4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What should I do to prepare for nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 07:51 PM
99_BLACK_GT
1st Gear Member

Default What should I do to prepare for nitrous?

I am strongly considering putting nitrous in my GT, but I dont know too much about it. I am wanting to see if anyone out there has any good pointers and/or advice. I would like to just supercharge the stang but right now I just cant afford it, so nitrous will have to do for now. Is there anything I should do internally so the car can handle the added power? I have a friend running a 200 shot and his car has been fine ( so far) but I am not sure what I should go with ( 100,125,150, or 200). Any answers will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:11 PM
ericdiver
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What should I do to prepare for nitrous?

ORIGINAL: 99_BLACK_GT

I am strongly considering putting nitrous in my GT, but I dont know too much about it. I am wanting to see if anyone out there has any good pointers and/or advice. I would like to just supercharge the stang but right now I just cant afford it, so nitrous will have to do for now. Is there anything I should do internally so the car can handle the added power? I have a friend running a 200 shot and his car has been fine ( so far) but I am not sure what I should go with ( 100,125,150, or 200). Any answers will be greatly appreciated.
200 shot, hummm I think youll find there more to that story.... i am running 100 shot and found out that i needed 24lb injectors, 1 step colder plugs, and a sct tune so i did not do any harm, if your going with 125-150 you will need 30lb injectors at least with a dry kit, otherwise a wet one will require a new fuel pump....or u can listen to people slowly destroying there motors and running 100-125 dry on stock motors...its a slow silent killer....sometimes its a loud one also....
Old 02-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

i think 30lbs injectors would be a little over kill.

just run a small wet kit you will be fine. start small until you get the feel for shifting and stuff i had a buddy that forgot what he was doing and hit the revlimiter with a 200 shot on his gt well lest say the intake and heads didn't like that.

also get some good plugs platnium plugs will melt with nitrous.

if youhave a hand held programer you mgiht want to back off the timing just a little.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:40 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99_BLACK_GT

I would not spray more than a 125 shot on a regular basis on a stock motor GT.

To be super safe a 100 shot and a good tune would be really good insurance
Old 02-09-2006, 12:53 PM
ericdiver
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tim37

just run a small wet kit you will be fine. start small until you get the feel for shifting and stuff i had a buddy that forgot what he was doing and hit the revlimiter with a 200 shot on his gt well lest say the intake and heads didn't like that.

if youhave a hand held programer you mgiht want to back off the timing just a little.
you know i used to this 30lb where over kill also, untill I got a air fuel gauge, my car with 75 shot ran in middle, I upped it to 100 and it started to dip alittle, now i dont know what a little means to the motor, but I know my stock injectors where running out, fuel pressure was fine(40psi or so) so i know it was not that, I then add 24lb injectors and it stays in the middle again, so i would guess anything over 100 shot u would need 30lb, your car will be making around 400hp with a dry shot, and a supercharged car runs 30lb.....there is a great calculator someone on this forum for fuel injectors and it says u never want to run more than 80 duty cycle and your maxing it out with 19lb....like I said it will work with 19lb but I dont know what alittle lean will do 2 my car over time, maybe nothing, but i dont want to find out later, so i rather play it safe......
Old 02-09-2006, 07:44 PM
99_BLACK_GT
1st Gear Member

My car is an auto so how much of a difference does this make? What all would I have to do to my engine to handle a 200 HP shot? My friend Eric is currently shooting a 250 HP wet shot and is planning on spraying more but it is in a modified 91 GT. He has taken out LS1's,vettes, vipers, evo VIII's, and just about anything else he has ran into. he figures he was pushing like 330 at the wheels without the nitrous, thats insane HP with the spray! I probably have close to 250 RWHP or so with my current set up, but I would like to get around 400 without blowing my engine. Another friend of mine shot a 200 shot in his stock GT and the next day they were removing parts of his pistons from the oil pan! I dont want to run into these problems, but I still want a mean and fast stang! To handle 200 so far I understand I will need new spark plugs, a larger MAF sensor and 30lb fuel injectors. Anything else?
Old 02-09-2006, 08:20 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

You can run a 200 shot on a stock GT with new plugs, MAF and new injectors. However, you will only run that 200 shot ONCE. There is NO WAY a stock internal 99-04 GT will take a 200 shot, PERIOD.
Old 02-09-2006, 08:23 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: ericdiver

ORIGINAL: Tim37

you know i used to this 30lb where over kill also, untill I got a air fuel gauge, my car with 75 shot ran in middle, I upped it to 100 and it started to dip alittle, now i dont know what a little means to the motor, but I know my stock injectors where running out, fuel pressure was fine(40psi or so) so i know it was not that, I then add 24lb injectors and it stays in the middle again, so i would guess anything over 100 shot u would need 30lb, your car will be making around 400hp with a dry shot, and a supercharged car runs 30lb.....there is a great calculator someone on this forum for fuel injectors and it says u never want to run more than 80 duty cycle and your maxing it out with 19lb....like I said it will work with 19lb but I dont know what alittle lean will do 2 my car over time, maybe nothing, but i dont want to find out later, so i rather play it safe......
Unless you are running a wideband A/F, they are nothing more than light show.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:57 PM
XxphantomsnypzxX
3rd Gear Member

is there anything else that can go wrong with a 100 shot?
Old 02-09-2006, 10:31 PM
99REDGT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: XxphantomsnypzxX

is there anything else that can go wrong with a 100 shot?
Yes, but it includes shutting the garage door and opening the bottle [8D]

Quick Reply: What should I do to prepare for nitrous?