4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Dissapointed in exhuast

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 06:31 PM
SVTCobra_98
2nd Gear Member

Default Dissapointed in exhuast

So I finally heard my exhuast while i was riding in another car (my mom was driving) and was very dissapointed. I told her to gun it a little and it sounded pretty bad, part of it was because she was in 5th gear goin 60 mph while flooring it. But anyways i have the LM 2's with the MAC O/R H-pipe. I had the LM 1's and i thought they were horrible once i put the h-pipe on. What can i do to get rid of the raspy/popping/sh*t sound?? What would adding cats do? Would i be better off adding a chambered muffler?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2006, 06:34 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Dissapointed in exhuast

Adding cats will eliminate the raspiness. The raspiness comes with the o/r pipes... Chambered mufflers will also do the trick, but you will lose the badass sound of the LM's and A LOT of the noise and loudness level. Im going with the LM1's with a catted X, to eliminate the rasp... But I would never go chambered again after my disappointing freakin magnaflows, they sound good at WOT, but thats it.. they are much to quiet for me.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:50 PM
SVTCobra_98
2nd Gear Member

What about the flowmaster 10 series?? Any more suggestions?
Old 02-09-2006, 03:17 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SVTCobra_98

What about the flowmaster 10 series?? Any more suggestions?
I have the Mac o/r H-pipe and Flowmaster 10 series, no raspiness here, just loud and deep. Actually gonna keep them instead of buying a catback.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:22 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Get rid of that MAC crap...

Use a catted midpipe with the SLP's to avoid any raspiness or popping. I get absolutely none of that, it sounds pure and smooth flowing.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:24 AM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

I believe that obnoxious popping noise is caused from unburned fuel igniting in your exhaust. Cats will eliminate this by filtering the exhaust of all the unburned fuel..
Old 02-12-2006, 09:43 PM
SVTCobra_98
2nd Gear Member

Im not going to get a new midpipe im either going to weld in cats or weld in a chambered muffler. Which will give my car a better deeper sound and without making it too much quiter?
Old 02-12-2006, 09:47 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Cats will get rid of the raspiness and popping like I said. You will lose some noise level, but like I said compaired to the Chambered mufflers its the best choice.

Chambered mufflers from LM1's... Will be such a significant lose of noise level, that if you like noise... You will be extremely disappointed if you weld in chambered mufflers.

Get the cats to reduce the "BAD" noise without losing too much noise level. If you go with chambered mufflers, you will be even more disappointed and end up wasting even more money because the noise level will reduce A LOT from the LM1 mufflers.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:08 PM
SVTCobra_98
2nd Gear Member

Yea, im just wondering if it will totally get rid of the raspiness with cats. Its sounds like the chambered mufflers will get rid of it but it will be a much more quiet tone. I guess i am willing to give up some noise level as long i am positive that it will get rid of the raspiness. BTW i have the LM'2 now not the 1's, and i heard the diff between the 1's and the 2's and it got rid of a lot of the raspiness, so hopefully the chambered mufflers will do the trick. I also have a cobra in which i have heard there is a big difference between the 4v and 2v motor for the exhuast sound. People who have GT's say that the LM'1 and the O/R H pipe sound amazing but i honestly couldnt bare driving my car with the 1's on.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:13 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Yea the LM's sound terrible on 4V (ie. Cobra) motors from what Ive heard from owners.

A lot of Cobra owners have Magnapacks though, which are similar muffler style to LM's, but not as loud as the LM's and they say they LOVE them. Just an idea for you.

I had no idea you have the LM2's on there... If your getting rasp with the LM2's then your in trouble. Cats + LM2's will 98% take away the rasp, but if you want to be positive for sure, you can go chambered. But Im just telling you... If you like the loudness of the LM style muffler, you are going to be groaning when you put a chambered muffler on there. Quiet as stock, if not quieter at idle, and, IMO, only really sounds "good" at WOT. (I have magnaflows now, so this isn't coming out of the blue).

Thats my .02

Quick Reply: Dissapointed in exhuast