4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Do you think $1200 is too much??

Old 01-27-2006, 12:49 PM
BBKBadBoy
2nd Gear Member

Default Do you think $1200 is too much??

Some guy around here is selling an Authenic Saleen kit for $1200, it came off a 2000 Mustang gt that was flooded, the kit has some scratches, and some rust on the grill of the kit because its been underwater for so long and will need to be repainted, do you think it is worth that much??? the Saleen kit includes, trunk with spoiler, front bumper, rear bumper, and side skirts, if you dont think it is worth that much, whats the most you would give him for it???
Old 01-27-2006, 01:00 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Do you think $1200 is too much??

I personally wouldn't spend that much on USED parts.

Have you checked into all those parts if they were new?
Old 01-27-2006, 01:07 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

If he throws in the hood, go for it.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:15 PM
BBKBadBoy
2nd Gear Member

Haven't checked on them new but i found a couple of people selling authenic Saleen kits online for $650-800 but i rather not deal with shipping, and about the hood, it has the stock 2000 gt hood on it, the only thing that is shady is that, he wanted 1600 for everything at first that was fenders, hood, trunk wit s281 spoiler, front bumper, rear bumper, side skirts, and authenic Saleen wheels and tires but he selling the wheels for $600 and now he wants 1200 for the kit, he gets his prices from this guy who he thinks knows everything about Mustangs and he ended up selling that guy a flooded 03 cobra for 2k
Old 01-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

authenic saleen body kit i assume means polyurethane? make sure its not fiberglass...cuz if it is thatd be a rip. you can still probably find a better deal on a polyurethane one tho id say...unless his kit exactly mathces the color of your car and you dont need to spend money on painting.

example...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-04...33256302QQrdZ1
Old 01-27-2006, 01:29 PM
00stang37
2nd Gear Member

i spent about $1300 for my F/R bumbers and side skirts. they came with the grills from mustangsunlimited.com. they're pricet but mine were brand new. not sure how much i would spend on used parts.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:30 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

Too much, since it was already painted and now has scratches and rust it will probably cost more to have it repainted properly since their will be more prep work involved. You can get new urethane kits for as little as 850, plus about $150 S/H, and no one can tell the difference. Why pay extra to have "authentic" Saleen body parts when your Mustang still won't be an authentic Saleen? Most I would pay for that used set of parts is about 800.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:59 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackbetty01

Too much, since it was already painted and now has scratches and rust it will probably cost more to have it repainted properly since their will be more prep work involved. You can get new urethane kits for as little as 850, plus about $150 S/H, and no one can tell the difference. Why pay extra to have "authentic" Saleen body parts when your Mustang still won't be an authentic Saleen? Most I would pay for that used set of parts is about 800.
Urathane doesn't rust. A new authentic saleen kit comes in really s***ty condition compared to other companies like cervinis or roush. The saleen kit always needs a ton of prep-work.

As far as being an authentic Saleen goes. I think if you upgrade everything that they do and your kit/badges/accents are the real deal with just as much attention to detail and quality as a "real" saleen, it's the same thing. It just means you didn't spend a fortune for the labor and your car isn't gonna be featured in any Saleen books. There's a guy on the internet (Dejaysaleen) with a nice looking V6 with all saleen parts that got Steve Saleen himself to inspect, approve, and hand-sign his saleen conversion car... IMO, Can't get much more "authentic" than that and this guy has the only 99-04 V6 with that saleen status that I know about. I guess it gives people a warm-fuzzy to know that Steve approves of their car. Personally, I'd only ever buy a real one to support the program because I could certainly piece together the car with my own added upgrades for cheaper.

Alot of those 850 kits don't have the words "SALEEN" printed on the back bumper... for some folks, that imprint enough is worth the extra cash even if the 850 kit is potentially better quality.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:15 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

The kit I was referring to is sold through raceonusa.com, it's a polyurethane body kit that they guarantee will bolt right on like factory replacements. The local bodyshop warned me that most require some fabrication to fit so make sure before you buy. You're right, I didn't notice till you mentioned but it doesn't have the Saleen on the back bumper, me personally I don't care I still want it. And I don't care if Steve Saleen approves of my car, I just like the way the kit looks, and since I plan on getting a KB first, calling it a Saleen will be an insult IMO. Nice cars, but a little too much for a body kit and a weak S/C. I would take an 03/04 Cobra over a true 99-04 S281 Saleen anyday.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Fallstar01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackbetty01

The kit I was referring to is sold through raceonusa.com, it's a polyurethane body kit that they guarantee will bolt right on like factory replacements. The local bodyshop warned me that most require some fabrication to fit so make sure before you buy. You're right, I didn't notice till you mentioned but it doesn't have the Saleen on the back bumper, me personally I don't care I still want it. And I don't care if Steve Saleen approves of my car, I just like the way the kit looks, and since I plan on getting a KB first, calling it a Saleen will be an insult IMO. Nice cars, but a little too much for a body kit and a weak S/C. I would take an 03/04 Cobra over a true 99-04 S281 Saleen anyday.
The S281E has a 2.3L Whipple which should beat out Kenne-Bells 2.2L Blowzilla, let alone the 1.7L unit they usually sell. Not all 99-04 Saleens are equal. Infact most saleens don't have any supercharger at all. Find a 99 S351 and you get a 5.8L motor. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

The weak supercharger units are the Eaton M90 in the series II and argueably the Whipple 1.6L twinscrew in the series IV. Some folks have made near-KB power with the whipple 1.6L by simply improving the intake manifold and spinning it a little harder. I'm making 381rwhp/384torque with a series IV right now and I've still got the stock manifold and inlets.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you think $1200 is too much??