4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Making my automatic up to par

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 11:30 AM
Levi2000GT
1st Gear Member

Default Making my automatic up to par

Got an automatic transmission on my 2000 GT, and I've been reading up on random car parts again to, y'know, learn ****. And I learned that the reason for the 3% drivetrain loss between manuals and automatics is in part because of the torque converters on the automatic transmissions. To sum it up, at higher speeds in an automatic transmission the turbine(engine side) of the torque converter will be spinning at the "engine speed" where the pump(transmission side) spins at a slightly less speed, ideally they should spinning at the same speed. However, some cars have torque converters with a lockup clutch. The way this works is by actually locking up the two halves of the torque converter when they get up to speed to eliminate slippage and power loss.

Does anyone know if the mustang automatic transmissions come with this kind of torque converter? And if no, can they be replaced without replacing the entire transmission?
Old 02-08-2006, 01:56 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Making my automatic up to par

Torque converters that don't lock are things of the past, I think.

Your torque converter does lock, and you will be able to tell if it is locked or not. If you are accelerating and your RPM is sitting at one point (2200 or so) and you're going faster, but your RPMs are staying still, then your converter is not locked, and once the RPMs and speed match, it should lock itself. Due to Ford's tuning, it will not lock while accelerating unless in fourth gear. (unless you're going WOT)

Again, if you give it some more gas (not enough to make it downshift) and the RPMs jump up some, and sit there, your torque converter is not locked. Where if you do the same in fourth where it IS locked, your RPMs will not jump up, but follow your MPH up.

It not being locked, kills gas mileage and doesn't allow the full power to get to the wheels compared to it being locked all the time, but the difference in the gear ratios for an automatic transmission are so large, that if the converter locked after every shift, it would have to be shifting around 2800+ RPM even when driven extremely lightly, which is bad for gas mileage too, and produces extra wear.

Yes, the torque converter can be replaced without replacing the transmission, but you do not need to replace yours, you have one that locks.

If you want to adjust the locking points, you will need to either get it re-tuned, or pay for the software and re-tune it yourself to adjust the locking points. SCT I think has a program that shows the line pressure and throttle pressure on a graph for the locking points for all four gears... looks easy enough to use, but you need to buy their hand held tuner and some extra software, and it will cost you less to just go get it tuned at a tuning shop for what you want.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Levi2000GT
1st Gear Member

I'm looking into getting a Diablosport Predator tuner, but is adjusting the locking points a good idea? Granted, I don't fully understand the full picture here, but what kinda gains can I get from tuning the locking points?
Old 02-08-2006, 03:29 PM
aking287
2nd Gear Member

I just put my Diablo on my automatic. Haven't dynoed it so I don't know gains, but it tightens up the transmission quite a bit. I went sideways when it shifted into second, haven't tried third yet. Torque converter is a good idea if you want to spend the $600. Aftermarket TC's multiply the torque that is coming through the transmission so your wheels see some more power.
Old 02-08-2006, 09:58 PM
Dark_Horse
3rd Gear Member

Old 02-08-2006, 09:58 PM
Dark_Horse
3rd Gear Member

just get a shift kit or tuner, stall converter and some gears and you will be smoking 5spds all day