4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

just got magnaflows?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 09:12 PM
james.a.foster

Default RE: just got magnaflows?

yea i do and they sound great but ive been thinking abt adding a cross pipe to mine any ideas but if u let someone else drive ur car and listen to it at it drives away it sounds a hell of a whole lot better than flowmasters besides everyone has them
Old 02-07-2006, 09:51 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: meebix

Yea I have magnaflows on my car now...

To tell you the truth.. Yes they will break in a little, but only a little.. You will notice a slight difference. But I hate to disappoint you, even from when you first put them on, thats about as loud as it is going to get. That's exactly why I am so unhappy with mine and Im going with a full exhaust setup. Because this time I want to do it "right" and just re-do the whole system with my new SLP Loudmouths.

My flows have been on my car for a good 6 months now, so I have definitely broken them in... They do sound good, no denying that, but they are soooo quiet. Too quiet for me. Sometimes at idle.. If I sit for a while, I have to rev the engine to make sure my car is still on, because sometimes I think I turned it off or something... Because seriously you CANT hear it at idle... I personally think its quieter than stock at idle.

But, they do sound good when you get on it... And some people like that. Quiet when they want, and louder when they get on it. Personally I dont want that... I want it loud all around, but Im just speaking from experience. But anyway, Good Luck!
I got a video coming (if stupid streetfire would fix itself) that will make ya sad you dumped the magnas

The difference between just a catback and a full exaust with catback is large btw. No catback is gonna be ungodly loud with a stock set of exaust mainfolds and the stock cat h pipe.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:54 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

I got a video coming (if stupid streetfire would fix itself) that will make ya sad you dumped the magnas

The difference between just a catback and a full exaust with catback is large btw. No catback is gonna be ungodly loud with a stock set of exaust mainfolds and the stock cat h pipe.
Yea I realize that, but I won't be able to hear my flows with a full exhaust unfortunately. But LM's are far superior to magnas in my mind.. there is really no comparison at all, thats why of course Im going with a hopeful full SLP system.

But I would like to see the video, just to see what it could have been like =)
Im just so disappointed with them, I would never change my mind now, plus I want LOUD and magnas will never get me there.

------ And all you guys talking about the full exhaust Magnaflows scaring chicks and old ladies and stuff... LOL, what do you think my car will do then... Drop them dead? Turn them inside out? Heh.. LM vs. Magnas are no comparison. Magnas don't sound bad at all, I do like there sound, but they are not loud enough for me =)
Old 02-07-2006, 09:58 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Have you already ordered the stuff?? There is no reason you have to install it all at once. It is easy as **** to install a catback with just a set of jackstands (assuming you are having someone install the LTs and midpipe).

They all bolt up the same, so if you order SLP stuff it will still bolt up to the magnaflow catback.
Old 02-07-2006, 09:59 PM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

why wouldn't mags get you there. If you put an o/r mid pipe with a cat-back mag system it will be loud. Plus my magnaflows are just breaking in they sound get right now way better then stock and i don't have an o/r mid pipe yet. It will be perfect.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:04 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

why wouldn't mags get you there. If you put an o/r mid pipe with a cat-back mag system it will be loud. Plus my magnaflows are just breaking in they sound get right now way better then stock and i don't have an o/r mid pipe yet. It will be perfect.
Yea but listen to what your saying... Ok Magnaflows + Headers + o/r midpipe... Yea it will be very loud, but compared to..

SLP LT's + SLP X + SLP LM1's... There is NO, NADA, not even close of a comparison. And thats hopefully my setup. So yes your setup will be loud, no freakin doubt it will be loud... But it won't get me there. And in comparision to the SLP Setup, it has no chance, it will be blown away.

-----

2000GT4.6: I may try it... but Im paying for the installtion of the headers, and I will have him just take 30 mins to put the rest of the exhaust on... And my car is lowered, so I can't get under there.. So techinically I really won't be able to hear it.. And I don't want to test it out with the mechanic, because then Im under the clock and I am TIGHT on money =/
Old 02-07-2006, 10:13 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: meebix

Yea but listen to what your saying... Ok Magnaflows + Headers + o/r midpipe... Yea it will be very loud, but compared to..

SLP LT's + SLP X + SLP LM1's... There is NO, NADA, not even close of a comparison. And thats hopefully my setup. So yes your setup will be loud, no freakin doubt it will be loud... But it won't get me there. And in comparision to the SLP Setup, it has no chance, it will be blown away.

-----

2000GT4.6: I may try it... but Im paying for the installtion of the headers, and I will have him just take 30 mins to put the rest of the exhaust on... And my car is lowered, so I can't get under there.. So techinically I really won't be able to hear it.. And I don't want to test it out with the mechanic, because then Im under the clock and I am TIGHT on money =/
With a aftermarket catback on, if you cannot do the swap yourself with a comple of concrete blocks (to set the tires on after you lift it), the mustang jack, and a 3/8 socket drive set, you don't deserve to own a mustang. It will be super easy. Hell, with a set of jackstands and a good jack I had my catback installed in under 30 minutes, and I had to cut the factory pipes outta there.

I guess worst case just make sure you DON'T let them throw the magnaflow catback away. Hell, if nothing else I will pay for the shipping for you to send it to me. I can use the mufflers.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:24 PM
CobraSnake
5th Gear Member

yeah but LM's don't sound good on a cobra because of the 4v.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:52 PM
steeda3
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

Just get the magnapacks. You'll cream.
Those things aren't legal in every state.....I had a police pull me over here in Seattle....people was complaining about me. I ran into a guy a few months before i got mine and his MF's sounded great....He didn't even have the packs.........A very deep rich tone...
Old 02-07-2006, 11:58 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

yeah but LM's don't sound good on a cobra because of the 4v.
Exactly yellowcobra.. Thats what Im saying.. For your car, that setup will be nasty. Personally I would go with the packs, not the flows, but thats just me. But Im saying for me... I want LOOOOUUUDDD and the Magnaflows will not get me there even with a full exhaust.

And 2000GT4.6, I know I could do the exhaust swap... But my car has a 2' drop on it dude... I cant get **** under there. I can get a jack under there to lift the car. I would need a lift at a shop. And when I do put my exhaust on, Ill send you the mufflers if you want. Only been on about 4 months with like 600 miles on them.

Quick Reply: just got magnaflows?