4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

shocks and struts

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 02:59 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Default shocks and struts

I'm looking for new shocks/struts, and I'm between the tokico illumina's and the KYB agx. Which shocks/struts do you guys recommend? I'm also open to other suggestions if I can get all 4 shocks and struts for under $400.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:05 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

Default RE: shocks and struts

If I had had the money, I woulda gone for the tokico's myself. I was in a rush and had no cash, so I opted for the cheapo Foxbody shocks and struts. I went with the Monroe Sensitracks... I paid $191.XX for all four corners. They ride wonderfully, but I can only imagine that the illuminas or even the KYB adjustables would be even better.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:39 PM
ericdiver
3rd Gear Member

I was thinking about monroe fox for my mustang, they are mono tube and proballly the best all around shock, the kyb gr2 are old school twin tube struts, and I am gald to hear good things about the monroe...
Old 01-23-2006, 04:10 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

so the kyb gr2's are junk, are the agx any good? I know absolutely nothing about shocks/struts, so any informative links would also be great.
Old 01-23-2006, 04:13 PM
redstanger
3rd Gear Member

do what im going to do. just go buy MACH1 shocks and struts. their made for a lowered car and better than the stockers for drag racing and overall performance. by the way at ur ford dealer there only about 170 for all 4
Old 01-23-2006, 04:19 PM
GTnAZ
2nd Gear Member

the AGX are very good struts!
I have them on my 89 civic that is lowered 2 1/2" and it made a world of difference!
The GR2 is for a stock car(not lowered), where as the AGX are for modifyed car(lowered).
Tokico's are really good also, but a little on the price-e side!
Also i really good brand to check is Bilstein.. very high quailty stuff and i would reccommend these over everything!

The best setup you can do IMO is H&R springs and Bilstein struts/shocks!
GL and let us know what you get and how you like them!
Old 01-23-2006, 04:20 PM
ericdiver
3rd Gear Member

well i would like to do the fox struts because over real hard bumps they hit the towers, and since the fox are shorter it should work better, i hope, or am i still going to bottom out??
Old 01-23-2006, 04:26 PM
dobry
2nd Gear Member

I have KYB GR-2 struts and gas-a-shock shocks recently installed. I do not know what "better" shocks and struts feel like , but the ones I have are superior to the stock ones. they are much tighter and they work great with my pro-kit. I got my KYBs for $200 shipped and that was the steal. definitely worth the money. if you are on a budget I think KYB are the most quality for the least money you can pay.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:35 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dobry

I have KYB GR-2 struts and gas-a-shock shocks recently installed. I do not know what "better" shocks and struts feel like , but the ones I have are superior to the stock ones. they are much tighter and they work great with my pro-kit. I got my KYBs for $200 shipped and that was the steal. definitely worth the money. if you are on a budget I think KYB are the most quality for the least money you can pay.

That's an awesome price... I wish I would have had access to a deal like that when i got mew shocks/struts.

Redass: I made a tutorial for installation of shocks/struts/springs/upper and lower CA's, but Amanda has not yet posted it. If you want, I can send it to you. Just PM me with your email address.
Old 01-23-2006, 05:37 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

ORIGINAL: GTnAZ

the AGX are very good struts!
I have them on my 89 civic that is lowered 2 1/2" and it made a world of difference!
The GR2 is for a stock car(not lowered), where as the AGX are for modifyed car(lowered).
Tokico's are really good also, but a little on the price-e side!
Also i really good brand to check is Bilstein.. very high quailty stuff and i would reccommend these over everything!

The best setup you can do IMO is H&R springs and Bilstein struts/shocks!
GL and let us know what you get and how you like them!
I cannot afford the bilsteins, those things are expensive as hell from what I've seen.

Quick Reply: shocks and struts