4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What will it take to hit 400hp

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 12:46 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

Default What will it take to hit 400hp

I'm new to the forums...so I don't know if this has been discussed. I desire a nice 400 hp daily driving stang (to the motor, 400 at the wheels would be fun too i guess), and willing to do w/e it takes, in the course of a couple years since I'm no rich man, lol. I'd like to stay all motor if possible. What would it take, would stage 1 mods plus every bolt on possible get me there? input? I could attain this hp with a s/c but, a 400 n/a motor would sound better than a 400 s/c'd motor, plus, a s/c would be too easy to hit my target.

my beauty is a 99 gt 4spd, (i'll take the 3% drivetrain dive, cause its a daily driver, and when a car has a stick shift, that means race time in my book, an auto holds me back from revvin up all the time =p)

i've read about code's ride, and he has something like 340 hp, is that to the wheels or crank?

i know i know, i need gears. 4:10's all the way baby.

any i havent really heard any input on shift kits, i've heard them being recomended, but never hear feedback. anyone with a shift kit installed have any? I plan on going transgo.

fairly stock now, just intake+exhaust, getting a shift kit in 2 weeks, then im saving for internals.

another question off topic from this, my friend owns a 00 gt, 5spd, and when he shifts in lower rpms, his rpms stick around 1.5-2k...more or less when the vehicles hot, think his tranny fluid is bad or something? if he rides out the rpms to 3K or more it seems fine. does his car just wanna be raced all the time? lol. his car is completely stock.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:27 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What will it take to hit 400hp

be prepared to spend some $$$$ to hit 400 hp on a na 4.6l your gonna need a good bottom end and some compression i wouldn't go about 10.5 to one that way you can still get away with pump gass but. a stroker kit wouldn't hurt. p&p heads, cams, a good intake, then all the other little stuff like throttle bodies injectors and all that stuff.

as far as a shift kit i wouldn' tworry about that get a tuner it will work just as good as a shift kit and you can get a lot of other funtions with it.
Old 02-04-2006, 01:33 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tim37

be prepared to spend some $$$$ to hit 400 hp on a na 4.6l your gonna need a good bottom end and some compression i wouldn't go about 10.5 to one that way you can still get away with pump gass but. a stroker kit wouldn't hurt. p&p heads, cams, a good intake, then all the other little stuff like throttle bodies injectors and all that stuff.

as far as a shift kit i wouldn' tworry about that get a tuner it will work just as good as a shift kit and you can get a lot of other funtions with it.
Now that wouldn't quite make it a 4.6 anymore would it?

I highly doubt you can get 400 rwhp. Code is making 340rwhp with every imagineable bolt on..
Why stay n/a. Get a blower, yes it super easy that way. Forged bottom end and up the boost..500+ rwhp.
No way anything stage 1 will get you there.
Old 02-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Master
3rd Gear Member

also get you a nice stall for that auto
Old 02-04-2006, 02:27 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

Kenne bell.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:51 PM
ackuric
4th Gear Member

i've heard some videos being taped from inside a cobra, my god i hate that whine, i want some roar all day. 340 to codes wheels is about 390ish hp at the motor, i guess thats what i'd be looking for.

in regards of the shift kit, im getting my tranny fluid changed, and thats 100$, for another 200$ i get a shift kit in my stang, 100 labor 100 parts, plus i heard the 1-2 and 2-3 pistons/accumulators are bad in the 4r70w's, so throwing 2 new ones in definitely wouldnt hurt...so i think throwing a shift kit in would just be an advantage. I would tune but wouldnt i need to retune after every other big mod, such as gears, cam, ect..? wouldnt it be better to wait on the tune?

im anticipating on the cost hitting over 10-15K for the project, of course...like i said its a progress that will happen over the next 2 years.

is codes gt with stage 1 internals, a p51 intake, and of course all the bolt ons? gawd hes a sexy mama jama.

im just looking for input, for the best setup. afterall if i plan on spending 5-10k on the engine, would i be better off doing a engine/tranny swap down the road, and say hello to the stroker? but but i love the modular

I find it easier to save up 2000$ and spend it, every couple months, rather then saving 5000$ and spending it all at once, if that makes any sense, lol. I have faith in the good old 2v sohc.

maybe if i play my music loud enough i wont hear the whining supercharger. i would love a s/c but i would hate the whine, im irritable, lol =p
Old 02-04-2006, 05:32 PM
bigedog8
3rd Gear Member

umm if you plan to invest 10-15k, get a blower and lower compression with forged internals......ya way over 400hp for less than 15k for sure. think about how you want to invest your money (gotta get some boost), plus u can find superchargers that dont make much noise man, just look around. trying to invest all that money to get 400 hp N/A is not worth is IMO. get the kenne bell twin screw those are hot.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:36 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

Sell your car, buy a ls1 and throw a big cam in... few bolt ons and maybe a shot of juice, youll have well over 400rwhp.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

i think paxton makes a supercharger that isn't suposed to have the gear whine.
Old 02-04-2006, 05:56 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Twin Screws make a whine.
Centi's make a whistle.

Quick Reply: What will it take to hit 400hp