MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Stock Tune Settings?? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/94111-stock-tune-settings.html)

frondon 02-07-2006 12:10 AM

Stock Tune Settings??

Hi everyone,

A while back I posted that my stock '04 GT was running like $h1t. I took it to the Ford Dealer and they checked everything: acceleration, fuel injector's pressure, idle, etc.
When I pour fuel injector cleaner the exhaust sounds better and does not vibrate as much, nor it is sluggish when I drive it.
I normally drive 45min to 1hr, to work each way; most of the time stop-and-go traffic.
Currently I am getting 15ml/gal. Even when traffic is flowing, I am shifting at ~2800 rpm.

IS THIS NORMAL????

or should I go to another dealership?? Also, the car only has 19k miles.

Pleeeeeease let me know.

Thanks.

MustangMafia 02-07-2006 12:14 AM

RE: Stock Tune Settings??

Without seeing/driving the car, not many people are going to be able to help you out too much...

frondon 02-07-2006 12:22 AM

Where can I get the settings for the stock tunning? I am beginning to think that the settings may be screwed up? Would a tune shop be able to see if my tunning settings are stock?

MustangMafia 02-07-2006 12:24 AM

Not sure, you could always get a handheld tuner and load yourself a performance tune...

red2k1gt 02-07-2006 12:28 AM

when was the last time the fuel filter/air filter was changed?

frondon 02-07-2006 12:35 AM

re2k1gt,

The air filter is new. I just bought the car on x-mas '05. I have no clue when the fuel filter was lask changed. The car looks brand new. I think that it may have been parked for a while? Where is the fuel filter located?

Also, where do I find a service book? All I could ever find is up to 2003? is it the same?

THanks,

MustangMafia 02-07-2006 12:39 AM

ORIGINAL: frondon

re2k1gt,

The air filter is new. I just bought the car on x-mas '05. I have no clue when the fuel filter was lask changed. The car looks brand new. I think that it may have been parked for a while? Where is the fuel filter located?

Also, where do I find a service book? All I could ever find is up to 2003? is it the same?

THanks,
I'm sure the booketl is the same

xx9gt6xx 02-07-2006 01:51 AM

That's not good... Something is up. I get 20mpg city in my 96 w/ 4:10 gears and mods in the city...

gt96stang 02-07-2006 01:54 AM

yeah, i've gotten up to 22 mpg with my 3.73's. something is deff up.

ShadowDrake 02-07-2006 03:13 AM

ORIGINAL: MustangMafia

I'm sure the booketl is the same
NO IT IS NOT. If you are looking at the Haynes manual for the 1994-2003 Mustangs don't buy it. I bought one and it is missing so much information and does not include an SOHC engine with a coil-on-plug ignition. There is so much incorrect and missing information that it is not worth half of what you will be able to find it for.

Take it to another dealership, something is wrong, that is not the way it should be running. I get 18-22 MPG usually (I haven't measured my mileage lately, I'll fill a tank and run it 99% dry after the weather gets warmer... or when the snow goes away so I can actually drive it [:@]).

The fuel filter is in front of the fuel tank... a little tough to get to if you just have a jack and jackstands, but if you have a lift it's no problem at all. You need a fuel line disconnect tool to remove it, though... You can rent one for free from AutoZone.

How many miles does it have? The fuel filter should not have to be changed for 60,000 miles. I would hope you don't have 60k miles on an 04 already. It is possible the fuel pump may be fouled because the last owner ran it out of fuel multiple times... We can't provide you with suggestions without a description of what is wrong (I missed your previous thread). Maybe any information you got out of the dealership you took it to to get it repaired.

For now though, take it to a different dealership. If it is the same after they look at it, tell them you are the second one you have been to (not before) and the problem has still not been fixed... You are under warranty (my guess), and they should be fixing it.

Edit: Try shifting lower. 2200 RPM and be really light on the throttle... it's alright to take 30+ seconds to get up to 55 mph. I shift around 2200 RPM normally, except for fifth... which I will take it up to 2500 or so. If I feel like listening to the exhaust I'll shift higher, 3250 or so... but it's gotta kill gas mileage.