4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

underdrive pullies just in the mail!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 02:43 PM
IownaMustangNow
3rd Gear Member

Default underdrive pullies just in the mail!

k so i got them... no installation manual.. bummer...i dint expect one but it woulda been nice.. but just wondering do i need to get a new belt now? and if so what size ?
Old 02-02-2006, 03:17 PM
idriveamustang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: underdrive pullies just in the mail!

thats a big negative.. you wont need a new belt, i didnt. If you dont have the puller for the harmonic balancer go to pep boys buy it there then return it.. thats what i did
Old 02-02-2006, 05:39 PM
IownaMustangNow
3rd Gear Member

so like yea.... the puller for the harmonic what? lol fill me in
Old 02-02-2006, 05:43 PM
pete1665
2nd Gear Member

you need a tool "puller" to get one of the pullies "the harmonic balancer" off. You can usually rent the tool for free from parts stores like autozone.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:44 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

It's a harmonic balancer pulley. Can be had for $15 if you want to buy it.. Buy a new belt anyways since you going to have the old one off. It's only $30
Old 02-02-2006, 07:24 PM
98MustangSTL
3rd Gear Member

Hey, I just put some pullies on mine. I had to get an air impact wrench to get the alternator pully off. Then I had to rent a pully puller to get the crankshaft/harmonic balancer pully off. The easiest one was the water pump pully, piece of cake. You may want to use the air impact wrench for the crankshaft pulley also. Just remove you fan and stick it right in. It took me about an hour to install the pullies. Hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:39 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGT

You can get Steedas for about $200. I've not had any of the problems mentioned above. Of course, at idle, regardless of pulleys, your accessories turn slower, so a drop in A/C 'coldness' should be expected. Any car should have that to a degree.

As far as gains, well some say 5-10 rwhp. I do notice it, but it is not huge.

Self install? If you have the tools, yes. Here's how I did it.

You'll need: impact wrench, metric socket set up to 18 mm, locktite, liquid gasket, pulley puller, torque wrench up to 75 lb feet., cotton rag, 90 minutes.

1) Start with a cool/cold motor. You don't want to be burned. Set brake and leave in gear!

2) Use a 3/8 drive rachet or breaker bar in the square slot on the idler arm to remove tension on the belt. Remove belt.

3) Remove alternator from motor. Wrap and twist the rag around the pulley (see attached slide. It looks odd, but it works.) Use the impact wrench to unscrew nut while holding the twisted rag tighly. Remove and install new pulley using the same technique. Set aside.

4) Remove water pump pulley (four bolts) and set aside.

5) Unbolt overflow resevoir (three bolts) and wedge to the side. You can remove it, but you'll leak some antifreeze on the ground.

6) Unplug and unbolt electric fan (2 bolts a top corners). Pulling straight up, remove fan. This is easier if you remove the resevoir!

7) Use the impact wrench and the 18mm socket to remove the crank dampener bolt. Use pulley puller to carefully remove the stock dampener.

8) Inspect everything while you're here. Check for leaks by the crank.

Install:

1) Using gasket maker, place a dab of it on the key (slot) of the crankshaft. THis will help you to avoid a minor leak. Place new pulley onto crank, aligning the key/slot. Using a RUBBER mallet, gently work the new dampener onto the shaft for 1/2 an inch. Place locktite on stock bolt and thread it in. Tighten until snug. Using the torque wrench, tighen to 66 lbs. then loosen one full turn. Tighten to 36lbs. Now, using a breaker bar, tighten another 90 degrees. If you did not leave the car in gear, the crank will spin! Done.

2) Since the fan is out of the way still, install the alternator and the new waterpump pulley. Put locktite on the H2O pulley bolts to be safe.

3) Install belt. Make sure you know how it goes on properly. Good Idea to take a picture before disassembly!

3) Install fan and resevoir.

4) Inspect everything! Ensure that the pulleys all line up! Make sure all connections/hoses/wires are on.

5) Start car and watch for wobble in the pulleys.

6) If everything looks a-okay, drop the hood and go for a spin.

NOTE: If you start getting a MIL for misfire and the accompanying misfire, go to Ford and buy a new dampener bolt and tighten as noted above. (If the bolt loosens, a slight vibration will develp and the crank position sensor will throw a misfire and a code. No damage will be caused, but it is a little annoying.

Hope this help you out.
I wrote this a while back after I put UDPs on my '04. I know yours is a '96, but I'm guessing they are similar enough for this to work. I recommend disconnecting the battery during install just to reset the ECM. Good luck.
Old 02-02-2006, 09:15 PM
IownaMustangNow
3rd Gear Member

ahh thank u blue