4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

NEW MEMBER, WITH IMPORTANT QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 06:03 AM
capri897

Default NEW MEMBER, WITH IMPORTANT QUESTIONS

Hows everyone doin? Good, my names Dan im currently deployed with the USMC and I own a 2002 Mustang Gt. Only mods so far are some x-pipe w/flowmasters,cold air intake, and a saleen body kit, inside and out, top to bottom...But i have some important questions id love to get some feedback from ya'll.. Ok i have money to spend and i really wanna build up some power when i get home. I was lookin into a Kenne Bell supercharger, about 9psi would give me like 405 RWHP. But some friends of mine have recommended getting like a stage II heads and cams package, with some new long tube headers and some 3:73 gears, with a chip and maybe a mass air kit, which would be like the same cost..Ive also had people recommend goin with a turbo...Im lookin for the most amount of HP i can efficiently run, with mostly stock parts. I have about $7000 to spend...Please i would love some good feedback, this is a big decision for me. Thanks alot
Old 02-16-2006, 11:51 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Default RE: NEW MEMBER, WITH IMPORTANT QUESTIONS

Hows it goin Dan, You will be better off asking these questions in the 4.6 mustang section there are more tech people in that section. Or maybe a Mod will be nice and move this for ya.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:14 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: capri897

Hows everyone doin? Good, my names Dan im currently deployed with the USMC and I own a 2002 Mustang Gt. Only mods so far are some x-pipe w/flowmasters,cold air intake, and a saleen body kit, inside and out, top to bottom...But i have some important questions id love to get some feedback from ya'll.. Ok i have money to spend and i really wanna build up some power when i get home. I was lookin into a Kenne Bell supercharger, about 9psi would give me like 405 RWHP. But some friends of mine have recommended getting like a stage II heads and cams package, with some new long tube headers and some 3:73 gears, with a chip and maybe a mass air kit, which would be like the same cost..Ive also had people recommend goin with a turbo...Im lookin for the most amount of HP i can efficiently run, with mostly stock parts. I have about $7000 to spend...Please i would love some good feedback, this is a big decision for me. Thanks alot
Okay, Kenne Bell will provide the most amount of HP you can efficently run with mostly stock parts. The stock block can only handle about 450hp MAX. Plus Turbo kits for Mustangs are expensive so you will spend close to your 7grand on just the kit, scratch that off the list. Stage two heads and cams with LT's and gears wouldn't give you nearly the power you are looking for unless you went with forged internals and some other things as well, so you would easily spend the 7 grand and still not have as much HP as if you went with a KB. I say for 7 grand buy the KB get someone to help you install it yourself, get a 75mm BBK throttle Body and Plenum, with some gears and a good dyno tune and your car will make you very happy.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:19 PM
SOHCtimes2
5th Gear Member

Out of the options you listed, I would definately say go with the KB supercharger, or some form of supercharger at least. You could easily get any one of the complete supercharger kits and install it yourself with the help of some mechanically inclined friends (or if you are yourself) and then get a nice dyno-tune and still be under your 7000 limit. Just my opinion.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:18 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackbetty01

ORIGINAL: capri897

Okay, Kenne Bell will provide the most amount of HP you can efficently run with mostly stock parts. The stock block can only handle about 450hp MAX. Plus Turbo kits for Mustangs are expensive so you will spend close to your 7grand on just the kit, scratch that off the list. Stage two heads and cams with LT's and gears wouldn't give you nearly the power you are looking for unless you went with forged internals and some other things as well, so you would easily spend the 7 grand and still not have as much HP as if you went with a KB. I say for 7 grand buy the KB get someone to help you install it yourself, get a 75mm BBK throttle Body and Plenum, with some gears and a good dyno tune and your car will make you very happy.
Ummmm dont the KB's replace that???
Old 02-16-2006, 01:30 PM
blackbetty01
4th Gear Member

Whoops, no plenum necessary... I just always think of them as a set. But you can buy the 75mm Throttle body from KB, it's considered an add-on, not a standard replacement part.
Old 02-16-2006, 01:31 PM
MustangMafia
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blackbetty01

Whoops, no plenum necessary... I just always think of them as a set. But you can buy the 75mm Throttle body from KB, it's considered an add-on, not a standard replacement part.
Ahh ok
Old 02-16-2006, 07:19 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

i would say 4.10s + KB at 9psi with full exhaust will get you some serious hp. Also get a good tune.