4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Quad shocks...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

Default Quad shocks...

Are they necessary? I have Granatelli Motorsport upper and lower CA's and I hear that with CA's the quad shocks are no longer necessary. I was looking at my new 275 BFG DR's, and I don't think they will fit in the fenderwell with the quad shocks inplace. The question here is, is it okay/safe to remove the quadshocks, and how if at all will it affect my cars driveability. I noticed while reading in MM&FF that when they tested the new GT in "stock" form, they removed the quad shocks & front sway bar, so I'm assuming it is safe, but I don't know how it will affect my cars daily driving characteritics if at all. Thanks guys!

Old 02-12-2006, 04:49 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Quad shocks...

ORIGINAL: Emann0007

Are they necessary? I have Granatelli Motorsport upper and lower CA's and I hear that with CA's the quad shocks are no longer necessary. I was looking at my new 275 BFG DR's, and I don't think they will fit in the fenderwell with the quad shocks inplace. The question here is, is it okay/safe to remove the quadshocks, and how if at all will it affect my cars driveability. I noticed while reading in MM&FF that when they tested the new GT in "stock" form, they removed the quad shocks & front sway bar, so I'm assuming it is safe, but I don't know how it will affect my cars daily driving characteritics if at all. Thanks guys!

With aftermarket lower control arms you will be okay.. It will still fit even with the 275's in there. I removed mine because they were rubbing one of my 315's under hard brakeing and right turns.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:26 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

thanks. Will the car feel any different?
Old 02-12-2006, 08:04 PM
JonBeast

Granatelli recommends removing the quad shocks after installing the CAs for optimum traction.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:23 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

thanks. Will the car feel any different?
Your car will not feel any different because you have aftermarket control arms on it.. They were just used with the OE stuff.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:14 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

I asked Code3gt the same question a few weeks ago. He said that he ran 315s with quads on. He also has the Granatelli CAs. They only reduce some vibration. You don't need them, per se.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:16 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

I still have mine on.....just been too lazy to take them off
Old 02-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Quickshift_02GT
4th Gear Member

Does removing the quad shocks for Granatelli CA's have the same affects as the Maximum Motorsport CA's. In other words, are they still not needed?

Also, what are your opinions on the quality of the Granatelli CA's compared to Maximum Motorsports? There is a HUGE price difference. I was planning on the MM versions.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:30 PM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: Quickshift_02GT

Does removing the quad shocks for Granatelli CA's have the same affects as the Maximum Motorsport CA's. In other words, are they still not needed?

Also, what are your opinions on the quality of the Granatelli CA's compared to Maximum Motorsports? There is a HUGE price difference. I was planning on the MM versions.

MM make GREAT STUFF. I have had no complaints with the GMS's. MM's use spherical bushings. My opinion is GMS' will work well on most applications. The MM's will probably be better suited for BIG HP applications.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:31 PM
gt96stang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Quickshift_02GT

I think with any aftermarket lower control arms, you can remove the quad shocks.

Quick Reply: Quad shocks...