4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New to the 4.6, a couple questions and some pic's

Old 02-03-2006, 12:03 AM
silver03gt
3rd Gear Member

Default New to the 4.6, a couple questions and some pic's

I posted this over on allfordmustangs, but not much of a response, so here you go
Hello, Just thought I'd say hi and post a couple pics, Picked this car up at the end of december, it has 18000 miles and is in mint shape. Unfortunately I haven't had it for the past 3 weeks cause some kid hit it while it was parked and f'ed up the quarter panel, but my buddy chased him and his insurance is paying for it, plus I got a free catback out of it, I went with the SLP LM1 , I should be picking it up tommorow the shop has been waiting on the exhaust. So, for questions,
1. What is the widest tires that will fit the stock rims, front without rubbing and rear, I don't want to go with drag radials, but whats a good tire for straight line traction and will corner well?
2. Is there any software out there that will allow me to tune the car with my laptop, as opposed to buying a handheld tuner, I would rather use my laptop and I would like real time displays of all the functions while the car is running.
3. How much nitrous can the stock motor handle? Just for the track, in my research, it appears this motor is realitivly expensive to get serious power, so nitrous seems to be the cheapest way, with a tune, exhaust and intake.
4. Are there any auto shifters out there besides the B&M hammer, I had the megashifter in my camaro and really liked that one, I don't like the curves on the handle of the hammer.
Well, enough for now I guess, this site seems to offer a lot of info, but these Q's I figured I'd ask, thanks, Mike Also, here are a couple pic's, What do ya think, I love the Silver with the rims, I am gonna lower it and add a chin spoiler after my engine mod's, also there aere pic's of what that a**hole did to my car
Old 02-03-2006, 12:05 AM
silver03gt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: New to the 4.6, a couple questions and some pic's

pic
Old 02-03-2006, 12:06 AM
silver03gt
3rd Gear Member

[IMG]local://upfiles/29007/46EA7F947E824ADDBBC379BDFDA09545.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-03-2006, 12:07 AM
silver03gt
3rd Gear Member

[IMG]local://upfiles/29007/BFDA8584A0D9499C95CDA6B34D3B3EF2.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-03-2006, 12:17 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

1. 275's will fit, but that doesn't mean they should be used. The recommended size is the stock tire size, 245's. If you want the best traction, wear, and performance...use 245's unless you change the wheel size.

2. Fast and the Furious? You can get gauges installed in your car that will inform you in real-time of all the essentials that you should be worried about. Having an LCD screen or laptop specifically for this purpose is kind of rediculous when relativily cheap gauges will do the same thing.

3. Cheapest isn't always the best route to take, but as long as your careful... I hate nitrous and would never touch the stuff, but I'm sure others can help you out here. Lots of great members use it and have no problems whatsoever.

4. Not sure on this either. [&:]

Car looks great, although I would be PISSED if someone smacked my car after 3 weeks of ownership too. Best of luck to you man, you definitely deserve it after that.

Welcome!
Old 02-03-2006, 12:22 AM
silver03gt
3rd Gear Member

Thanks,, No, no fast and furios stuff here, I just want to be able to anylize the data afterwards, not while I am driving, Yea, I was pissed when the car got hit, but at least It's all getting fixed, the catback made me happy though, lol
Old 02-03-2006, 12:24 AM
kasper
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quickshift_02GT

Car looks great, although I would be PISSED if someone smacked my car after 3 weeks of ownership too. Best of luck to you man, you definitely deserve it after that.

Welcome!
I would be pissed if someone smacked my car after 12 years of ownership
Old 02-03-2006, 01:01 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Why did you get silver...Don't you know silver Mustangs are SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW?
Old 02-03-2006, 01:05 AM
aMerICAn_mUsCLe79
2nd Gear Member

Nice lookin car man goodluck with it
Old 02-03-2006, 01:50 AM
HaV
5th Gear Member

I can answer #2 pretty well for you.
You will need a tuner or a type of attatchment to plug into your ODBII port. You can use the SCT xcal2 for data logging when you do runs. You can also get software from the manufact' of different tuners, like SCT and make custom tunes with it. The dyno shop I go to has this setup.. an xcal with the custom tune software on the lappy. He can create the tune, load it to the xcal, then load it into the car. As for data logging you can do a data log run with most advanced tuners and upload it to a pc via usb I believe.

THey also make palm pilot software and the ODBII attachment. My friend has it on his 240sx and it really kicks ***. He pushes a button and it logs boost, A/F, timing, etc and he can review it on the spot. He can also make timing and AF changes in between runs based on if he is running a little to lean. he actualy had to run extra wires and drill into exhaust to put a sensor in it.. When we went to the dyno the other day it was reading almost the same as the sensor they stick in the exhaust pipe, but its supposed to be slightly more accurate on that because of its location.

I have no idea where he got it but I can holler at him tommorrow at work and ask if you would like.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to the 4.6, a couple questions and some pic's