4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Royal Purple

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 04:10 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Royal Purple

**you can't go regular again??
Old 01-24-2006, 04:16 PM
boss281
3rd Gear Member

i switched to synthetic oil in my I30 (infiniti) w/ over 110k miles and it runs better than ever, no leaks no burnt oil just better
performance.
Old 01-24-2006, 04:22 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

hmm... cool.... I can get mobil 1 oil from work for a good discount so bam bam skiddam next oil change I'm goin synthetic!!

She does burn a bit of regular oil now.... so I dunno if that will get better/worse with synthetic???

ahh too many variations on oil! yeesh

George
Old 01-24-2006, 05:07 PM
GTnAZ
2nd Gear Member

That was my next question.. isnt RP synthetic?
If so, i thought you were only supposed to use synthetic in certin cars... i mean i use to run synthetic in my Jetta b/c it was turboed... i thought on a normal NA car a blended oil is better.?
Old 01-24-2006, 07:54 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

The only restriction in using synthetic oil in any vehicle is "not to make the change over until around 3,000 to 5,000 miles on a completely new auto." I suppose that allows the engine to kind of "seat" itself before making the change. After that point you will essentially experience 0% wear in the engine. Mobil 1 took a test engine and ran it the equivalent of 200,000 miles and then tore it down. All parts remained within the tolerances of what the auto industry would consider a "new" part! Not too bad, huh? All Vette's have come from the factory with Mobil 1 standard for probably 10 years. I do not know how they handle the break in period in that instance but I am sure it is well taken care of. You actually experience higher rpm's, top end (HP) and better fuel mileage with a synthetic as well. Not to mention much longer drain intervals. If you drive the average 12,000 miles a year and change your oil every 3,000 miles, that would be 4 oil changes per year. With a synthetic, driving 4,000 to 5,000 miles between changes is a piece of cake. In this case, you essentially eliminate one oil change a year to help offset any higher prices paid for the synthetic versus the standard oil. Be sure to use a premium, high capacity filter to insure long term filtering between changes.

One other thing, all modern day synthetics have seal conditioners that insure you do not leak the much more penetrating synthetic oil out of older seals in higher mileage engines. I believe at least one oil manufacturer now makes a "high mileage" synthetic oil for older vehicles. Not to be confused with the higher mileage oils that offer extended drain intervals. This is for vehicles with 75,000+ miles on them. Valvoline makes one and perhaps Mobil may now as well. I know Mobil has the high drain interval oil for sure. Synthetics are great for winter storage as well as they do not break down when sitting for long periods of time. SYNTHETICS CREATE "0" SLUDGE AND "0" CARBONING!

Bottom line is you can't go wrong if you run synthetic fluids in your car.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:18 AM
DrBob
2nd Gear Member

As far as motor oil, I have always used Pennzoil Synthetic. My 1994 Super Coupe T-Bird had over 130K when I sold it, and My Explorer currently has over 150k miles on it. Does not burn one drop, that I can tell. I did put the Royal Purple in my transmission when I bought the car last year (5 spd) To be honest, I could not tell any difference from the factory fluid. I am not saying it is not a better fluid for protection of the gears and synchros, but it did not make my transmission feel any better.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:45 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

hmmm... I have a 97 GT with 108000 miles on it. Runs great. burns a little bit of oil right now, not much more than an average engine of this age. I run mobil regular 5w30. Would it burn more oil if I went to mobil 1 synthetic? Or would it burn the same but run a bit better? Thanks!!

(trying to hold off so I can buy a motor and mod the crap of it and do a swap)

George
Old 01-25-2006, 12:23 PM
GTnAZ
2nd Gear Member

Yeah when i ran...lol...Iran.. sorry...
When i ran synthetic it was super nice to not have to change my oil for 5K miles.. this changing every 3K is a biotch!
So to conclude this thread, i think i will change over to a synthetic oil... i dont know if i will use royal purple or mobil 1.. whatever is cheaper i guess... both do the same so to save a buck is to save a buck.
Thanks guys for all the help!
[sm=wootwoot.gif]
Old 01-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Dsmfighter
3rd Gear Member

Heres a question- I just bought The Royal Purple Automatic tranny fluid stuff. Is anyone running that? or recommend me not to run it? I know that my t-45 takes atf, so is this stuff ok to run? it is the dextron III.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:50 PM
GTnAZ
2nd Gear Member

it should be ok as my 5sp uses ATF dextron III also and people have changed over to RP ATF.

Quick Reply: Royal Purple