4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

My First Mod???

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 03:55 AM
Marc_03GT
1st Gear Member

Default My First Mod???

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif"><FONT size=2>Hello...just joined the forum about 1 min a go. I got my first mustang last week and want to start modding it. Its a 2003 GT Coupe all stock. This is my daily driver but I would like some more power. I have no idea where to start though. I was thinking of putting the Mach 1 shaker scoop on it and a 70mm plenum and throtle body. Please don't laugh to hard...I have almost NO experience under the hood of a car. The most I've done is help my friend put a new motor in his 79 Cammaro. Any tips on where to start and maybe the first 4 or 5 mods would be good. I'd hate to start changing things and wish that I done something else first.</FONT></FONT></P>
Old 01-26-2004, 04:04 AM
Silver4.6
3rd Gear Member

Default My First Mod???

I've got a 03 gt, Ihave had for a few months, here are a couple cheap easy mods you can have done that work out nice.... underdrive pulleys, timing adjuster, short throw shifter, rear end gears, exhaust is always a nice thing to do. if your looking for a cheap easy gain, you can always go with nitrous, its pretty cheap (most kits will cost you anywhere from 500-700) and you can go anywhere from 20ish hp shots, to about 125hp shots. cant beat that! feel free to ask questions thats what we are here for!
Old 01-26-2004, 04:13 AM
Marc_03GT
1st Gear Member

Default My First Mod???

I don't suppose you could be a bit more specific. As in what brand/model parts. As for the pulleys I heard that a lot of them dim the lights and such at idle. Is there a brand that doesn't do this and still gives a nice boost in power?
Old 01-26-2004, 04:15 AM
Marc_03GT
1st Gear Member

Default My First Mod???

Oh ya...and Nitrous...should I go wet or dry or what? Does it make a big differance? I've read everything I could find on NOS's webpage about nitrous and how is works (and there is acctually a lot of stuff one the site) but I still have no clue as to which is the better application for the 03 GT.
Old 01-26-2004, 04:26 AM
Silver4.6
3rd Gear Member

Default My First Mod???

I have steeda underdrive pulleys, if you let your car idle for like 10 mins the lights dim a little, but step on the gas for half a sec and the light right back up, dont worry the pulleys wont damage your car in any way! I also have a steeda timing adjuster, that would be nice to put on with your pulleys, it makes adjusting the timing a breeze, if you set it at about 14 degrees on our car (all you have to do is turn a dial) we get some nice gains in HP. you can get each of those for about 150 a piece. My exhaust set up is a MAC offroad H pipe (offroad= no cats), and 2 chamber flowmasters, its loud, and it sounds sweet, butt will not pass emissions. if you look under the power adder forums we have here you can find out some good info on nirtous. I'm going with a wet set up, its normally the best set up to go with...do a little research on this site, and maybe through yahoo.</P>
Old 01-26-2004, 04:29 AM
Marc_03GT
1st Gear Member

Default My First Mod???

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:11 AM
N2OJunkie
I ♥ Acer

Default My First Mod???

These are my recommendations (and my current mods): The ones in read are a must, I will start with those first.</P>

<FONT color=red>BBK 70 MM THROTTLE BODY</FONT>--&gt;Watch the installation how-to video! <BR clear=all><FONT color=red>BBK Cold Air Intake-Fenderwell</FONT>--&gt;Watch the installation how-to video!<BR clear=all>Ford Motorsports Shortie <FONT color=red>Headers</FONT></P>

<FONT color=red><FONT color=#000000>Magnaflow </FONT><FONT color=red>Off Road X pipe</FONT><BR clear=all><FONT color=red>Flowmasters </FONT><FONT color=red>40 series - 2 chambers</FONT><BR clear=all><FONT color=#000000>Nitrousworks Wet kit-100 Hp shot</FONT></FONT><FONT color=#000000> </FONT><BR clear=all><BR clear=all>3.73 Ford Motorsports <FONT color=red>rear end gears</FONT><BR clear=all><FONT color=red>Steeda tri-ax shifter</FONT><BR clear=all>King Cobra Ford Motorsports HD Clutch<BR clear=all>Steeda Strut tower braces</P>

Steeda Timing adjuster<BR clear=all><FONT color=red>Eibach Prokit- 1.5 " -2 "
lowering springs</FONT>
<BR clear=all>18" x 9.5 280 Cobra-R wheels<BR clear=all>275-35-9.5 Toyo Tires -all corners <BR clear=all></P><edited><editID>NO2JUNKIE</editID><editDate>38012.9249537037</editDate></edited>
Old 01-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default My First Mod???

If you plan on working the intake, PLEASE replace your stock manifolds with anything on the market. It'll be the largest waste of money you've ever spent in your life if you don't do so. </P>

If you want **X**** HP for your money, don't go with Flowmaster/MAC or any other baffled muffler system. Dynomax, SLP &amp; Magnaflow are the best systems to go with. For whatever reason everyone believes Magnaflow is expensive but the cat-back can be had for $368 bucks.</P>

If you can spring for the extra few bucks it costs for a wet Nitrous setup, that is what you should do. It helps assure that your motor is getting the fuel it needs along with the shot of nitrous to avoid detonation. But, if you properly tune your car, install an aftermarket fuel pressure guage and use less than a 125 shot you can safely use a dry shot. </P>

I'd go with 4.10 gears over 3.73's any day...</P>
Old 01-26-2004, 12:36 PM
hotrodman
I ♥ Acer

Default My First Mod???

go with 4.10s if you want lots of wheel spin,and impress the ladys,,3.73s if you want to enjoy life.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:45 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default My First Mod???

Hotrodman: you experienced problems with your 4.10's because you car is heavily modified...

Quick Reply: My First Mod???