4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Good Gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 05:14 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Default Good Gaskets?

Hey guys...

Going with the BBK LT Headers in about a week, and before I place my order, I know a lot of you said to get aftermarket gaskets.
Well I heard Percy's are good? Any other suggestions on what brand I should get? And what size do I need, because Ive seen like 1.625 and 2.25 or something like that... What size for my 2000 GT Vert?

Any other header recommendations are appreciated...

-Mike
Old 02-10-2006, 05:15 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Default RE: Good Gaskets?

Percy's, no question.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:19 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Ok cool.. and thats really the only thing I have to worry about with the headers right? Just the gaskets so they don't leak...

And Code what type... Because I know Percy's has like regulars, dead soft... I don't know the difference? What should I chose?
Old 02-10-2006, 05:27 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: meebix

Ok cool.. and thats really the only thing I have to worry about with the headers right? Just the gaskets so they don't leak...

And Code what type... Because I know Percy's has like regulars, dead soft... I don't know the difference? What should I chose?
I can't remember which Percy's I have. My wife called and ordered the from Jeg's. Call Jeg's and talk to them, she said they were very helpful and I have had no problems with these gaskets. I fought header leaks in the beginning, because I couldn't get 2 of the header bolts tight on the passenger side, the gaskets held up and once I FINALLY got the bolts tight and lockes on the bolt, no leaks.

I also recommend Stage 8 locking header bolts.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:33 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Ok that sounds great.

One last thing code... I want your opinion =)

I have been hearing contidicting things between forums. I know everyone on here LOVES their BBK Headers and mid-pipes, but I have heard others say their quality is bad. But then again I have heard others say BBK looks good for year after year and no one has any problems with them. Now Im just going for sound, so I didn't want to spend $1800 on SLP products, but you think BBK is a good idea?

I just want to reassure myself, because I have ZERO room for error, lol, and Im ordering Monday.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:42 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Ok that sounds great.

One last thing code... I want your opinion =)

I have been hearing contidicting things between forums. I know everyone on here LOVES their BBK Headers and mid-pipes, but I have heard others say their quality is bad. But then again I have heard others say BBK looks good for year after year and no one has any problems with them. Now Im just going for sound, so I didn't want to spend $1800 on SLP products, but you think BBK is a good idea?

I just want to reassure myself, because I have ZERO room for error, lol, and Im ordering Monday.

You will hear good and bad about most companies. I have MAC's and I heard horror stories about quality and fitment, but I got a good deal, so I got MAC's. I know a couple people that have BBK's and they are quite happy with them. I have had 2 different BBK x-pipes (1 catted and 1 O/R) and the quality and fit was excellent.

As far as SLP, I REFUSE to spend the $$ they want for their products. I have a bud that has SLP, but he is sponsored by SLP and gets them for free.

The only problem I had with my MAC's was the header bolt holes needed a little dremel work for perfect alignment. Hope this helps.
Old 02-10-2006, 05:53 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

Helps a lot. Same with me, I have learned a lot from talking to you and reading your posts here, and I DO NOT want to spend the money for overpriced products when I can get the same results from other companies. You have been a great helper for me =)

And I hate to do this, but I promise one last question code =)

I am trying to gage exactly what I want. Like I said I cant screw up, lol. You said you have had an o/r X and the catted X. Im going with BBK LT's and the LM1's. Now.. I want LOUD, I want people to hear me coming from a ways away... When Im riding I want people to turn and stare... Unlike my magnaflows now, where no1 even turns around. They like the car, they just can't hear it =). I want it to be like the old style cars, how the ROAR when they get on it and rumble.

The only thing that turned me off from the o/r X was the rasp at revs and people said its raspy in general at points in time. But I don't want to go catted and be completely disappointed again. But I want it to sound "good"... thats what this is about. What would you suggest for me? =/
I need to figure this out, its frustrating me, lol.

Thanks a bunch code!
Old 02-10-2006, 06:04 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

Helps a lot. Same with me, I have learned a lot from talking to you and reading your posts here, and I DO NOT want to spend the money for overpriced products when I can get the same results from other companies. You have been a great helper for me =)

And I hate to do this, but I promise one last question code =)

I am trying to gage exactly what I want. Like I said I cant screw up, lol. You said you have had an o/r X and the catted X. Im going with BBK LT's and the LM1's. Now.. I want LOUD, I want people to hear me coming from a ways away... When Im riding I want people to turn and stare... Unlike my magnaflows now, where no1 even turns around. They like the car, they just can't hear it =). I want it to be like the old style cars, how the ROAR when they get on it and rumble.

The only thing that turned me off from the o/r X was the rasp at revs and people said its raspy in general at points in time. But I don't want to go catted and be completely disappointed again. But I want it to sound "good"... thats what this is about. What would you suggest for me? =/
I need to figure this out, its frustrating me, lol.

Thanks a bunch code!
No problem man, I try to help where I can. My car is loud but has such a nice sound. I get many compliments on it. From an idle and low rpms, you can hear it from quite a ways off. At WOT, forget about it. To give you an idea...at a stop light, I drown out Powerstroke Diesels...LOL

The BBK O/R X-pipe is very raspy. The VRS has a lillte rasp but no popping on deceleration. I use Dynomax Race Bullet mufflers. They are similar to SLP LM's as they are not a chambered muffler. I really like the sound and they are very inexpensive.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:39 PM
meebix
4th Gear Member

So you would go catted BBK in other words? Or are you recommending VRS o/r? What should I do based on what I explained above for what I want as far as loudness.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:42 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

So you would go catted BBK in other words? Or are you recommending VRS o/r? What should I do based on what I explained above for what I want as far as loudness.

I am an O/R guy all the way. The catted x will definitely mute the sound.

Quick Reply: Good Gaskets?