4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Which cheaper in long run? building up 2000GT or getting a 03 Cobra?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 05:54 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Which cheaper in long run? building up 2000GT or getting a 03 Cobra?

ORIGINAL: 00ModGT

Say for example i pay for the sq trim, clutch, elec guages, labor and all for 8lbs of boost and possibly be in the high 11s (which i would be happy with for awhile) and not have a car payment b/c i spent the $5k on this buildup and the car is less then 1k to pay off. Or u think to sell and put 10k down( from the GT) on a 03 cobra and have another 15k of car payments for 5 years?? and slowly add mods to it? i wouldnt mind the car payments if i know its gonna be cheaper in the long run. But i have susposidly heard with a good tuner and without a intercooler u can run pretty good on a 2valve engine for a while b4 it gives up. And either way cars loose value, figure the 03 when they were new cost 33k-38k (dont know for sure) and now 3 years later they sell for 22k - 26k. I understand your point but either way they will depritiate. The Cobra just might do so at a slower rate. thanks for your input.
I don't think you will be in the elevens with that setup, maybe low 12's but I don't think it would break 11's. Also, I got offered 12,500 trade-in on my mustang and it has slightly higher miles then yours. And if you have five grand for the setup you are talking about that would put you in a position to really hunt for a Cobra for 22-24k, have a 250/month payment for three years, and use the 5 grand to put the Cobra in low 11's, high 10's, or lower the payment.
You are forgetting that the tranny, and clutch will never withstand that kind of abuse, where-as the Cobra tranny is rated for 800HP!! Who the hell is gonna fry that thing?
Old 02-14-2006, 05:56 PM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Which cheaper in long run? building up 2000GT or getting a 03 Cobra?

Cobra, Cobra, Cobra........I guess I would go with the Cobra if I wanted a whole new set of payments. I have seemed to become a fan of swapping engines lately so I would just swap out the engine and tranny and stuff for a 4V, sell the 2V engine and tranny and make some of the money back. No, you will not get a lot back but how many can actually say they've actually transformed their car into a new beast. Be adventurous!!!

Now if you long pockets and no patience like some of the cats on this forum, then just go for the cobra.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:04 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bluepony4.6

Cobra, Cobra, Cobra........I guess I would go with the Cobra if I wanted a whole new set of payments. I have seemed to become a fan of swapping engines lately so I would just swap out the engine and tranny and stuff for a 4V, sell the 2V engine and tranny and make some of the money back. No, you will not get a lot back but how many can actually say they've actually transformed their car into a new beast. Be adventurous!!!

Now if you long pockets and no patience like some of the cats on this forum, then just go for the cobra.

Can I ask how much it cost you to put the little ol' 4.6 into your car? There are alot of differences between Cobra's and Mustangs that alot of people don't realize. Better fuel and oil pumps, better brakes, stronger tranny, forged internals, and many more, besides the obvious 4valve and Eaton S/C. In other words Cobras are built to be 400hp cars that can handle 600+hp, and GT's are built to be 260hp cars that can handle 450hp, for awhile. Cobra is cheaper in the LONG RUN.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:50 AM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

I've spent around $4900.00 for my swap (still need a 8.8 rear). This includes (2) 4.6 liter engines w/all accesories, 4R70W tranny, all necessary wiring, computer, radiator, Ford Racing "C" Springs, Tokico Shocks and Struts, radiator fan, ABS module, Autometer Lunar Gauge Cluster ($100 on ebay), driveshaft, Steeda Fuel Pump, hoses, hydroboost w/lines, underdrive pulleys w/SFI approved harmonic balancer, CAI, Dyno performance tune w/PATS bypass, x pipe, pypes catback, swaybars, GT Seats, GT hood, the list goes on and on. I'm a smart shopper that waits like a vulture for the right deal and then....gotcha!

Yeah, buying the Cobra would save you alot of time trying to swap out engines. But if you do enough research it's not as tough as people think. I just took my time. If I had enough money in the beginning I would have bought an 01 cobra engine and tranny. I didn't have enough patience to wait for one to enter my price range. I was ready to get the V6 out of my car. I heard all of the critics that said "why don't you just buy a GT?" Well, my car is almost complete except for the rear end, runs perfectly, and no one knows the difference between mine and a GT. However, VIN numbers don't lie and even if I could, I'd never misbadge my car. It's a ford mustang 4.6 liter.
Old 02-15-2006, 03:17 AM
Stang9946
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 00ModGT

I am at the point where im bout to add a vortech sq -trim to my 2000 Ford mustang GT but with the $5000 sticker for installation parts, clutch, and guages to match. I have already invested like $3000 in the 2000 GT car with bassani x with cats, flowmaster catback, bbk cold air, k&n intake, SCT 4bank chip tune, 3.73 gears, shift light, powerslot rotors, UPR shorttthrow shifter, and a few cosmetic peices. I know that if i add a vortech i can only boost a max of 8-10lbs with the stock internals and i also have the t-45 trans, so im just counting the days till destruction. But here goes- i noticed that 2003 Cobras are selling for $22,000-26,000 and they usually have a few bolt-ons or very low miles. The 2000Gt is almost payed off and it has 40,000 miles on it, im not sure how much i could sell it for, maybe around $10k. My final goal is to have a solid 11 second street car, and i stress the street part of that, like being driven anywhere with no problems. What im thinking though is if i add the sq-trim to the GT, then my rear will fail, then my trans and if i try to get any more boost out of the car the motor will fail. So should i build up the GT or splurge the $ for now and start with a better platform like the 4v supercharged Cobra?? With the mods i have to the Gt now with BF Goodrich KDWS tires is a best of 13.4 @105mph without powershifting. Either way the car is NOT a daily driver and would only be driven on nice days. And the body must be a coupe. Let me here some feedback
Summit has a kit that's about $2,429 that will get you 575hp guaranteed for an 03-04 Cobra.

SLE-M31050

or

SLE-M31051
Old 02-15-2006, 03:29 AM
bigedog8
3rd Gear Member

I would have to say, stay with your car....too much invested to have car payments.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:01 PM
bluepony4.6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bigedog8

I would have to say, stay with your car....too much invested to have car payments.
Amen to that brotha! Pay it off and take what you have to a new level by upgrading.
Old 02-15-2006, 02:56 PM
00ModGT
2nd Gear Member

Anyone posting comments or reading comments have a 99+ 2 valve car with any type of blower on it, i would be curious to know your cost of build, things to watch for, things u would of done different, and what parts worked the most efficiently??
Old 02-15-2006, 10:12 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

2v or 4v....hmmm

Forged 4v.

It's a no brainer.
One thing to think about, that I did:

A blown stock bottom end bolton GT is faster than a stock blower pully/chipped/exhaust cobra.

Your gonna need to steup to a aftermarket blower ot run with a blown GT. That cobra is one big heavy pig.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:13 PM
mysticsvtcobra96
2nd Gear Member

200gt4.6..id have a dissagree with you on that one...my friend has a 2001 gt 5sp with a vortech installed by power by ford in orlando and he dosent come close to touching me..from a dig..going down the road..wherever..i pull on him everytime

Quick Reply: Which cheaper in long run? building up 2000GT or getting a 03 Cobra?