4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

remote start

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 05:27 PM
stangman2354
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: remote start

Theres a audio shop by my house where you buy the remot starter that has an alarm function plus they install it for about 200 bucks but they don't do the alarm part unless you pay more. So I wouldn't think it would cost too much for the install?
Old 02-15-2006, 05:42 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Car_Ramrod

emann...i remember seeing you live in central FL. i live like an hour south of Tampa. my friend works at Best Buy and he might be able to get a deal...if you are really serious i could try to arrange something if you were willing to travel. its like 2 1/2 hours away from O-town. just a thought to try and save a fellow Mustang owner some money.

but i went to a smaller shop and got my alarm. its an excalibur...which is pretty much an identical alarm to a viper or one of those...but the customer service is supposedly a lot better. my guy HATES dealing with viper. he charged my $250 for the thing, installed and ready to go. no remote start tho. it does have empty channels that if i paid more money could use them to roll the windows down and stuff. you just need to buy the module which is like an extra $100 or $150.
I'm not really interested in a new alarm, I was just pondering how much a remote start would cost, unit+installation. So circut city sells and installs them? I didn't know they did car installations. I don't even know of a CCity around here
Old 02-15-2006, 05:47 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Emann0007

ORIGINAL: Car_Ramrod

emann...i remember seeing you live in central FL. i live like an hour south of Tampa. my friend works at Best Buy and he might be able to get a deal...if you are really serious i could try to arrange something if you were willing to travel. its like 2 1/2 hours away from O-town. just a thought to try and save a fellow Mustang owner some money.

but i went to a smaller shop and got my alarm. its an excalibur...which is pretty much an identical alarm to a viper or one of those...but the customer service is supposedly a lot better. my guy HATES dealing with viper. he charged my $250 for the thing, installed and ready to go. no remote start tho. it does have empty channels that if i paid more money could use them to roll the windows down and stuff. you just need to buy the module which is like an extra $100 or $150.
I'm not really interested in a new alarm, I was just pondering how much a remote start would cost, unit+installation. So circut city sells and installs them? I didn't know they did car installations. I don't even know of a CCity around here
We have a Best Buy's for every McDonalds, but I don't know where a Circuit City is.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:20 PM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

my friend just bought one for 250 and said it was relly advanced in all the stuff you could do. He said the install will also be 250 b/c he wants all the features like pop the trunk remote start, roll down windows and a bunch of other crap. Hes getting it installed at fry's electronics
Old 02-15-2006, 06:24 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: antiv6

my friend just bought one for 250 and said it was relly advanced in all the stuff you could do. He said the install will also be 250 b/c he wants all the features like pop the trunk remote start, roll down windows and a bunch of other crap. Hes getting it installed at fry's electronics

I don't care much for the rolling down the windows, but now that I think about it, if it could put the top down, that would be awesome. Too bad you have to manually release the top clamps and set the e-brake to do it[:@] I might swing by bestbuy and see how much the unit+install runs. Remote start with my Magnaflows would be cool.

Question: Does the remote replace the existing (stock) remote for the door locks, alarm and trunk or would I have to have both on my key ring? Cause that's pretty ghey IMO
Old 02-15-2006, 06:27 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

I don't care much for the rolling down the windows, but now that I think about it, if it could put the top down, that would be awesome. Too bad you have to manually release the top clamps and set the e-brake to do it[:@] I might swing by bestbuy and see how much the unit+install runs. Remote start with my Magnaflows would be cool.
I was thinking the same thing. Imagine walking through a parking lot and this loud sexy Mustang cranked up and the top went down, I'd hop in.
Old 02-15-2006, 06:30 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackbetty01

I was thinking the same thing. Imagine walking through a parking lot and this loud sexy Mustang cranked up and the top went down, I'd hop in.
I don't even want to imagine how much it would cost to make a mustang top completely electronic with remote capabilities. It would be kickass though
Old 02-15-2006, 07:38 PM
Car_Ramrod
4th Gear Member

Question: Does the remote replace the existing (stock) remote for the door locks, alarm and trunk or would I have to have both on my key ring? Cause that's pretty ghey IMO
i got a new remote with my security system.[
Old 02-15-2006, 08:35 PM
Stanghead96
2nd Gear Member

correct me if im wrong but with my key there is a chip that has to be programed so that my car would start....anyway my problem with the remote start was that i would have to leave a copy ($$)of the key in a box like thing so when i hit the botton the car would start.....also defeating the purpose of the chip in the key,, i happen to like that feature of the key so i decide not to get it done

just me though......................
Old 02-15-2006, 09:19 PM
BBond007
2nd Gear Member

can you tap into some wire somewhere to detect if the 5 speed is in neutral?

otherwise that would be insane.

I could just see my car rearending a police cruiser because I sat on my keys....

Quick Reply: remote start