4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Rear end help: What else could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2006, 03:17 PM
nopropslaw
2nd Gear Member

Default Rear end help: What else could it be?

Recap: I have an 03 GT and my rearend was damaged because EZ lube left the plug out. Permanent whine from rear end. They are paying for the damage.

So I took my car to a mechanic my dad recomended. He took a look at my rear end and said the only damage he saw was to the ring and pinion. I purchased a new ring and pinion (used the oppurtunity to get 3.73's). While I was at it, I purchased the install kit that came with new pinion & carrier shims, crush sleeve, pinion seal, pinion nut, ring gear bolts and cover gasket, and pinion gear and carrier bearings. After he installed eveything and put it all back together, my car continues to make a whine, pretty much the same way. I took it back to him about a week later to have it checked again, and he said he made an adjustment on the ring and pinion but that he doesn't see anything else that is damaged. I asked if it could be the diff itself and he said it doesn't seem to be. What could be making this whine? The only part that didn't come with that install kit was axle shaft bearings and axle shaft seals. Could that be it? And I am kind of in a bind because I need to send the bill for everything to EZ lube to pay for this, and the longer I wait, the harder its going to be to get them to pay for this. So far I have paid for all of this out of pocket...Any ideas on what is continuing to make this whine? Its the loudest at low speeds (35) in low gear...

Old 02-16-2006, 03:23 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Default RE: What else could it be?

Whitch gear set did you buy? I have heard people complain about Richmond Gears having a whine to them.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:28 PM
MTShambles
1st Gear Member

What brand of gear? They might not be shimmed in to the best backlash.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:32 PM
nopropslaw
2nd Gear Member

Ford racing 3.73's. The whine was there after I drove around with no rear end fluid...And is still there.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:55 PM
nopropslaw
2nd Gear Member

any other ideas?
Old 02-16-2006, 04:24 PM
MTShambles
1st Gear Member

Sounds to me that something isnt either seated right, or something else was damaged. Without being in the rear end, I couldnt tell you.

Edit: What gear oil weight did he use?
Old 02-16-2006, 05:57 PM
nopropslaw
2nd Gear Member

not sure what oil...I know that he told me he put in an additive that was needed since its a limited slip...Is there a certain kind that MUST be in there, or it would cause this noise?
Old 02-16-2006, 06:22 PM
angcobra
4th Gear Member

Did you say you changed the pinion bearing?
Axle bearing will usually change sound when you turn left or right.

Was you installer qualified to do diffs? When you change the gears and use the crush sleeve if you don't follow the procedure to get the right amount of preload on the pinion, you can overcrush the sleeve, put too much load on the pinion bearing and get a whine.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:33 PM
Tim37
4th Gear Member

ez lube paying humm i think you need a new posi unit might as well go ahead and get a detroit locker.

seriously you might have damaged the wheel bearings.
Old 02-16-2006, 07:33 PM
nopropslaw
2nd Gear Member

all new parts except axle shaft bearings and actual diff unit...He said the diff was not damged...AS far as I know he is qualified. He was recomomened to me and specalzes in muscle cars-he has 2 sting rays and 2 camaro's...And works on all sorts of stangs, etc...I don't know what the hell this problem is...So you think maybe we put to much load on the pinion bearing? What I don't understang is that it makes the same noise as before he replaced those parts...Almost as if those had nothng to do with the problem...

Quick Reply: Rear end help: What else could it be?