Header Job SUCKS! - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Header Job SUCKS!

Old 02-13-2006, 10:13 PM
HaV
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Header Job SUCKS!

Lmao, I asked a friend if He would help me when I get around to buying a set of LT's.. his response "Only if the engine is already out of the car when I get there"

Shops are sooooo outrageous for the labor on headders for theses cars as well.. its just nuts what they want to charge.. they dont even look at the book in terms of hours, they just tell you up front you need to sign your first born and your soul over.
Old 02-13-2006, 10:25 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 70 MACH I

I'm installing Headers on my '04 GT, the worst part of the job it seems, was removing the starter. If those bolt heads ever strip, I can see you'd definitely be F**ked! Other than that, the right side is worse than the left, you have to jack the engine to remove the bolts. I ordered carbon fiber sandwiched header gaskets from JEGS, and plan on purchasing a new set of manifold nuts from Ford, I'm going to stay with the stud setup, I like ford's morlok style anti-loosen nut. I do not want to go in there again for an exhaust leak. If anyone has experience with this job, or materials, give a shout. I was amazed at how small the factory manifolds are, nicely designed manifold, but tiny passages.
John
+1

Don't ya wish it was as easy as your 70?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:03 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Ok, if you lower the K member, how can you be sure the K member is aligned properly with the chassis when you reinstall it? That, to me would create a huge disaster, meaning the front end being out of alignment with the rear. Besides, the most difficult bolts to get out are the top ones on the manifold, especially the right side, the left side has more room and actually isn't that bad to do. I spent the most time removing the starter and removing the RS manifold.
John
John has a good question there. I was looking at installing a tubular K-member, but this scares me a little. Is aligning the tracking a huge issue with the K-members? I think i read that you measure from the rear axle to get the spacing right front to rear, but what of the left and right (centering)? Anyone know?
Old 02-14-2006, 12:42 AM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGT

Ok, if you lower the K member, how can you be sure the K member is aligned properly with the chassis when you reinstall it? That, to me would create a huge disaster, meaning the front end being out of alignment with the rear. Besides, the most difficult bolts to get out are the top ones on the manifold, especially the right side, the left side has more room and actually isn't that bad to do. I spent the most time removing the starter and removing the RS manifold.
John
John has a good question there. I was looking at installing a tubular K-member, but this scares me a little. Is aligning the tracking a huge issue with the K-members? I think i read that you measure from the rear axle to get the spacing right front to rear, but what of the left and right (centering)? Anyone know?

It's no big deal... theres 8 bolts for the K-member; it cant be terribly off if all 8 bolts are connected properly. It is recommended that your front steering aligned at a shop after you're done. I was expecting to need it and it was going to pull... however it hasnt at all so i've been putting off the steering aligment. I still should probably get it done though.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:47 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Thanks, I feel better now. Good info.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:18 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: czwalga00gt

ORIGINAL: 04BlueGT

John

It's no big deal... theres 8 bolts for the K-member; it cant be terribly off if all 8 bolts are connected properly. It is recommended that your front steering aligned at a shop after you're done. I was expecting to need it and it was going to pull... however it hasnt at all so i've been putting off the steering aligment. I still should probably get it done though.
The techs said I didn't have to have an alignment but I sent it over to the machine anyway.It came out that they were right,there are alignment notches and you can remove the K-member without making a mess out of your front end.If i had known this I would have done the work myself.[:@]
Old 02-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

Chuckle, OK I guess I've done good. 4.5 hours and everything is on the floor. I'm waiting for parts before I re-install. And I will use TONS of anti-seize on everything to be sure.

John
thats about right for tearing the car down. i think a lot of poeple get discouraged when you can slap a set of headers on a 5.0 in a few hours and it takes a entire day for a 4.6
Old 02-14-2006, 02:13 PM
70 MACH I
3rd Gear Member

Ha, Ha, The long tube headers on the 351C in my mach are cake, 30 minutes. The windsor 351, even easier, The 428, good training for a 4.6, they sucked too. Back in the 70's we did one, Three of us, 48 beers and a saturday afternoon.
John
Old 02-14-2006, 02:23 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

You are going to have to tighten those header bolts again anyways.

After a couple heat cycles they will loosen up. Even the lock washers will allow them to back up a touch.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:40 PM
boss281
3rd Gear Member

i got my LTs Hpipe and catback installed at a speedshop for $388, but my steering column seems to be rubbing against something im thinking the headers, is this common or does anyone know how to fix it?