4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

supporting mods for 2.2 kenne bell

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 03:02 AM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

Default supporting mods for 2.2 kenne bell

so i was reading about what else you need to run the 2.2 kenne bell, and it says cobra r hood, cobra fuel tank w/dual pump, bigger fuel lines huge injectors, and electric water pump. electric water pump? why does it list that as a requirement? is it anything to do with the stock water pump having too much load on it, or what? just curious. also i read they got 30 more rwhp out of a gt vs the 03 cobra with the same boost and similar mods. thats interesting.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:16 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: supporting mods for 2.2 kenne bell

Well, here's my educated guess only... don't hold me to my word on this one.

As for REQUIRED mods to make the engine run, you need air, fuel, and a spark. Well, the blower's bringing the air, so you'll need a much stronger fuel system to support it... Maybe a conversion to a return-style fuel system (ECU/tune changes for this too, obviously), with a large in tank, or in line pump able to put up the pressure and flow you'll need. There is a company coming out with a kit for returnless systems that will allow it to support 800 HP supercharged SO THEY SAY, it was in a recent 5.0&SF. Last I checked it wasn't out yet, but it should be due out soon. Larger injectors come in here, too. Your ignition system could stand to have an upgrade, they don't mention it being required but I can't see it hurting... you could probably squeak by with the stock one... look into different plugs at the least though.

That should get the engine running, you will need to think further down the driveline too. If you're ever gonna have some sticky tires on there, you should consider 31 spline or higher axles, and you should consider a new transmission, too... it is very likely to be hurting after a few good launches. A roll-cage or sub-frame connectors will be nice to stiffen up the frame, you don't want to twist it with the torque you'll have, too.

Some of this may be overkill/not necessary, but it all should help to prevent some larger problems from forming later. Again, this is just my guess and what I can think of off the top of my head. You can always ask KB, they do seem to be quite helpful and would probably not mind answering your questions as to everything you need.

The only reason I can think of an electric water pump would be to remove some of the stress from the accessory belt... it'll be powering that monster blower... so under high boost they have probably extensively tested and shredded quite a few belts... Just a guess again. Your water pump will be cooling the intercooler for the KB, too as far as I know... so maybe they suggest a change to a more robust pump is all. No clue really, just a guess.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:53 AM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

luckily for me i already have a return fuel system, my motor is a 2001 4.6 though. what i would do is get the kit for the 96-98s because my engine bay is setup like a 96 even though the motor is a 01. i dont like the idea of an electric water pump, i mean i hear they dont last long and id hate to have to change it out every 5,000 miles. as for the intercooler, im almost 100% sure it runs off of a separate pump, reservoir and core. i dont know which intercooler they use for kenne bell but i think its basically the same design as the saleen.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:23 PM
Miliock
3rd Gear Member

contact kenne bell directly....I've heard they have great tech staff
Old 01-26-2006, 12:23 PM
01yellowgt
3rd Gear Member

also i read they got 30 more rwhp out of a gt vs the 03 cobra with the same boost and similar mods. thats interesting.
also you have to think of it this way, the cobra didnt even have the heads pulled. Were are the gt probly had the heads ported and polished and/or maybe a different cam, along with the forged internals.

With the electric water pump there is just no warning whey they go out, besides the engine temp would go up. Do a search there was a guy that worked it out on how long they should last a few months back.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:38 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

i know the gt probably had some other differences, i forget if they mentioned anything about headwork. but still had some really good numbers for a 2v vs a 4v. wasnt it like 5 thousand miles or so for the electric water pump? ill go with the 1.7 kit if i have to swap out the water pump that often.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:31 PM
01yellowgt
3rd Gear Member

Shows it being 3000+ hours for the electric pump life spanned, all the other meziere electrice water pumps are 2500+ hours. So if your average driving speed is 10mph it would last about 30k or more miles. Avererage would have to include your idle time, and all your driving.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/revie.../cat/23/page/1

Heres where they was talking about it
https://mustangforums.com/m_814720/m.../tm.htm#826877
Old 01-26-2006, 01:35 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

thanks man. ill have to talk to kenne bell about alternatives to that. i dont put a lot of miles on my car though, maybe 5k a year so worse case scenario would be a new one every year or other year including idle and such.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:49 PM
01yellowgt
3rd Gear Member

np, just trying to help you find the info you need.

water pump watch dog, which monitors electric water pumps. Probly sold other places, and theres probly more other monitoring devices that are options.

Sounds good. Kenne Bell sound be able to point you in the right direction, on all that.

i wish i would only put 5k miles a year on mine, i have got like 12k in 9 months.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake
Your water pump will be cooling the intercooler for the KB, too as far as I know...
The intercooler ought to be a different system with it's own electric waterpump.

I'm a bit curious why they recommend the electric water pump myself. Maybe it's just to decrease belt drag.

Quick Reply: supporting mods for 2.2 kenne bell