4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Running with no o2 sensors hooked up?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 08:32 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

Default Running with no o2 sensors hooked up?

i just got an email from the guys at mustangtuning.com and they said they are out of stock of the 24" extensions for my car but they still have the mil elimnators in. will it hurt anything if i drive the car with no o2 sensors hooked up? im prob just gonna drive it home and park in my garage anyways and maybe take it out to see how it sounds after i get my o/r h and lt's put on. also is it hard putting on the extensions? im prob gonna tell the shop to put on the mil eliminators and ill put on the extensions. thanks
Old 01-30-2006, 08:41 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Running with no o2 sensors hooked up?

Car may run s****y without them and will throw a code for sure. The extensions are easy to put on. Just unplug the 02`s, plug in the extensions, and your done. Easy task.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:41 PM
Arlington Cobra

Why pay $50.00 to have them install the MIL Eliminators? Just disconnect one wire, snap the MIL Eliminators in-line between the O2 sensor and the wiring harness, zip tie it up away from the pipe and you're done!
Old 01-30-2006, 08:44 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Arlington Cobra

Why pay $50.00 to have them install the MIL Eliminators? Just disconnect one wire, snap the MIL Eliminators in-line between the O2 sensor and the wiring harness, zip tie it up away from the pipe and you're done!
dude im not paying then to install them. they are installing everything(headers, mid pipe) soo they said they would put on the o2 sensores and everythign else i need. who said i was paying them $50 dollars?
Old 01-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Hoov
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Arlington Cobra
who said i was paying them $50 dollars?
There was someone on this forum who was charged $50 to install.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:53 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wwmost

i just got an email from the guys at mustangtuning.com and they said they are out of stock of the 24" extensions for my car but they still have the mil elimnators in. will it hurt anything if i drive the car with no o2 sensors hooked up? im prob just gonna drive it home and park in my garage anyways and maybe take it out to see how it sounds after i get my o/r h and lt's put on. also is it hard putting on the extensions? im prob gonna tell the shop to put on the mil eliminators and ill put on the extensions. thanks
The car will run fine with the REAR o2 sensors disconnected. The rears have nothing to do with the computer's tuning of the a/f ratio. All they do is confirm that you still have cats in, they look for a preprogrammed difference between the before and after of the 2 sets of sensors.

I don't think the car will run at all with the FRONT sensors unhooked. Do not try this, as engine damage COULD result.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:42 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

yea im not disonecting the fronts just the rears until i get the enxtensions from mustangtuning.com. soo itll run fine for a week or soo if no rears hooked up? ok now i dont have to wait to get my stuff installed
Old 01-31-2006, 01:31 AM
CJFANNI
2nd Gear Member

Yes the rears do hurt the performance of your car it retards it and feeds more fuel to the engine, for saftey. Ebay has them for 12 bucks + s&hing.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:41 AM
Like778
2nd Gear Member

had the same problem, had to wait for the MIL Eliminators to arrive (back ordered). my car ran lean, really bad gas mileage, and wanted to stall at times. as soon i put the eliminators on and cleared the code (check engine light) it ran just fine. i ran it for about 3 days w/out o2 sensors, but never ran it hard.
Old 01-31-2006, 08:26 AM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Like778

had the same problem, had to wait for the MIL Eliminators to arrive (back ordered). my car ran lean, really bad gas mileage, and wanted to stall at times. as soon i put the eliminators on and cleared the code (check engine light) it ran just fine. i ran it for about 3 days w/out o2 sensors, but never ran it hard.
what kind did you use. i bought the steeda ones.

Quick Reply: Running with no o2 sensors hooked up?