds months to do what you just did LOL. Not many HS students know how to do this. When I get my butt out to Missouri I am going to start stripping my 95' Down too to get that 03' Mach1 5.0L stroker in it. I am installing a complete QA1 K-Member and suspension kit for more clearance, better handling and of course lighter than stock. I was going to go over to a Flaming River Manual Rack but they only offer it for the 94-95 GT and the QA1 that I have is 96-06 so I dont know how I am going to get it to work.

So what is done to the 5.4L or is it stock, and stock out of what??? Its a 2V and thats about all we know about it

Keep up the good work, I am sure everyone wants to see some 1/4 mile times from this car when your done.

-Neo-
i think it would be easyer to buy a 96-04 with a 4.6 insted of a 94-95 with a 5.0 because the 5.0s use a diff. trany and motor mounts. selling yours and picking up a cheap 96 GT will save a lot of time. and the tubular Kmember and A-Arms also make trying to fab a turbo kit alot easyer. i would try and make one for the Mach 1 motor. i was going to do a turbo on the 5.4 but its not forged so i decided not to.

here is the story on the 5.4

its a 2000, i bought it off ebay. it had 50k miles on it. but it was in a accident
for $450 + shipping 150

Here is what it looked like...
with valve covers but they were broken in some places. i am still using the ones it cam with. i just fiberglassed them up and they look good

the block was cracked and the timing cover. he sent me a good 5.4 block
tore down the cracked 5.4 took the heads, good block, crank pistons and rods down to a machine shop. the resurfaced the heads, mangafluxed the block. cleaned and checked to pistons and rods. and polished the crank(Stock 5.4s are forged in 2000) they were all good

at my school i did a valve job and minorley ported the heads, mostly to cleand up the casting flaws. gasket matched the heads to intake & exhaust

the block was glaze honed.
pistons got new piston rings

so its pritty much stock, but my old 4.6 has 134,344(thats what its at now) miles on it and it runs fine but i wanted a new motor.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:48 PM
Dsmfighter
3rd Gear Member

Wow good work man. Very impressed. i have aprox. 75k on my ticker and thinking about what to put in it at 100k. It'll either be a pi 4.6 with headwork and cams, or the same 5.4 swap like yours. Someone should make this a sticky, or do a full write up on how to do this swap.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:04 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

wow... all I have to say is you are talented. You are gonna make big bucks some day. Make me feel insignificant! LOL

I do not have an official garage so the main hindrance on my tinkering is the lack of a place to do it. I want to buy a worn out engine same as I have in it, and rebuild it to the way I want it to handle a supercharger. I am not good at fabricating parts, but I'm good at swapping stuff.

Like I said... talent man that is freaking amazing. If I lived by you I'd be helpin ya!

Peace

George
Old 01-23-2006, 09:31 PM
Dark_Horse
3rd Gear Member

new pictures loaded
Old 01-25-2006, 02:28 AM
Dark_Horse
3rd Gear Member

tomorrow is start up day!!! after school im starting it. all i need is to finish the exhaust!!!
Old 01-25-2006, 10:42 AM
Dsmfighter
3rd Gear Member

Hey dark horse i just had a thought. I saw how you were running your intake setup, and i had an idea. I saw how your t/b was literally right in front of the hood scoop, could you possibly make a fiberglass mold that would allow you to collect air directly to your t/b????? You're going to be pulling alot warmer air in to your engine with its current setup, why not make full use of your hood and make it a ram air?
Old 01-25-2006, 11:24 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

damn, are people who try and line up with you going to be in for a nice surprise.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:57 PM
M1ke
4th Gear Member

so how'd it go? any more pics or a vid?

Quick Reply: 96 GT NPI 4.6 to PI 5.4 Swap. (Pic) Starting on 1/21/06 Dark_Horse