MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   I am exhausted comparing exhausts! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/95826-i-am-exhausted-comparing-exhausts.html)

phattystylez 02-13-2006 06:11 AM

I am exhausted comparing exhausts!

my 1st stang was a 5spd v-sixer which although i will never own one again it definately sparked my love for stangs. i went 3 months in that thing before deciding to do exhausts. Although the dual flowmasters brought a decent sound, i am now on my 2nd stang (an `02 GT 5spd) and want to go all out with opening up its true power.

Sadly, i have owned it 1yr and have not touched anything performance-wise on it besides the air silencer removal and a K&N filter.

I believe the stock piping is 2 1/4", and was wondering how big that pipe can be increased to.
I plan on starting with the headers, hi-flow x pipe and muffs (all the way back, no side exhausts pls)

Any recommendations on the piping/headers?
I am thinking of going Bassani but have not been able to hear a lot of sound clips or get a lot of in-depth feedback on them, despite people saying they are THE BEST.
PLEASE HELP & RESPOND W/ PIPING RECOMMENDATIONS!

MustangMafia 02-13-2006 06:18 AM

RE: I am exhausted comparing exhausts!

I would suggest starting with a catback. The aftermarket piping will be 2 1/2 inch. And I wouldnt suggest basing your decision on sound clips, they never do the exhaust justice....

phattystylez 02-13-2006 06:33 AM

ORIGINAL: MustangMafia

I would suggest starting with a catback. The aftermarket piping will be 2 1/2 inch. And I wouldnt suggest basing your decision on sound clips, they never do the exhaust justice....
ok so the aftermarket system is going to be 2.5"...any issues with longtube headers w/ xpipe & hi-flo cats to go w/ the catback exhaust?

i am assuming this is going to be the best route to go performance and sound wise

MustangMafia 02-13-2006 06:48 AM

Longtube header require a shorter midpipe. Are you going to do the longtubes after the midpipe? If so I suggest a modular midpipe like one from bassani or SLP.

IownaMustangNow 02-13-2006 12:28 PM

ooo goddd here we go again with the exhaust thread...there was like a 5 pager 2 weeks ago... run a search for it man... ull find what yur looking for

Wick001 02-13-2006 12:36 PM

Get Magnaflow Magnapacks, Mac Prochamber, Headers

headers, IMO you dont really need, just do your cat-back & mid pipe, they are a pain in the ass

Tim37 02-13-2006 12:42 PM

i have headers o/r, x pipe, super 40 flows dumped under hte car with no turn downs. sounds good and is loud.

ZW99GT 02-13-2006 04:02 PM

All of that crap yall mentioned is inferior to Bassani. Get um phatty and tell us how great they are.

meebix 02-13-2006 05:38 PM

If you want a full exhaust you will need Long Tube Headers, Short Mid-pipe, and a catback.
If you are doing it for performance and/or sound, you want to go with this setup. Don't waste your money with shorty, mid-length, or any other of those types of headers, and make sure you go CERAMIC coated with the headers.

Aftermarket standard piping is 2.5'. I know they make a 3' pipe as well, but unless your putting some SERIOUS rwhp numbers down, your engine doesn't need to breathe THAT good... In fact with that big of a pipe, with little HP, you will probably lose pressure and HP all together.

For the exhaust setup. To give you an idea, Im am ordering my exhaust very soon, and my setup with be:
BBK LT Coated Headers + VRS o/r X-pipe + SLP Loudmouth 1's. (As far as the sound: It will hurt your ears at idle, and rattle your doors at WOT.)

IMO, SLP Loudmouth's are easily the best sounding exhaust systems on the market. IF I HAD to pick another, I would say Borla Stingers.
Loudmouths are also the loudest aftermarket exhaust system made as well... So if you don't want loud, then go with something else.

As far as the sound clips... LISTEN TO THEM! They will NOT give you a completely accurate sound, but they give you an 70-80% of the sound to at least give you an IDEA of what you might want. It will always sound a little different on your car and in person though. Talk to people who have the exhaust you want, and listen to clips.

Hope this helps.

72MachOne99GT 02-13-2006 06:43 PM

pretty much what most of the others ahve said in here,
brand is all user specific,, most people will recommend what they have, or have had before, unless they were displeased with some aspect of it

IF you really feel that you'll want every amount of power possible to the ground, then you'll definately want LT Headers, but if not, consider opting to go just midpipe and catback

headers cost anywhere from 300-700 depending on brand i believe, and install is again. lol
about 400-600

as far as midpipes, you seem to want a catted x
i think bassani, and slp probably make the best of these two bbk is another respectable brand, i have MAC H pipe on my car, but it sees NO salt or snow

as for the catback,, thats where the debate gets ripped wide open
Borla, Bassani, and SLP seem to have the highest user satisfaction from what ive heard for the most part [8D]

not knocking magnaflow, flowmaster or any others,
anything you choose is gonna sound excellent to you and will likely satisfy your need :)
good luck