4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Installed MGW shifter

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 01:32 AM
Silver99GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Installed MGW shifter

I also bought an MGW and it's fantastic. Be aware that if you order from the website as I did, there is no way of picking which handle length you'll get. I've seen where they offer a blue (super short) and an orange (regular short) but unless I missed it, they offer only the orange on the site. There is a comment section on the order form where I typed "blue short extention please" but I got an orange. I'd suggest a phone order if you want the blue really short one. I'm keeping the orange as it's very close to what the Hurst felt like in my old 5.0 LX and I can't imagine streatching for anything shorter. After setting the stops, don't forget to try reverse (under power) before putting everything back together as 2nd and 4th worked fine but reverse took an extra turn out on the stop before it would stay in.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:37 AM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Silver99GT

I also bought an MGW and it's fantastic. Be aware that if you order from the website as I did, there is no way of picking which handle length you'll get. I've seen where they offer a blue (super short) and an orange (regular short) but unless I missed it, they offer only the orange on the site. There is a comment section on the order form where I typed "blue short extention please" but I got an orange. I'd suggest a phone order if you want the blue really short one. I'm keeping the orange as it's very close to what the Hurst felt like in my old 5.0 LX and I can't imagine streatching for anything shorter. After setting the stops, don't forget to try reverse (under power) before putting everything back together as 2nd and 4th worked fine but reverse took an extra turn out on the stop before it would stay in.
They no offer the blue "sport" and red "cruiser" handles. They redesigned the whole stem and made a whole new handle. The Orange one. It has the shortness of the blue and the reach of the red handle. So, now you have the best of both worlds.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:44 AM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

I've got a 00 GT with the t-45/5 and I have the stops out. Had it like this for about 3 months now and 0 problems.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:57 AM
01yellowgt
3rd Gear Member

I'll trade my mgw shifter with the red and blue handle for a mgw shifter with an orange handle
Old 02-02-2006, 12:23 AM
staffordite

alright so it sounds like the MGW is the best choice,but is it really that much better than the pro 5.0??
Old 02-02-2006, 01:00 AM
dan
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wwmost

what did you do with the stops? i herd someone say that the directions say to back them all the way out on the 3650 tranny because it has internal stops.
If MGW recomends that you DON'T use the stops. Then it I highly recomend that you DON'T use the stops. This is for one very important reason. The fact that if the stops are adjusted too far "out" (or in depending on the way you look at it), you can cause it to pop out of gear under hard acceleration and damage your tranny very badly. Just a word of advice. But if it says to use them, then by all means use them.

I have an MGW and i love it.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:32 AM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

looks like MGW for the win
Old 02-02-2006, 03:52 AM
Jiggy_One
3rd Gear Member

Congrats on the shifter man. I have been wanting one too, and I heard the same raves about it from other guys in our area. Now you got me thinking about it, I may get one. Im taking the car out this weekend and going shooting with one of my buddies. If you are a handgun person, we should meetup and hit the range than take in lunch. I want to see that shifter, and Im sure you want to see what the 4.10s can do. Let me know.

Brian
Old 02-02-2006, 07:50 PM
wwmost
5th Gear Member

does the stock shifter have stops in it besides the internal stops? or is that just on aftermarket shifters?
Old 02-02-2006, 07:54 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

the stock one does not have stops, just the internal ones.

Quick Reply: Installed MGW shifter