4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 11:46 AM
MEAT

Default need advice

Alright guys I hope you can help me cause im about to give up on this car. Well I have a 2002 mustang gt I blew the motor early december using nitrous. For the rebuild I found a good deal on a lightly used 03 cobra shortblock. The shortblock was assembled by modular powerhouse using ross 19cc dished pistons and manley rods.I reasembled the rest of the car using the shortblock with stock 2v heads I added a set of 262ah comp camsand comp valve springs. Then reinstalled the rest of my mods cold air intake, longtube headers, off road prochamber, catback, spec III clutch, Moroso 7qt oil pan w/windage tray thats about all of the major stuff. Now when I started the car after getting everything back together it wont stay running. The car wont find an idle then comes up with engine codes 0410, 0610 when I looked up the codes I found that it was the o2's in the longtubes so I replaced them and now its doing the same thing again. What could it be? At first I thought it was in the tune so I sent my cam cards and a list of my mods to a reputable tuner to get a chip. Well I got it back put the chip in and it still does the same thing. Is there something more needed with the tune or do you think it could be something else. I really have no idea. I drove the car very lightly around the block thinking the computer would adjust just a little. It seems to surge while driving but when I come to a stop the car will die. If I just put the clutch in and let the car coast down to a stop it will also just die. Could there be something in the fuel delivery at idle? I have no gauges to moniter such things as fuel presure or air fuel so I cant give you guys that kind of info. Please help
Old 01-29-2006, 12:54 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: need advice

I'm going to say it's some kind of air leak behind the MAF.Even removing the hose that goes into the IAC will cause the engine to slowly die.These MAF's are sensitive.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:10 PM
MEAT

Someone on another forum also mentioned cleaning the iac sensor I am going to try that later today.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:18 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

ive had several similar problems, one turned out to be i had the idle too high on the tune. the other was the intake came open and the maf was getting weird readings, another was my exhaust was leaking bad before the first o2s, another was it was running lean from a tune so i just set it back to stock.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:46 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

According to the Diagnostic Trobule Code (DTC) Lookup software I have:

P0410 - Secondary Air INjection System Malfunction

P0610 - Control Module Vehicle Options Malfunction

That does not look like O2 sensors to me, but I'm no expert.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:55 PM
MEAT

What do those codes mean? I was only stating the o2's cause thats what the guy at autozone told me. Anymore info on these codes or how to fix them would be great.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:44 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

if you dont mind me asking...how big of a shot of nitrous were you running and stuff that caused it to blow? im looking into nitrous...but things like this make me scared.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:38 PM
MEAT

Alright I figured out the code situation the codes I typed were the wrong codes, so I figured that part out but still cant keep the car running at idle. I checked all the vacum lines and all are connected. I cleaned the IAC module and it still wont stay idling do you think maybe the IAC is completly dead?

To answer the question about the nitrous I am a good example of how not to use nitrous. I was using the nx plate kit on a 100 shot with no tune, no saftey equipment other that WOT switch, stock fuel pump, and no idea what bottle pressure was when spraying on a cold december night. Dont use my situation as a reason not to get nitrous.
Old 01-29-2006, 07:07 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

I think I've spoken to 1 person who cleaned their IAC and actually had it work after that.

Replace it.

Old 01-29-2006, 07:12 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MEAT

Alright guys I hope you can help me cause im about to give up on this car. Well I have a 2002 mustang gt I blew the motor early december using nitrous. For the rebuild I found a good deal on a lightly used 03 cobra shortblock. The shortblock was assembled by modular powerhouse using ross 19cc dished pistons and manley rods.I reasembled the rest of the car using the shortblock with stock 2v heads I added a set of 262ah comp camsand comp valve springs. Then reinstalled the rest of my mods cold air intake, longtube headers, off road prochamber, catback, spec III clutch, Moroso 7qt oil pan w/windage tray thats about all of the major stuff. Now when I started the car after getting everything back together it wont stay running. The car wont find an idle then comes up with engine codes 0410, 0610 when I looked up the codes I found that it was the o2's in the longtubes so I replaced them and now its doing the same thing again. What could it be? At first I thought it was in the tune so I sent my cam cards and a list of my mods to a reputable tuner to get a chip. Well I got it back put the chip in and it still does the same thing. Is there something more needed with the tune or do you think it could be something else. I really have no idea. I drove the car very lightly around the block thinking the computer would adjust just a little. It seems to surge while driving but when I come to a stop the car will die. If I just put the clutch in and let the car coast down to a stop it will also just die. Could there be something in the fuel delivery at idle? I have no gauges to moniter such things as fuel presure or air fuel so I cant give you guys that kind of info. Please help
I think you should look into getting a custom tune. I had some idle problems and my tuner finnally figured it out after a few tries. The cams were throwing the computer off pretty bad.

Quick Reply: need advice