4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4:10 gears

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 04:35 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 4:10 gears

ORIGINAL: Blue70

I agree, your friend was not racing, needs tires, or can't drive [&:]

Gears are there all the time, Nitrous is not..
You spend more for Nitrous, then need to fll it all the time
I don't want to have to pay weekly for my upgrades to work.
That's why I went with 4.10's and a Kenne Bell

Gears are like worth .2 in the quarter mile... everyone talks like they are good for a second or some BS.

Here ya go... first race, he had a lot of spin. Second I let him hit it first you can kinda hear me say "go". He got a pretty damn good launch minimal spin. You can tell his shifting isnt bad... maybe not as good as it could be but not bad.

I almost look at it like he had an extra person so all of his other mods are like a wash, kinda just like stock gears vs. 4.10's. As you can tell it made a huge difference.

www.only-here.net/mebrett.WMV

P.S. I thought the gears were going to kill me before we raced, it does feel like it pulls a little harder than stock, but real world... you can see how much of a difference it made.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:41 PM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

Again, there is something "wrong" if two overall stock GTs race, and the one with 4.10s loses.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:45 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pj1010

Again, there is something "wrong" if two overall stock GTs race, and the one with 4.10s loses.

Once again, unless all your driving is done on drag radials....... its not really going to help much.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:06 PM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

Once again, unless all your driving is done on drag radials....... its not really going to help much.
Well I guess 90% of the people on this board wasted their money.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:13 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

this may not be waht you mean,, but youre saying that assuming both drivers had Equally (as in EXACT same launches in terms of grip) then it would be too close too tell between the car with the 4.10's and the car w/o?

4.10's arent just for getting off the line (or not getting off the line wth crappy tires)

if you take out a car with the stock rear end and hammered it from about 2500 in 2nd 3rd or 4th, and then done the exact same thing in a car with 4.10's, you would definately be able to tell a difference in terms of pull and the speed at which you increase
Old 01-20-2006, 05:17 PM
pj1010
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

this may not be waht you mean,, but youre saying that assuming both drivers had Equally (as in EXACT same launches in terms of grip) then it would be too close too tell between the car with the 4.10's and the car w/o?

4.10's arent just for getting off the line (or not getting off the line wth crappy tires)

if you take out a car with the stock rear end and hammered it from about 2500 in 2nd 3rd or 4th, and then done the exact same thing in a car with 4.10's, you would definately be able to tell a difference in terms of pull and the speed at which you increase
He does all of his racing from 0-30 apparently.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Blue70
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

I agree with you, it's not that much of a difference.
When I first installed my 4.10's I posted saying how disappointed I was. I was hoping for a lot more [&o]

But a car with 4.10's should be quicker than a car with stock gears, it's just physics, if it does not than there was a problem somewhere, be it traction, driver, whatever.

Before I had the Kenne Bell I had no problems with traction with my 4.10's and my cheap @ss Sumitomo 315's
If I was rolling at all the little 4.6 would not spin the tires, out of the hole you didn't have to be that easy on it either.
(Now it's a whole ifferent story )

I will agree with you that 4.10’s are not for everyone, and what people chose to live with in a daily driver varies as much as the drivers themselves.

Some call 500ci solid cam aluminum small blocks streetable, others can’t for the life of them figure out why someone would want to be able to feel an automatic shift

I respect your opinion as much as anyone else’s, I’m sure no one here is out to get the next guy to spend money on something that they feel don’t work, but that’s all anyone can post on this subject is their opinion, asking what people think of 4.10’s is not a right or wrong, true or false answer, it’s very subjective, so I don’t get why some people get so worked up (not saying you ) Everyone has their own opinion, even if the other person’s opinion may differ from mine, I do try to respect it, and keep an open mind

It is eventually up to the end user to decide what he wants to buy, and if he is happy with the choice he made.
(you do have to admit that most that try 4.10's seem to enjoy them)

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 01-20-2006, 05:33 PM
72MachOne99GT
2010 Blue Ball Award Recipient

I respect your opinion as much as anyone else’s,
i hate you and your car now

i can see where you are coming from, and yes, like you said, everyone is going to have an opinion

but i dont see why anyone would say that 4.10's are a bad investment as far as performance
look at other mods you can do

full exhaust probalby wont give you the feel that the gears will and it can be up to as much as 3X the price of gears if you wanted it to be

other simple bolt ons wont give you the power by themselves

sure, nitrous is a relatively cheap investment, but its something that most people arent ever goign to do

and how in the F couldnt you sping your tires with 4.10's? i could break 2nd loose with the continentals i had before i got my DR's (not to mention get a nice chirp going into 3rd)

ps, i am still coming to steal your car
Old 01-20-2006, 05:34 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

I will agree with you on that... haha the only reason I get a little worked up over it... is cause i state my opinion and everyone jumps on my ***.

I do have to say with DR's they will make a difference, without them i really dont believe they make much if at all, regardless of the way they feel. I just dont see many GT owners rolling around on DRs on there daily driver therefore i dont feel it is worth it.

It's not like i'm totally against them, i'm actually slightly considering 3.73's just cuase I have an extra set of wheels... debating wether to put M/T dr's on and use them for the track or some 315 nitto 555r's and use them all summer. I don't want 4.10s cause its getting procharged in a couple months and I just dont like how short the gears are.

Old 01-20-2006, 05:39 PM
Blue70
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 72MachOne99GT

I respect your opinion as much as anyone else’s,
i hate you and your car now

i can see where you are coming from, and yes, like you said, everyone is going to have an opinion

but i dont see why anyone would say that 4.10's are a bad investment as far as performance
look at other mods you can do

full exhaust probalby wont give you the feel that the gears will and it can be up to as much as 3X the price of gears if you wanted it to be

other simple bolt ons wont give you the power by themselves

sure, nitrous is a relatively cheap investment, but its something that most people arent ever goign to do

and how in the F couldnt you sping your tires with 4.10's? i could break 2nd loose with the continentals i had before i got my DR's (not to mention get a nice chirp going into 3rd)

ps, i am still coming to steal your car

LOL

Do you have 315's? I'm sure it would have been different with stock sized tires

I agree, and stated that a car with gears had to be quicker, physics can prove that.
What can't be proven is how many times someone wants to shift, too much gear, etc, (as he said) that is what is subjective

My car stays put [sm=icon_beat.gif]

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Quick Reply: 4:10 gears