4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Midpipe Install?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 06:48 AM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

Default Midpipe Install?

So unlike when I installed my catback, I am gonna not be a biotch and install the midpipe myself. I didnt do the catback myself because I didnt have/want to buy jackstands or whatever I would need to get the car off the ground. So, what do I need to get the car off the ground enough to comfortably be able to install this thing (I'm a pretty big guy)? Will normal jackstands give me enough room to be able to do this? If anybody could walk me through this and give me a list of the things I will need, it would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!
Old 02-11-2006, 07:16 AM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Midpipe Install?

I installed mine by using a set of ramps. It gave me plenty of clearance to do the dirty work.

There really isn't any tricks to getting it done. Jack it up or put it on ramps. Disconnect the front/rear sensors, unbolt rear flanges, unbolt front flanges from headers, lower from car.

The only issues I ran into was trying to unbolt the header flanges. I couldn't get my hand up in the drivers side very easy. Plus finding the connectors to unplug the sensors was a pain in the ***, till I found the exact location of them. Again, the drivers side was a pain in the *** to disconnect.

Other than that, easy as hell.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:18 AM
Dave2000GT
2nd Gear Member

Pneumatics...... it works wonders and made the job dead easy... 2 hours first try. WIthout it I don't know if I'd want to attempt it.. who knows though..
Old 02-11-2006, 07:50 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

You think I should just get some ramps instead of jack stands?
Old 02-11-2006, 07:54 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

I only ran into one problem, I believe it's on the passenger side exhaust manifold. There is a crush sleeve and it was a bitch to keep it lined up. I put mine one twice and had a bad leak. Finally, I used scotch tape to attach it to the mid-pipe. Just a little help, I know it drove me crazy.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:57 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

pretty easy i would use jack stands to give you a little more working room. i did my headers and x pipe on jack stands.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Lucidus
1st Gear Member

With jackstands, air tools, and a torch, it shouldn't be a tough job at all. I would suggest useing a torch to heat up the manifold studs, I did not when I did my 96 and I snapped one. It can be done without air tools as well, but that just adds to the work.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:42 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

So I should just spend the 100 bucks and have the shop install it?
Old 02-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Lucidus
1st Gear Member

Depends how much **** you are willing to put up with. Like I said, if you have a set of air tools and a torch you should be able to do it by yourself. I tend to make it a rule to not let shops touch my car(bad experiences). So I will try to do everything I possibly can by myself.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:47 PM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

depends. find out how much the tools to do it yourself will cost. Also, do you plan to do any other work yourself? If so, investing in tools would be a good idea.

George

Quick Reply: Midpipe Install?