4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

SLP LT HEADERS???? good or no?

Old 01-25-2006, 12:46 AM
JoeyD
3rd Gear Member

Default SLP LT HEADERS???? good or no?

Yes its time for me to purchase LTs and Midpipe and catback.

Well SLP LT's are about $800.00
MAC's are about $350.00
and Hookers are about $600.00 I believe...

So are SLP's worth it?
anyone have these? or know of any Dyno test that have proven SLPs flow better?

Please let me know,
lets discuss
Old 01-25-2006, 01:30 AM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: SLP LT HEADERS???? good or no?

SLP's are really expensive, I've been looking at BBK ceramic long-tubes for about 500 I think. Then with a shorty o/r h-pipe it would be like 650. It would be much cheaper than a full slp exhaust. When I do exhaust i'm going to do BBK's and slp lm2's.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:38 AM
stangc83
3rd Gear Member

I have read that headers on a GT actually give you too much flow and not enough backpressure. So at the low to mid range where all GTs actually have no power you lose up to 7 HP. I have a Bassani X pipe and magnaflow magnapacks and i love the setup. There is not one person that i drive by that doesn't break their neck wondering why my car sounds so good.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12615/0332E85F0CBE413A8F17DFEA0BB51421.jpg[/IMG]
Old 01-25-2006, 02:51 AM
JoeyD
3rd Gear Member

^Wow really? I had never heard that...they actually MAKE LESS POWER ON A GT??? =/

So your saying stick with stock manifolds or shorty's or what? =/

I am really surprised to hear this.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:10 AM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

EXHAUST SYSTEMS
Sorry but we've seen little or no gain on a 4.6 GT.We do know that the Bassani cat back system with X-pipe and no pre-cats makes 15HP. That's as good as it gets. There will be more upcoming tests. The results will appear in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords Magazine. At 14psi, with stock exhaust and cats, we made 507HP. The Bassani is the best we've tested. Cats? I've never seen "high flow" cat(s) ever make any power over a stock cat. A cat will typically burn up 10HP on a 300HP engine. Dual cats lower it to 5HP. Run 600HP through duals (300HP per cat) and you're back to a 10HPdrop.

HEADERS
Long tubes make very little, if any, power or actually lose power according to our customer reports. They eliminate the pre-catalytic converters. That isn't 50 state legal. And don't confuse any power gains from removing the pre-cats with header gains. Pre-cat and cat removal will net around 10HP. In our opinion, headers for the 4.6 GT aren't worth the small peak power gains and expense. Always keep in mind that any power gain from exhaust (headers, cat back, and cats) is incrementally proportional to engine air flow/HP and reduced back pressure. That's why some products make "0" Hp on stock or +100HP engines but more on a +200HP engine. Every component has it's limits. Example: If the headers make 20HP at 700HP but nothing a 400, 500, and 10HP at 600HP why would you buy headers for an engine that will never make 600 or 700HP?
This is taken from a 13 page tech file from the Kenne Bell website, all about the 99-04 GT. I dont think that any of this is BS, it all makes perfect sense, and KB gains nothing by talking about exhaust systems...since they don't sell any.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:13 PM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

From what I have read, headers actually have little to do with flow. The longer the tube, the more negative pressure you build up during a cycle, and you can actually build up a vacuum that will more or less suck the gasses through, creating faster intake and exhaust flow, which is what it is all about.

Im off to a lab right now, so if anyone wants to look for the article i think it was MM&FF, but Im not sure. Ill try to find it when I get back.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:18 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SOHCtimes2

EXHAUST SYSTEMS
Sorry but we've seen little or no gain on a 4.6 GT.We do know that the Bassani cat back system with X-pipe and no pre-cats makes 15HP. That's as good as it gets. There will be more upcoming tests. The results will appear in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords Magazine. At 14psi, with stock exhaust and cats, we made 507HP. The Bassani is the best we've tested. Cats? I've never seen "high flow" cat(s) ever make any power over a stock cat. A cat will typically burn up 10HP on a 300HP engine. Dual cats lower it to 5HP. Run 600HP through duals (300HP per cat) and you're back to a 10HPdrop.

HEADERS
Long tubes make very little, if any, power or actually lose power according to our customer reports. They eliminate the pre-catalytic converters. That isn't 50 state legal. And don't confuse any power gains from removing the pre-cats with header gains. Pre-cat and cat removal will net around 10HP. In our opinion, headers for the 4.6 GT aren't worth the small peak power gains and expense. Always keep in mind that any power gain from exhaust (headers, cat back, and cats) is incrementally proportional to engine air flow/HP and reduced back pressure. That's why some products make "0" Hp on stock or +100HP engines but more on a +200HP engine. Every component has it's limits. Example: If the headers make 20HP at 700HP but nothing a 400, 500, and 10HP at 600HP why would you buy headers for an engine that will never make 600 or 700HP?
This is taken from a 13 page tech file from the Kenne Bell website, all about the 99-04 GT. I dont think that any of this is BS, it all makes perfect sense, and KB gains nothing by talking about exhaust systems...since they don't sell any.
This is complete and total bull****. Exactly where then do people pick up the 35+ RWHP when going from a stock GT to a full boltons one?? The CAI/intake (worth virutally nothing) ?? Rofl.

LT headers are the single biggest power maker of the boltons on a 4.6 there is, no question. LTs are a guarenteed 10-15 RWHP increase, espcially with all of the other supporting mods. I wasn't making any more noticable power until the LTs/xpipe went on. I couldn't even tell the differnce between the car stock and with the upper intake stuff.

From what I have read, headers actually have little to do with flow. The longer the tube, the more negative pressure you build up during a cycle, and you can actually build up a vacuum that will more or less suck the gasses through, creating faster intake and exhaust flow, which is what it is all about.

This is called "scavaging" (sp?). It is also the same principle of a X/H pipe. The gasses passing thru one pipe cause a vaccum in the other.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:26 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

I agree with 4.6, long tubes DEFINATLY makes a difference. I've seen dyno graph's and i it was something like 3 hp lower under 3200 rpms or something. However abover 4000 it picked up around 12 hp's.

Now lets think, when you race its in the high rpms.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:26 PM
JoeyD
3rd Gear Member

^good to know.
then I will continue on with my headers...
I had told my friends in my car club etc... this (none have 4.6 GT's tho) and they thought it was odd too, but didn't argue with it.
So I just basically crossed out headers off my mod list.

but now I will go for some LT's

Thanks
Old 01-31-2006, 06:29 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JoeyD

^good to know.
then I will continue on with my headers...
I had told my friends in my car club etc... this (none have 4.6 GT's tho) and they thought it was odd too, but didn't argue with it.
So I just basically crossed out headers off my mod list.

but now I will go for some LT's

Thanks
Remeber you need a new midpipe to go along with the LTs. And the X isn't too bad btw, plenty deep if you have chambered mufflers, and it makes more power too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SLP LT HEADERS???? good or no?