4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Cobra vs. Cobra..what's the diff?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 03:50 AM
MTShambles
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Cobra vs. Cobra..what's the diff?

I think the engine is the same (Crankshaft might not be forged though), but obviously the intake system is different to accomidate for that shaker.

I do know that the heads are the same.

Thanks for the Cobra Compliment...it comes from owning one (I have a 96 of my own ).
Old 02-16-2006, 03:54 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MTShambles

I think the engine is the same (Crankshaft might not be forged though), but obviously the intake system is different to accomidate for that shaker.

I do know that the heads are the same.

Thanks for the Cobra Compliment...it comes from owning one (I have a 96 of my own ).
Hey is there a website to get all of this stuff, or did u just learn it bit by bit. Id like to know the differences between the C and B heads and all about the alluminum and iron blocks ect. links??/ Thanks
Old 02-16-2006, 04:04 AM
MTShambles
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT
Hey is there a website to get all of this stuff, or did u just learn it bit by bit. Id like to know the differences between the C and B heads and all about the alluminum and iron blocks ect. links??/ Thanks
I picked up mostly from SVTPerformance.com and just working in the business.

All 96-98 SN-95 Cobras have these damn B-Heads that have GREAT mid and top end, but lack bottom end. These cars really respond well to a higher gear ratio (4.10 to 4.30). They also have IMRC's (Intake Manifold Runner Control Valves) that open up at around 3250 RPM. They are basically butterfly valves that cover up the secondary ports for the engine in order to get more low end torque. Once the engine hits 3250 RPM, an actuator swings them open and the secondaries open WIDE up, giving that nice mid-high end kick that those 4v's are famous for.

Part of the reason why the 99/01's are faster is because of those C-Heads. They have a different design that gives them the low end torque that the B-heads missed. 99/01 Cobras dont have IMRC's, for they dont need them (and thats one less part to go wrong)

As far as blocks go, the 96-98 Actually has the stronger block of the years. A Teksid block. Its an all aluminum block that was made in Italy and sent over here to be put in the SN-95's. Those blocks can actually hold 1000+ HP, theyre that strong. Lighter weight than the 03/04 Blocks. However, the 03/04 Blocks are setup for boost right from the factory, while the 96-98's could use some forged internals. Some of the EARLY 99's did have a Teksid block dropped into them; however, those are rare, few, and far between. The 99 and 01 both have aluminum blocks, but they are not Teksid blocks and are a little weaker overall than the 03/04 and SN-95 Blocks.

SN-95's also have a solid axle, which makes them better for Drag Racing, while their 99-04 Counterparts have IRS, which is better for Autocross.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:11 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Hey, since you no everything about mustangs(seriously, lol) check this out.

Say I have an 01 cobra. Say my buddy has a 99-04 GT. Can we swap out rear ends part for part??? Would i need any kind of kit to do this??? I dont see why u couldnt just swap them peice for peice. What do u think?????
Old 02-16-2006, 04:16 AM
MTShambles
1st Gear Member

Yes, you can do a rear end swap between the two years. Its not like the 99-04 Cobras cant have a solid axle, it just takes a lot of time and installing in order to do the swap, and its all or nothing as well. After all, the body styles are exactly the same, just whats inside is a little different.

I would suggest upgrading the solid-axle rear end to a 31 spine though, as the GT doesnt have that many splines. Everything else would be the same though.

Most 03/04 Cobras that are pushing high HP (whipple superchargers/turbo, etc) opt to go with a solid rear axle because the IRS has a habit of shattering halfshafts due to wheel hop during launches. Those get expensive to replace.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:25 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Thank buddy, YOU DA MAN! Hey u work for mustang tuning????? Do yall have automotive engineers working for yall???? Mechanical engineers??????
Old 02-16-2006, 04:26 AM
MTShambles
1st Gear Member

lol, not really. We all kinda work on our own cars, but no major mechanics or engineers. We all are just car guys who learn everything from the industry .
Old 02-16-2006, 04:32 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

damnit. lol. I want to work in the mustang aftermarket for a living. Yall got any openings? lol
Old 02-16-2006, 04:34 AM
MTShambles
1st Gear Member

You can be my secretary, lol.
Old 02-16-2006, 04:48 AM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Hey, Ill think about it. lol

Quick Reply: Cobra vs. Cobra..what's the diff?