MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Header Job SUCKS! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/95839-header-job-sucks.html)

70 MACH I 02-13-2006 10:43 AM

Header Job SUCKS!

I'm installing Headers on my '04 GT, the worst part of the job it seems, was removing the starter. If those bolt heads ever strip, I can see you'd definitely be F**ked! Other than that, the right side is worse than the left, you have to jack the engine to remove the bolts. I ordered carbon fiber sandwiched header gaskets from JEGS, and plan on purchasing a new set of manifold nuts from Ford, I'm going to stay with the stud setup, I like ford's morlok style anti-loosen nut. I do not want to go in there again for an exhaust leak. If anyone has experience with this job, or materials, give a shout. I was amazed at how small the factory manifolds are, nicely designed manifold, but tiny passages.
John

Chopper 02-13-2006 11:28 AM

RE: Header Job SUCKS!

I gave up on the job after setting myself on fire with a torch.Well not the torch itself but the red hot bolt remains that was coming off the old h-pipe.[:@]
Removing the K-member is the best way to do this job.You will need a way to hold the motor up when the K-member is removed though.I ended up having the car towed to the Ford garage and they had the job done that afternoon for $620.There were four guys under the car when I got there to pick it up so I figure since I didn't get aggravated and bust something it was worth it.

czwalga00gt 02-13-2006 11:34 AM

Remove the K-member and just support the motor with a floor jack with a 1x4 piece of wood.

70 MACH I 02-13-2006 11:34 AM

Chuckle, OK I guess I've done good. 4.5 hours and everything is on the floor. I'm waiting for parts before I re-install. And I will use TONS of anti-seize on everything to be sure.

John

70 MACH I 02-13-2006 11:50 AM

Ok, if you lower the K member, how can you be sure the K member is aligned properly with the chassis when you reinstall it? That, to me would create a huge disaster, meaning the front end being out of alignment with the rear. Besides, the most difficult bolts to get out are the top ones on the manifold, especially the right side, the left side has more room and actually isn't that bad to do. I spent the most time removing the starter and removing the RS manifold.
John

yoteehunter 02-13-2006 02:22 PM

I thought the starter was the worst part for me. That design on the mounting was F-ing stupid. But so was sticking a 280 something cubic inch motor that is 1 inch wider than a 427 ford in that engine bay. LOL To get those top bolts I bent an inwrench in two places to get around the valve cover for those bolts, then used a small pipe and put it over the wrench for a cheater bar (those biotches aint comin loose). I didnt have to drop the k member and the install took about 1 day, but that was with pulling the tranny to put in a new clutch. once your done you'l feel better.

LvGordo 02-13-2006 02:29 PM

ugh, i have waited on ordering my headers b/c of stories like this. "towed to a ford garage", that gave me shivers down me spine. I have always said, teh bozos that design cars seem like they never had to work on them.

yoteehunter 02-13-2006 02:56 PM

Dont be afraid of them. Its not that its hard to do. Its that it takes alot more time than it should for this type of install. Some people get to impatient and make mistakes wich leads to problems, and also in any auto part fashion the product may not fit properly, but this is kind of rare. My headers are in an I never regret doing the install.

rbstang 02-13-2006 07:57 PM

headers are one of the most time consuming "bolt on" mods.

tcuallstar 02-13-2006 08:01 PM

ORIGINAL: rbstang

headers are one of the most time consuming "bolt on" mods.
^^+100