4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Dissapointed in exhuast

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 10:20 PM
SVTCobra_98
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Dissapointed in exhuast

Well when i just the LM 1 catback on it sounded sick. And when I put the midpipe on it it was extremely loud but extremely rapsy. Then i put on the 2's and it sounds amazing from inside the car but like i said when i heard my mom drive it i was just a little dissapointed. And also it might just be because my mom is retarted when it comes to cars and she floored it in 5th gear going 60....
Old 02-12-2006, 10:28 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Haha yea... Well all o/r pipes are equipped with rasp over 4500 rpms, especially with hollow mufflers like the LM1's or race bullets.

But with chambered mufflers, you won't get any rasp at all. Ive heard magnaflows (which are chambered) with an o/r X and it sounds VERY good. Not loud enough for me, but it sounded great =) No rasp whatsoever.

But like I said, you lose A LOT of the loudness with chambered mufflers. And after my disappointing magnaflow set back... I don't want anything to sound that quiet again. Seriously, not joking, at points in time.. If I sat for a while, I would have to rev my engine to make sure my car was still on, because it was so quiet I thought I turned it off. Bah.. LM1's with full exhaust for me =) Im going to have one hell of a **** eatin grin on my face in 3 weeks when it all gets installed.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:39 PM
RedRoller
2nd Gear Member

I wouldnt consider the Magnaflows "chambered" they are actuallya straight thru tube surrounded by packing.Flowmasters or MACs are chambered and are actually quite loud with off road H.I also use to have offroad H and LM2s and hated the sound of it.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:41 PM
SVTCobra_98
2nd Gear Member

With those magnaflows and the o/r X was it the cobra or GT? Im thinking the cobras are a little louder, esp. once you replace an aftermarket o/r midpipe. IF I did go with a chambered muffler which one would you reccomend? I have heard the Flowmaster 10's are amazing if you can find them. And which cats would you reccomend if I got some?
Old 02-12-2006, 10:50 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

The car I heard it on was a GT.. May be a tad louder on a Cobra.

As far as cats, Hi-Flo Cats or nothing. All aftermarket mid-pipes that are catted come with hi-flows anyway.

And for a chambered muffler, I HATE, dispise flowmasters, thats just my opinion, but I am by far not the only one who thinks they sound horrible. GT owners who have had flowmasters said they are god aweful, and the droning disallowed them to even have a conversation with the person next to them. So I personally would never put flowmasters on my car.

With that being said, If not Loudmouths, I would definitely go with a Borla Stinger catback. Ive never heard anything bad about them, and I know a few people who have them on cobras and love them. So thats what I would do, even on my GT, if I wasn't going with the LM's.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:52 PM
RedRoller
2nd Gear Member

Id leave the cats off.Um iknow Summit racing and jegs both sell them they are the 1 chamber racing mufflers they are center inlet and center outlet.It took my litterally 10 different exhausts setups to find one i liked enough to stick with
Old 02-12-2006, 10:57 PM
SVTCobra_98
2nd Gear Member

Yea basically i just want the sound of my LM 1's when i just had the catback, but louder/deeper. The LM 1's are simply the best sounding catback, but once you add a o/r midpipe i am not a big fan of them. Have you heard the Flowmaster 10 series? I know all sorts of people who have the normal flows (40 series) and I am not impressed at all.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:01 PM
RedRoller
2nd Gear Member

Yeah.Had em with off road H.pretty loud but diddnt sound that great but sounded different.Yeah id say Borla Stinger also but they only for 99 and up[&o]
Old 02-12-2006, 11:01 PM
G2000T
1st Gear Member

im more than happy with my LMIIs and Prochamber o/r h pipe, sounds mean and not raspy, raspy u get from an x pipe
Old 02-12-2006, 11:07 PM
RedRoller
2nd Gear Member

Yeah i had a Prochamber too.Nice power but not loud enough

Quick Reply: Dissapointed in exhuast