4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

exhaust?

Old 01-30-2006, 06:50 PM
Black on blacK
2nd Gear Member

Default exhaust?

i kno 95% of everybody on here has put exhaust on their cars. i want to know what everybody likes about the particular exhaust system they went with, and whether i should do exhaust and headers at the same time, or if it would be the same to do exhaust now, and headers later. what is the best sounding exhaust for a deep, mean sound?
Old 01-30-2006, 07:05 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Default RE: exhaust?

Im going with BBK Long Tube Headers, SLP Modular (Catted / Race pipes) X-Pipe, and the SLP Loudmouth 1 Catback. They will be on in about 3-4 weeks.

I have done A LOT of research and listening to clips and talking to people. This is going to give me the exact sound I am looking for.. One of the loudest setups possible and with the catted x-pipe is will still provide me with that deep rumble.

I was thinking about the o/r mid-pipe, which I may experiment with, but now I decided that I really didn't want all that raspyness that comes with the o/r pipe... and the catted pipe reduces that rasp.

I also thought about the LM2's, but I don't think they are going to be loud enough for me =)

Loudmouths easily sound the best with a full exhaust setup, nothing compares, IMO.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Rauchle05
2nd Gear Member

Borla is the best ive heard on a mustang gt.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:30 PM
Black on blacK
2nd Gear Member

what is an O/R midpipe? ive seen alot of people use it and i have no idea what it means.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Deannostang
3rd Gear Member

Yes, Borla is truly a well made, quality exhaust system. I have had them on my last two cars and loved them. If they have any drawback at all, it is that they really do not come alive until very high rpms. I now have a Magnaflow on my '98 GT vert and notice a much more uniform distribution of power across the entire rpm range. Magnaflow is also bulit with quality materials and finish. I believe you can buy a Magnaflow catback for at least $150+ cheaper than a comparible Borla system. I chose the "Flows" rather than the "Packs" so I can cruise and idle with just a nice rumble but scream when I give it the gun. Good system.

Try these guys for good deals on exhaust systems: www.completeexhaust.com You have to call them in order to get the absolute best discount on any system you choose. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2006, 07:42 PM
xx9gt6xx
4th Gear Member

I'm running an O/R H pipe w/ MAC Flowpath mufflers off the stock manifolds. It has a deep rumble at idle and the sound from the MAC's kind of resembles a Flowmaster, but with a different pitch. I love the set up and a set of LT Headers would set it off for sure!
Old 01-30-2006, 07:52 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

I am pretty much in love with my SLP LM1 catback. It is deep and very loud. I would highly recommend it to anybody.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:55 PM
n/a_threat
2nd Gear Member

check my sig. . .

From the back, I liked the borla because it was stainless and extremely well made. The 4" tips kick butt too. The sound is deeeep and refined. It sounds expensive. Moving forward. . . the bassani catted x is great again because it's stainless - I hate rust, I had a mac catted h before this and in 6 mos of regular fla driving, cancer was already getting to it. p.o.s. So I decided to chuck it and get the bassani catted x. Also, the catted h was so deep and loud, it actually, physically hurt my head and body to drive it with the borla cat back. Plus, bassani is excellent quality too. Their cats are really good high flow pieces. Finally, the mid length headers matched the x pipe. They are also a+++ quality. I love them because they are ceramic coated, for a cooler underhood temp, plus they practically look chrome and they freed up a lot of rpms for me. a lot less restriction 'exhaling'. plus, I dont' know any mustang owner with this set up, great quality and sound, but $$$.

IMO, do at least the cat back and a mid pipe at the same time.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:03 AM
CTXpitcher09
2nd Gear Member

I just put my Borla Stingers on yesterday and they sound great i love them!!! And they start getting realt loud at about 2000 RPM's
Old 01-31-2006, 12:20 AM
Silver01Stang

Replying to Black on black an O/R midpipe means an off road midpipe. This means a midpipe with no cats.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: exhaust?