4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

noise that sometimes hear from my car

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 12:12 AM
01yellowgt
3rd Gear Member

Default noise that sometimes hear from my car

I have only heard this noise a few times. two times at work when I was parked in the back, once at a friends, and I think another time at a light. Sounds like something hits the underside of the car once and makes noise that goes thump, and I feel it too. When it does it, I have started the car(except the time at the light), and I am about to move and I hear/feel the thump. Its not all the time after, its just happened on few times this week.

Old 01-29-2006, 12:19 AM
n/a_threat
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: noise that sometimes hear from my car

I hope one of your motor mounts aren't broke or weak. when i had my 91 taurus, one of the mounts when bad and the engine would lift out of the bay slightly and slam back down. aka = thump
Old 01-29-2006, 12:22 AM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

Might be a little bit of slack in your drive line. I get it too some times, Im pretty sure it is a loose driveshaft. Does it feel/sound like its right beneath you? If so, thats probably what it is. I guess there are two screws that you need to tighten down.... at least thats what the tranny shop said they did as they charged me $80 labor [:@]
Old 01-29-2006, 01:06 AM
01yellowgt
3rd Gear Member

Might be a little bit of slack in your drive line. I get it too some times, Im pretty sure it is a loose driveshaft. Does it feel/sound like its right beneath you? If so, thats probably what it is. I guess there are two screws that you need to tighten down.... at least thats what the tranny shop said they did as they charged me $80 labor
It didnt sounds/feels like was directly under me, sounds closer to my feet. If its just the driveshaft needing to be tightened. The shop that did my clutch needs to retighen the driveshaft, that or I need to get some ramps and do it myself.

I hope one of your motor mounts aren't broke or weak. when i had my 91 taurus, one of the mounts when bad and the engine would lift out of the bay slightly and slam back down. aka = thump
I hope not either. Changing out a motor mount doesnt sound like any fun. If it is I wish it would have waited closer to when im ready to put in LT's[:@]
Old 01-29-2006, 03:39 AM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

No harm in checkin the driveshaft, mine gives me plenty of weird sounds, adn the looser it gets the more you will hear it, eventually getting a pop every time you shift or put in the clutch, but its an easy fix. for your sake, I hope thats what it is. the one one sounds scary [:'(]
Old 01-29-2006, 03:47 AM
Master
3rd Gear Member

i feel it to, i keep checking my drive shaft but its fine.. could it be wear and tear on bushing somethere on struts or anything i dunno, im just guessing my damn self lol
Old 01-29-2006, 03:49 AM
SpecterGT260
5th Gear Member

you could also check your sway bars (thats another problem I had) ya need to locktite them if they come off for any suspension mods, but it gives a similar sound. just a thought
Old 01-29-2006, 09:55 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Anyone checking the transmission mount? I've never heard of one failing, but I'm sure its possible.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:16 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

Anyone checking the transmission mount? I've never heard of one failing, but I'm sure its possible.
Yea check that out, espically if you have been hot ******* it around town. I almost tore my in half the last day of school pulling a number of burn outs. THey are an easy fix.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:44 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Tranny mount in my 02 GT was no good and it would clunk the moment I started to move my car.

Quick Reply: noise that sometimes hear from my car