4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

s/c or turbo

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 01:53 AM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

Default RE: s/c or turbo

Eh, whatever. Still not worth it. lol.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:12 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blueangelfightr

Eh, whatever. Still not worth it. lol.
Rofl, yeah I guess not. The turbo would be cool to have for the pure cosmetic appeal of it. And god do they sound mean.

Saw a 900+ RWHP 97 turbo cobra on the St. Louis shops dyno once. It was competely unreal. I think my car was scared just being in the same parkinglot afterwards.

If I was just going to add a blower or a turbo and never do anything else (except maybe exaust) I would def go with the turbo. If I was gonna mod it further but on a limited budget I would get the blower
Old 02-05-2006, 02:50 AM
VARifleman
3rd Gear Member

Prochargers are great track s/c's. They are centifugals so they make awesome power at lower RPM's then a twin screw. A procharger will be pretty expensive, I can't remember the price, but $4k-$5k is in my head. They should give you around 400 RWHP at around 9 PSI. Go to their website and send a request for information. They'll mail you a bunch of stuff to help you out.
The centrafugals make better power at lower rpms than twin screw? I was under the impression (between reports of roots and twinscrew and centrafugal other places and what other member here have said) that the twin screw and roots make much better power down low than centrafugal.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:56 AM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VARifleman

Prochargers are great track s/c's. They are centifugals so they make awesome power at lower RPM's then a twin screw. A procharger will be pretty expensive, I can't remember the price, but $4k-$5k is in my head. They should give you around 400 RWHP at around 9 PSI. Go to their website and send a request for information. They'll mail you a bunch of stuff to help you out.
The centrafugals make better power at lower rpms than twin screw? I was under the impression (between reports of roots and twinscrew and centrafugal other places and what other member here have said) that the twin screw and roots make much better power down low than centrafugal.
Well, sort of. A twin screw will make more torque at lower RPM's then a centifugal, but a centifugal makes more hp at lower RPM's. For example. A centifugal makes max hp at around 4k RPM's and a twin screw is around 6k RPM's. But the torque on a twin screw is better at lower RPM's. Get it?
Old 02-05-2006, 03:19 AM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGT

FRPP S/C, install kit, and belt runs about $3200 at www.dugan-racing.com. Not including shipping or installation. Comes with pretty much everything. 6psi, no cooler. Should push about 100hp on stock motor (Ford states 55hp on FRPP site)

[IMG]local://upfiles/19116/44E0E7590BFE4F12878BD900EAFE32CB.jpg[/IMG]
6psi... WEAK
Old 02-05-2006, 10:56 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Hey, I'm not trying to market the things, just giving the guy options. Jeez, lighten up guys. BTW, the base KB kit is not cooled and has 6psi, too. And it's more than $3200. I'd take the KB over the FRPP set up, but not everyone wants to push that much air.

Anyway, does anyone on here have or know someone who has the FRPP kit? I'm curious as to whether or not it develops 6psi and what kind of gains it offers. Still, KB is better, hands down.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:32 PM
VARifleman
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VARifleman

Well, sort of. A twin screw will make more torque at lower RPM's then a centifugal, but a centifugal makes more hp at lower RPM's. For example. A centifugal makes max hp at around 4k RPM's and a twin screw is around 6k RPM's. But the torque on a twin screw is better at lower RPM's. Get it?
Ok, I got that.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:38 AM
b16coupe

More torque at a lower rpm will always yeild a higher horespower too. Horsepower is the rate at which torque is applied so if you have more torque @ x rpm then you will also have more horsepower. I would think that you would have a more low end power with the twin screw and more high end with a centrifugal supercharger but I really haven't done a lot of research on the twin screw.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:29 AM
simpsvt97
1st Gear Member

ive looked into the KB and vortech difference..basically i found this out...KB will get a vortech from a dig and from low rolls due the low RPM torque and reaching max boost as soon as your floor it....but the vortech will blow past the KB on the long run around 80-100 mph when the vortech reaches max boost at around 5k or less..and also vortech makes more hp at the wheels thana KB does....w/ my cobra..im limited to the 1.5L KB soo i can get 400 rwhp max...but w/ a vortech ill get 430-440 rwhp on a safe tune...on stock internals...but when i upgrade pistons and all....i can run more boost and then make more rwhp
Old 02-06-2006, 03:14 AM
03sonicgt
5th Gear Member

Turbo if you have the cash, if not get a KB or vortech.

Quick Reply: s/c or turbo