4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Finally Figured out my Exhaust set up... But still need some help PLZ!

Old 01-31-2006, 03:19 AM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

Default Finally Figured out my Exhaust set up... But still need some help PLZ!

Well, i think i finally figured out what im going to do, But i need your guys' help,

I going the cost effective route, i cant deny it, i love the way the flowmasters sound... The most aggresive sounding ones are the 40's right?

Then i want to install somthing else, but i really have no idea what an X Pipe, H pipe, Off Road or any of that means... I want the sound of the flows, but LOUDER...

What do you suggest i want to keep it under $400, so the flows will cost me about $100 to $120/ Then what do i need, How do i install it? weld ? Do i need other connectors? Sensors? extensions?

Thanks guys, This forum rules...
Old 01-31-2006, 03:23 AM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Finally Figured out my Exhaust set up... But still need some help PLZ!

I would reccomend an H pipe with chambered mufflers (which flowmasters are). If you want to get it as loud as possible go with an Off/Road H pipe. Off-Road means it has no catalytic converters, which filter out pollutants. Off/Road Pipes are not technically legal to run because of emissions. If you live in an area with emissions checks, go with a catted midpipe. And the difference between an H and an X pipe is pretty minimal as far as horsepower gains go. It is usually best to go with whatever will sound the best because the difference between an X and an h will only be a HP or 2.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:26 AM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Finally Figured out my Exhaust set up... But still need some help PLZ!

What will i need as far as getting it installed? And what brand do you reccomend?
Old 01-31-2006, 03:29 AM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

Are you installing the flowmaster yourself? If not, I'd suggest just having them do it for your while they are under there anyway. They will probably charge you about 50 bucks to install the midpipe. And what year is your mustang?
Old 01-31-2006, 03:32 AM
Like778
2nd Gear Member

i have the flomasters with o/r h pipe and it sounds great. if really want to save money and know some one who has a welder, cut off the stock cats, buy the mil eliminitors for the rear o2 sensors and bam, a cheap o/r h pipe has been created.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:33 AM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

I have a 2003 GT, I heard one guy say somthing about extensions for sensors? and 02 simulators?

Whats a good midpipe? and will that be able to just connect right to the mufflers?
Old 01-31-2006, 03:37 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

I would definitely try to do it yourself if you have the place to do it. Installing both the catback and the midpipe is very simple. It will also give you a crash course on your exhaust system, being able to see how everything is routed and what everything does/where it hooks up. As simple as it is, it's still good to know if your unaware.

Isn't the replacement midpipe usually just a little bit larger in diameter? I think getting a new midpipe would still be the best choice instead of doing a frankenstein to the stock pipe.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:39 AM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quickshift_02GT

I would definitely try to do it yourself if you have the place to do it. Installing both the catback and the midpipe is very simple. It will also give you a crash course on your exhaust system, being able to see how everything is routed and what everything does/where it hooks up. As simple as it is, it's still good to know if your unaware.

Isn't the replacement midpipe usually just a little bit larger in diameter? I think getting a new midpipe would still be the best choice instead of doing a frankenstein to the stock pipe.
+1

I think he wanted to do weld-in flowmasters tho.....
Old 01-31-2006, 03:41 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Hmm...

Would the cost of getting the weld-in Flowmasters plus installation, plus installation of the midpipe(assuming he purchases one) be lower than the cost of just the midpipe/full catback when he installs it himself?
Old 01-31-2006, 03:43 AM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Like778

i have the flomasters with o/r h pipe and it sounds great. if really want to save money and know some one who has a welder, cut off the stock cats, buy the mil eliminitors for the rear o2 sensors and bam, a cheap o/r h pipe has been created.
Yeah i know a guy who will weld the whole system in, but i am still unsure of what i need... With all my other cars I just took it in and had the Flowmasters welded in, that was it... I love the sound of them i just want it alot louder....

What are "mil eliminitors for the rear o2 sensors"

Can some one tell me exactly what i will need?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally Figured out my Exhaust set up... But still need some help PLZ!